Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,184,056 times

Advertisements

My favorite was Rons...back when they were a chain I used to have Rons delivered quite a bit. Ive been to their main location maybe twice, but plan on a return trip in September for an impromptu pizza party w. some friends....I guess I'll see if they are as good as I remembered. I liked their pizza because there was more gooy goodness and less (ie thin) crust, vs the usual pizza places which give you a lot of crust vis a vis the toppings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,705,916 times
I got hooked on Ron's from the location of the Ron's pusher at Normandy Square Shopping Center next to Chmiel's. Like any pusher's product, it seemed innocent enough until the cravings would not stop.

We went there because Flying Pizza a few doors down, my original destination, was closed.

I have seen a few other Ron's locations cited: one in Camden, and the bar in downtown Bellbrook serves Ron's or did last time I checked.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
I loved the turkey pretz sandwiches.

I can't say I've noticed a change in taste (had one last week) tastes like Marian's to me.

I agree that they are too pricey for what they are. I won't buy a pie unless I have a coupon.

Whoever mentioned Pizza Factory, yep, they are great.

I loved eating at the Godfather's in the 70s.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,578,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I loved the turkey pretz sandwiches.

I can't say I've noticed a change in taste (had one last week) tastes like Marian's to me.

I agree that they are too pricey for what they are. I won't buy a pie unless I have a coupon.

Whoever mentioned Pizza Factory, yep, they are great.

I loved eating at the Godfather's in the 70s.

Oooooh, I forgot about Godfather's - anybody remember Noble Roman's - there used to be one up by the Dayton Mall. I remember they had somebody spinning pizza dough when you walked in - and a bunch of us girls used to go there for lunch. The sauce was piled on very heavily - and it was sort of tart and the dough was usually kinda thick and chewy. It was a LOT of food as I recall. I also remember Flying Pizza which served a huge slice of pizza - again, wayyyyyy too much food!!! Ah, strolling down memory lane again.....

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,578,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Pizza Factory and Don's Pizza in Germantown both duly noted for future methodical scientific research.

Ron's in M-burg has been very reliable for us and hews to the classic thin crust preparation style. I had considered Marion's to be a good substitute up to this last visit, but this experience knocks it completely out of consideration.

Unless things have changed a LOT - Don's Pizza has an extremely small area to eat in - most folks either have it delivered if they live in town, or pick it up and drive it home to eat it there. They also have those huge steak sandwiches with either peppers and onions and cheese and a brown "gravy" sauce, or with pizza sauce and cheese as well as other various types of sandwiches and even spaghetti dinners. Those were good, too. Don's is reminiscent of Ron's from Miamisburg although I never liked Ron's as well.

Eat some for me, will ya???

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,169,063 times
Now it sounds like I will have to try Dons haha.

I like how most of Dayton's best pizza places have generic male names... Don's, Ron's, Joe's, etc. guess it just show our blue collar roots.

To address Ohioan58's OP, I've never had an issue with Marion's Big Cheese. But their other pizzas have been more hit or miss. Bizarrely, Cassanos has seemed to have a resurgence in popularity recently. So maybe they are worth a shot....

Also, I don't like Flying Pizza (not that anyone cares, but I will announce it anyways). It just reminds me of the cheap, bad pizza we have in Oxford (like Brunos, which is horrible). But I'm not big on New York style pizza. I don't see whats supposed to be different about it than Papa Johns or Dominos. If I'm going to get cheap pizza, I'll choose Cousin Vinny's - their pizza is delicious!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 AM

133 posts, read 195,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Thanks for the reality check. Marion's is an expensive product for its type, to be so incredibly mediocre.

However, we ate at Milano's newish location in Springboro a couple of years ago and the pizza ingredients were a bit better, but it had the same kind of prefab crust.
Hmm, that's surprising. Milanos makes all their bread / crust in house.

Last edited by AndyMac1407; 08-13-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 AM

133 posts, read 195,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Now it sounds like I will have to try Dons haha.

I like how most of Dayton's best pizza places have generic male names... Don's, Ron's, Joe's, etc. guess it just show our blue collar roots.

To address Ohioan58's OP, I've never had an issue with Marion's Big Cheese. But their other pizzas have been more hit or miss. Bizarrely, Cassanos has seemed to have a resurgence in popularity recently. So maybe they are worth a shot....
I'm not sure if it is still there. But, the Cassano's at Indian Lake was (is?) the best. When we had a place up there we made it a point to go every time. They only had one or two ovens (no chain drive) and every pizza was cooked perfect. They also had the London Bobby fish and chips . Making me hungry at 7 in the morning!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM

164 posts, read 382,463 times
I've despised Marion's since I moved here six-ish years ago... never have understood the affection for unflavored tomato paste on a baked saltine.

(Yes, I know dem's fightin' words in these parts!)

Still, I do sometimes wonder if maybe, just maybe, it used to be kind of good and I'm too new to have ever tasted the "legendary" product.

Wouldn't put too much money on that bet, however.

-------------

For those of us on the southern end of town, I'll take Carmela's in Springboro (and now Centerville as well I hear) any day. Vastly superior product.

Ron's is decent if you're in the mood for "Dayton style" too.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,303,881 times
Must have went down really quick. Had one last winter at the location on Keowee/Dixie and it seemed good per usual.

Thanks for the warning. If it's really that bad now, I'll pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton