Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM

912 posts, read 1,889,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I certainly understand how "fashion" would influence the perceived "glamor" of a city. With Neiman Marcus' headquarters in Dallas, it is certainly a city that appreciates new trends in nice clothes. There is also the design district and the mercantile center -- all of which deal with new trends in clothes.

Additionally, the arts will influence the perception of a city. The Nasher Sculpture Garden as well as other venues in the arts district provide really great opportunities to see art found in few other cities. So I think that also adds to our reputation.

Whether Dallas is a glamorous city is all relative on your perception. In my experience, people from other smaller cities in the South, Southwest and Midwest seem to think it is a cool town with a lot of influence. Generally, people from NYC and LA don't. That being said, I've known a few from those towns who come here and were actually expecting people on horseback riding across the town. Seeing the Nasher, the modern skyline and our great restaurants quickly changed their views.
People in Houston often overlook the huge amount of work that the city of Dallas had to put into things in order to establish them. Lightrail was one example of this. Houston kind of hurried their version of lightrail in comparison. Another example of a lot of work producing "classics" is the neighborhood of Uptown and the Art's District in downtown sitting across from each other in central Dallas. These two districts took over thirty years of planning and a lot of hard work.
All told, when you think of the State Fair of Texas, the Dallas Convention Center, the Art's District, the northern neighborhood of Uptown, the Dallas Market Center, and the many commercial shopping districts north of there along Preston Corridor, Dallas certainly is the glamour capital of the southwest as well as the south.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,017,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Matt, you may want to advise Andres Aquino; the show producer for Couture Fashion Week, of your sentments. He made a decision to bring a Couture Fashion Week Event to Dallas. Do you feel he's misguided?

This is what Mr. Aquino said in a interview with fashionshowsusa.com:

When asked “Why Dallas?”, Mr. Aquino replied “Because Dallas is one of the country’s most important centers of style and sophistication with a large population of upscale fashion-conscious consumers. We are excited to be bringing a series of original highly creative fashion shows to Dallas.”

Couture Fashion Week Dallas, Dallas Fashion Week
I wonder why it is that more Miss Texas USA's have come from Houston than Dallas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Texas_USA

I counted 16 representing Houston & 11 representing Dallas/Fort Worth.

How's that for being "glamorous", Dallas?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-11-2010 at 03:05 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times
Dallas may be fashionable, but it's not glamorous. There is a difference.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,773,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wonder why it is that more Miss Texas USA's have come from Houston than Dallas?

Miss Texas USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dude, youre grasping at straws. One doesnt have to do with the other.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardBBQ24 View Post
No it isn't. Dallas may be the glamor capital of North Texas, but that's where it ends.

The difference between Dallas, New York and Paris is that is people from New York and Paris NEVER have to try to convince people that their cities are glamorous.

Dallasites have been trying to convince people that Dallas is glamorous for decades - and they still have to try to sell the idea. If you have to put this much effort into calling yourself glamorous, you aren't.
Couture Fashion Week Dallas, Dallas Fashion Week

The Global Language Monitor » Fashion

Go re-read these and get back to us. Bear in mind the person who did the Fashion Capital study is not from Dallas or Texas as is Andres Aquino.

Give credit where credit is due.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Dallas may be fashionable, but it's not glamorous. There is a difference.
I can totally accept that. I dont find Dallas glamourous, but I do think it is hands down the most fashionable city in Texas and with the best shopping.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,272,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Miss Texas USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh please. A friend of mine was Miss Waco. She was a Baylor student from Fayettville Arkansas. Does that make Waco glamorous?

MetroMatt is to Dallas what Mister Nifty is to Houston. You'll find anything, however obscure, to attempt to prove your point.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Oh please. A friend of mine was Miss Waco. She was a Baylor student from Fayettville Arkansas. Does that make Waco glamorous?

MetroMatt is to Dallas what Mister Nifty is to Houston. You'll find anything, however obscure, to attempt to prove your point.
Can I get an Amen!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,381,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardBBQ24 View Post
No it isn't. Dallas may be the glamor capital of North Texas, but that's where it ends.

The difference between Dallas, New York and Paris is that is people from New York and Paris NEVER have to try to convince people that their cities are glamorous.

Dallasites have been trying to convince people that Dallas is glamorous for decades - and they still have to try to sell the idea. If you have to put this much effort into calling yourself glamorous, you aren't.

Look, when it comes to glamor, Dallas is like some pimplely faced, nerd in school that wears a shirt that says "I'm Cool" strutting down the hallway as all actual cool kids are laughing at him. Houston is more like the normal kid that taped a sign to his back that says "ass". And New York and Paris are the actual cool kids who are rolling on the floor laughing at the sad yet hilarious spectacle.

And if the Texas State Fair is what you consider glamorous in Dallas, no wonder you have to type your fingers to the bone every night trying so hard to convince people that Dallas is glamorous. Even the most loyal Dallasite knows you are full of it.
The Global Language Monitor ranks Dallas #31 in the World as a Fashion Capital.

The Global Language Monitor » Milan upends New York as Top Fashion Capital

Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM

912 posts, read 1,889,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The Global Language Monitor ranks Dallas #31 in the World as a Fashion Capital.

The Global Language Monitor » Milan upends New York as Top Fashion Capital
Considering the other things Dallas has going for it, 31st in the world is still impressive. Having more stores per capita than any other city in the United States backs up its status. Having the largest wholesale market center in one place in the world further backs up the status. Being home base for JC Penneys and Neiman Marcus doesn't hurt. Glamour to me is all about perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas