Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM

33 posts, read 45,443 times

Advertisements

I have so many questions!! We are a young family with three small children, one is school age, moving across the U.S. to wright Patterson Afb. We'd like to live off base and have some space and the best school district possible! We love outdoors, hiking, biking, playgrounds are a must..we don't want to be TO far from a grocery store and relatively close to the elementary school is ideal! So far I've found that brookville and bellbrook are looking very appealing but I'm not sure what's acsilable out there in our price range and if I'm possibly over looking somewhere more fitting for our family.. We'd prefer to rent $1,500 a month or less.. If we buy our budget is 200,000 .. Excited to see all the advice areas and tips! Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Welcome to Dayton! You posted at a good time (just finished up a reply to a similar thread haha)

Anyways, I'll start by asking - what drew you to the two houses you found so far?

Your price range will go a long way around here, buying or renting. Renting is a lot more expensive in these parts though, just because housing prices are so low, so if you're going to stay for 2 or 3+ years I'd definitely buy instead of rent.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 PM

We aren't 100% of how long we will be there but we were trying to find a house that if we did buy and had to move that we wouldn't have a problem renting out until we move back.
There truly is not a specific house, I've been All over online trying to find rentals in bellbrook and brookville and can't find anything! I don't know if I'm looking in all the wrong places or what but it's slightly disappointing.
Specifically with brookville and bellbrook I like the small town feel, as far as parks and such it seems from what I've found that bellbrook has more to offer? Not sure if that's correct or not? But the other big thing was the school ratings seem spectacular and it's still a smaller student body so smaller student to teacher ratio which is really important to us.
Thanks for answering so quickly! I'm excited to find a house in our price range! So far it's been rather disappointing!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Just saw this so I'll answer these too !
Where you are working? Af base

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
Rental 1,500 or below buying 200,000 or below
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate at most 35 mins
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Small town, safe area, playgrounds are a must, but NOT houses right on top of each other we need some space
-Community amenities important to you? Depends
-Pie or cake? Pie!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
^You would be correct, Bellbrook has a lot more to offer and overall it's a much nicer small town.

I'm really not trying to knock Brookville here, but it doesn't offer too much. Few restaurants, no stores, downtown is very small (and oddly enough seems to have kind of a "country western" feel to it IMO....). But it makes up for it with a lot of nicely built new houses, great schools, nice parks, and a very solid industry base.

If you're going for small towns, I'd put Germantown and Tipp City at the top of your list. Here's some places that are nicely updated or new, in your budget, and are walkable to their historic core communities.

Germantown:
59 Megan Ln, Germantown, OH 45327 is For Rent - Zillow (rental, right by a community park and a large metropark)
113 S Plum St, Germantown, OH 45327 is For Sale - Zillow (right in town, historic)
1132 N Cherry St, Germantown, OH 45327 is For Sale - Zillow (not walkable but has 3.5 acres)

Tipp City:
203 W Main St, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale - Zillow (if you want a mansion. It's been on the market forever so I'd be willing to bet they'll come down to $200k. If you did buy and leave, you could make a fortune off it with AirBNB)
115 S 3rd St, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale - Zillow (beautiful place in town, well under budget)
582 Storm Ct, Tipp City, OH 45371 is For Sale - Zillow (newer, more suburban. Close to nice park)

Bellbrook is nice, but it lacks a significant small-town core like Tipp City or Germantown have. So if you were interested in a more walkable setting and having locally-owned shops and restaurants nearby then these two communities would be far more conductive to that lifestyle than Bellbrook. But if you're just going for a small-ish school system and are ok with a primarily suburban/rural feel, all three would fit the bill. The big upside of Bellbrook is the significantly shorter commute.

Yellow Springs may also be a consideration depending on your tolerance of a 1970's Berkeley-esque type town (it's home of Antioch College). To give you an idea, Dave Chapelle of Comedy Central fame retreated here (and still lives in town) after turning down the $50mil contract CC offered him, and yes he fits in perfectly in town. It's a highly desirable place to live and housing prices are the highest in the area so $200k wouldn't go too far. A big upside is the short commute from here to WPAFB, which is almost as short as the Bellbrook commute. Here's some options:
126 N Walnut St, Yellow Springs, OH 45387 is For Sale - Zillow (nice property right in town, but over budget)
480 Polecat Rd, Yellow Springs, OH 45387 is For Sale - Zillow (nicely landscaped suburban property that's walkable to town, could use some updates)
202 Allen St, Yellow Springs, OH 45387 is For Sale - Zillow (if you're into modern architecture this might be a good spot)

If you are ok with a urban-feel small town, Oakwood would also be a great choice. It's Dayton's only distinctly old-money area. The houses are older, because it feels like a wealthy city neighborhood a city neighborhood that just happens to be its own unique city with a separate school district which is the area's best. Here's some options there:
26 Corona Ave, Dayton, OH 45419 is For Sale - Zillow
324 Claranna Ave, Dayton, OH 45419 is For Sale - Zillow
361 East Dr, Dayton, OH 45419 is For Sale - Zillow
All three are nice cottages in historic Oakwood with good, walkable locations to the schools, parks, and shopping available in town (which includes the excellent Dorothy Lane Market).

I know I'm throwing a lot of info your way, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have so I can help narrow this list down some. Or expand it if these communities don't meet your criteria.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,449,247 times
I'd recommend Bellbrook and Kettering for what you are looking for, though there are many options. You will probably be able to get more in your price range in Kettering. One interesting thing is you can live in Bellbrook, Sugarcreek Township, Kettering, or Centerville and be really close to the other cities. At least back where I live. I live in Kettering and am less than 5 minutes from all of them. The Tipp City area is another place I would look at.

Here is an example in Kettering. This house is right by a school and a park. The school is an elementary school. Not sure why it is listed as a junior high school on the map.

5101 Polen Dr, Dayton, OH 45440 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM

We want more of a rural feel but still have a small town If that makes sense. Were there any listings in bellbrook you could find ohkid? Germantown is TO close to cinncinatti my husband said. Tipp city's school district looked bigger than I wanted, we had also looked at Troy but that's still bigger than we wanted for a area and schools. How are the parks in bellbrook? Honestly, I did get the western feel out of brookville we are currently in Wyoming and I am over western! As far as houses we want some space from neighbors so preferably no suburbia feel, single family home no duplex twin home or apartment, has to have a back yard we'd really like a little land even just half a acre something.
any tips? Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM

Well, Kettering is probably not what you want if that is what you are looking for. Don't really know enough about some of the areas you will probably want to look at. I am sure there are others who will though.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah is Kettering centerville & beavercrek more suburbia??

Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomma21 View Post
Yeah is Kettering centerville & beavercrek more suburbia??
I guess. Most of it at least. Though there are some parts, especially Centerville, that aren't as much. Centerville, Bellbrook, Sugarcreek Township, etc.... will come closer to what you are looking for, but cost more. There are some other places outside of those cities that might be what you are looking for. I'm wondering if Waynesville might be a place you might want to look at. You probably want to look at villages and townships around the cities already mentioned.

https://maps.google.com/maps?psj=1&b...classic&dg=brw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton