Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,876 times

Advertisements

We are an african american family moving to Dayton Ohio. My husband will be working at Wright Patt. i keep hearing that Ohio is very racist. I am really afraid to move here and is considering staying behind and just send my husband. Can someone please let me know of some diverse cities and safe places to raise a family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM

285 posts, read 642,032 times
Yellow Springs is a very liberal town and the home of Antioch College (Also known for being the home of Dave Chappelle, who has noted in interviews that people there are friendly and genuine). It is also not far from Wright Patterson.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:49 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Dayton is pretty racist, but they make an exception for blacks affiliated with WPAFB since they are considered OK, more middle class in values. In-migrants seem to live all over, but blacks from this area, native to this area who work at the base seem to prefer Trotwood, as this is a middle class suburban and quasi-rural area that is mostly black (sort of like south DeKalb County near Atlanta)

And yes, Yellow Springs is quite liberal and has had a historically black community, dating back to the Civil War era (YS was a center for abolitionism). Yellow Springs is also quite educated, having the highest number of Masters and PhD holders per population in the metro area. Yellow Springs also gets a lot of transplants, people who don't like the general cultural conservatism and ignorance of the Dayton area move here as its more congenial to their values and life-styles.

For black folks with a more afro-centric interest, nearby is Wilberforce, which has two historically black colleges, Central State (state-supported) and Wilberforce (private, and with some church affliation). This is a fairly small place, though, compared to Yellow Springs.

I think you'll find suburbs that have a lot of base people, military and civilian, will be less racist. This would be Beavercreek, mostly. Perhaps a few others.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I have to disagree with you about Dayton being a racist city. I currently live in East Dayton and have white, black and Hispanic neighbors. No problems out of anybody.

I do agree with you about Trotwood and Yellow Springs.

I don't think the OP will have a problem in Dayton or the immediate area. What is more important is your budget. You also mention a family. Do you have kids? If so, I would avoid the Trotwood and Dayton public school systems.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
I live in Beavercreek and work in Xenia and do not find either place to be racist. I would imagine if you traveled away from the city and burbs a bit to a small town, you might find some racism. But I really would not know, since I very rarely visit small towns around Dayton. I have lived in southern Indiana and central Kentucky and I have found the Dayton area to be much less racist.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
One thing I will say is that Dayton seems rather segregated. This however, is more along class lines (which ties a little bit to race). Old-money is in Oakwood, Newer Money is in Centerville/Springboro, the impovershed live on the West Side of Dayton, etc. But I would not go as far as saying Dayton and its suburbs make for a racist city.

Most people here are pretty welcoming, but again, the smaller towns may be best for most new people to avoid due to the close-knit community that creates. The rural areas also tend to lean rather far right, whereas the major cities tend to counter-act that and lean left.

The larger suburbs (Beavercreek, Centerville, Northmont) are decent and somewhat diverse (for Ohio). Also, if private school is an option, than historic neighborhoods like South Park, Oregon District, and St. Anne's Hill may be an option. These are in Dayton itself and are Dayton Public Schools. Yellow Springs would be another possibility.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Ohio is not racist in the least compared to most regions around the country. It is a very accepting state. Don't be fearful, and do not hesitate to move. Wright Patt is a very diverse base.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 10,826 times
Where do you keep hearing that Ohio is racist from? That's not something I've ever heard. I wouldn't worry.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Racism (or prejudice) around here is not overt (people are quite polite face to face), more a privately held opinion that is occasionally shared. And it is more the older generations and less-educated that have these opinions and stereotypes.

Places mentioned here, like Beavercreek and Centerville (and Yellow Springs) have a more educated and sometimes a younger population, so less prejudice...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM

390 posts, read 1,047,678 times
I honestly don't know who told you Dayton was racist...but that just isn't true. I would say its one of the most tolerant metros in the midwest. Even the richest suburb, is really diverse. Some of the further out towns might be...but that's just America...not Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton