Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 20,407 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are a mixed race couple with 2 small children. We are both artists and I am an avid urban homesteader. I am from Dayton originally and have this desire to return with what I have learned in the many places I have lived all these years. We really love the older homes (in these areas)and the price tags can't be beat. We are a very liberal couple who want to be a positive influence to those around us. I.E. be the solution and not the problem. Currently we live in Portland Oregon. For us to even get a decent home in an ok area we are looking at over 170K( for a semi fixer upper) and frankly that is ridiculous. It's not that cool here. We have been living a very urban life thus far (we are home leasers in a very walkable area with 300K+ homes), the schools in the neighborhoods we could afford have low marks like most of the Dayton schools, so no biggie. I have heard of the scholarship programs in Dayton and we would look into that. My husband is also in the military (USAF) and hopefully will get on at WPAFB.
I have been reading a lot of the Dayton forums and I have read mixed reactions to what people see for the future of Dayton. I love a little grit and rough edges. Dayton is reminding me of Portland in the 90's. I am not a fan of suburbs presently. I am a big fan of amazing architecture and walkable neighborhoods with side walks. BTW the houses in these neighborhoods and the neighborhoods in general be they in Portland, would run 500K or MORE no joke. Are there a lot of middle class blacks in these areas? Portland is a very WHITE city and I would love for our children to know more diversity, besides our immediate family here.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,361 times
This is an interesting related discussion from 2007:

Dayton View Triangle

Dayton is full of attractive older housing stock inhabited by angry, dangerous underclasses. That's actually not a bad generalization - the most stately homes in Dayton are often in the oldest areas where there has been the most social stress.

About the region: I'm a local who moved around the country for my career and moved back years ago, so I can compare Dayton to other areas.

Frankly, Dayton is quite economically depressed and there is nothing going on here that is likely to boost Dayton's prospects in the forseeable future. It's more than grit and rough edges; Daytonians in general don't really like their city or most other residents, and most want to be someplace else. Socially, most people around Dayton, specifically middle class professionals, find cliques and social settings in churches, business and social organizations to be their mainstays. People don't mix here. That not liking others thing. Daytonians are quite xenophobic and antisocial.

Dayton has rampant suburbanization around its edges, including a third tier of suburbs (first tier == post WWII to 1960s, second tier 1960s to 2000, and third tier is to the present day.) In other words, a lot of areas around Dayton that were considered elite and desirable in 1980 are considered dumpy and mainly good rental ownership areas today. This highly suburbanized pattern directly impacts the walkability aspects you mentioned.

If you want urban amenities, Dayton really isn't walkable. The only exception is the Oregon District. There are not a lot of middle class blacks close to the urban core of Dayton. Nor middle class anyone else. I think TomJones123 on this forum recently stated that Dayton is one of the least walkable (or walked) cities in which he's lived. I can believe it.

With your interests, Oregon District is your only feasible choice. A runner up is Oakwood near its business district, but that is hardly diverse; or the UD South Park area. None of these areas are that diverse, either. They mostly contain people who are struggling to find just a scrap of urbanism in Dayton.

Most people from the base live in Beavercreek (sanitized Fox news watching enclave style suburbia) or if they want a counterculture vibe they live in Yellow Springs.

What you seek can't be readily satisfied in Dayton.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 01-12-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM

Thanks Ohioan58.
ANYONE ELSE care to add a more positive vibe ? Certainly not all Daytonians are xenophobic and without vision.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenp1110 View Post
Thanks Ohioan58.
ANYONE ELSE care to add a more positive vibe ? Certainly not all Daytonians are xenophobic and without vision.
I'm all out of energy at the moment, and have a big problem underfoot.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,361 times
Here's another (current) thread for the OP: St. Anne's Hill

This might be closer to what you are looking for.

What I described above is the overall direction and vibe of Dayton. You won't get away from that. But there are gentrified pockets in the city. St. Anne's Hill is extremely residential, not "metropolitan", a pocket that has been restored.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Saint Anne's Hill, McPherson Town, Oregon District, South Park. None are would I would call walkable, though the Oregon District and South Park are somewhat walkable. All of the neighborhoods I mentioned have friendlier people for Dayton. Dayton is very cliquish and hard on transplants. Personally, for what you like, you will not find it in Dayton. Ohioan58 was not being negative, but honest.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,087,611 times
It would be nice if Dayton was a 90's version of Portland. It would mean we are due for a drastic turnaround. Whether we are or not, you said you were originally from Dayton. Thus, you probably understand the negativity to an extent.

As with any internet board, take everything with a grain of salt. Not every Dayton metro resident is on here so certainly there are people who do care about Dayton and its future. Granted, I'd say a majority of people probably hold a negative view of the city proper.

Personally, I would choose South Park, Oregon or Saint Anne's over the neighborhoods you first mentioned. Still, I know of folks who live nice quiet lives in Five Oaks just as there are probably people running drugs in the high end suburbs. Just make sure you see the place first. Don't just visit one time and buy, but try coming by at different times of the day. There are a number of (higher-end) bars on Fifth (the main drag for the Oregon District). That has always turned me off to that historic district as a place of residence. South Park is more residential but is close to a number of positive amenities, including MVH, UD, Brown St, Wayne Ave, and downtown. It's a big district though, so some parts are better kept than others. If only the city leadership wasn't boneheaded about the new Kroger project 5 years back at Wayne and Wyoming. That would have been a nice shot in the arm.

Regardless, I hope you find what you are looking for in Dayton. My piece of advice. Have at least one car, as getting around Dayton via public transit is nothing like Portland. Good luck with your move and keep us updated!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,180 times
It's difficult to get all the things you want in a single package here in dayton. If you love amazing architecture, the closest area to downtown is going to be out near the boonshoft museum and wegerzyn garden center via deweese parkway which offers some great mid century architecture. The bike trail goes through there and it is quite scenic with riverside trails. Also quite a few cops and firemen live in that neighborhood, so it is relatively safe. There is fantastic mid century modernist architecture further north also in the Shiloh springs area that can be had for a song but it is a good 15 minute drive out of downtown and not so urban. Plus the neighborhood is sketchy.

There are a few good condos downtown with excellent architecture but the price is higher than you're seeking.

There are unique and lovely examples of architecture here and there, in different neighborhoods, which stand out among the repetitive generic crap that is so prominent here but you will usually be sacrificing one or another of your desires to attain it.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,408 times
I love that you want all these things and are hoping you'll find them in Dayton. But sadly, I have to agree with the others. I think you'd be mostly happy in Yellow Springs. There are some cool old houses there, its not far from the base. Its liberal, and really embraces mixed race couples. Having a biracial child myself, I can tell you that our experience was not good in the Dayton metro area at all. I wanted to be the change that the area needed but I couldn't do it at the expense of my child. We're a military family too, so thankfully, we moved on to better things. I grew up in the Dayton area too, and its just different now. But like I said, if I had to live there, Yellow Springs would be my happy place.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 PM

Thank you all for responding!
Lots of info to digest.. I guess I should clarify my idea of walkable.. all I meant was side walks.. not being able to walk to amenities. ( I noticed Beavercreek does not have sidewalks) As for cliques, I am a mother of 2 small children and I could care less about cliques etc, I am not in high school anymore and rarely have time for socializing with adults. I guess perhaps why so many locals have a chip on their shoulders regarding new-comers is that maybe they have never been (lived) anywhere besides Dayton. I have friends all around Ohio and the country for that matter as well as my best friend and her family who moved outside of Yellow Springs from Portland a few years back. Also I was born in Dayton and moved away when I was only 4. We lived on Alameda place while my father was in the methodist seminary. I suppose that is why I have such a strong feeling about that area around the old seminary, it takes me back to my early childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton