Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times

Advertisements

I was looking through some newspaper articles about my younger daughter when she was serving in Iraq and hope you dont mind if I post a couple of photos from that article.

I think I've mentioned that she's a Physician's Assistant (PA). When she wasnt out on patrol in Iraq, she treated both US army personnel and Iraqi citizens. She said that, without the American doctors and PA's there, most Iraqis would never have gotten any medical treatment.

Here's a photo of a typical day's line of Iraqi citizens waiting to see the 3 doctors/PA's. There were 320 Iraqis in line that day:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/Joey-320Iraqisinlinetosee3Armydoctors4-2007.jpg (broken link)

Here she is treating an Iraqi family:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/Joeynewspaperarticle.jpg (broken link)

And here she was on patrol, making friends with the Iraqi villagers. She's the one on the far right, hidden underneath the helmet/sunglasses and protective gear:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/JoeyontherightwithIraqiVillagers4-2007.jpg (broken link)

She's pretty much recovered from the physical injuries she sustained in the IED blast. I dont know if the psychological wounds will ever heal totally but she's doing better.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Thanks so much for posting those TFW! Personal war pictures always have a special look to them than you hardly ever see on the pictures on the news. Personal pictures tell the real story. Your daughter is pretty. The psychological impact of being in a war is tough on everyone who is there. I do hope she's been able to get on with her life. I lost my fiance in the first few months of the war. They didn't have enough PHONE BATTERIES, so due to a communication accident, he actually was killed by his own battalion. Can't imagine the guilt those poor young boys must have carried home.

My heart always goes out to all those kids who are considered old enough to fight a war for us, but not considered mature enough to buy a beer at the 7-11!!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 AM

HAPPY SUNDAY MORNING TO EVERYONE!

I got home from work yesterday and started watching 'Borgia' on Netflix. I guess it was a series on HBO or Starz....not sure. It was about the Borgia family who was once the leaders, and Pope, in the 1400's. The plan was to watch 1 episode while I ate lunch, then watch the rest later. I was up until 3 AM watching the first 12 episodes.

I still have 2 left.

No plans for today. My daughter is taking Israel to the bike park along the river across from our house. Other than that, we are just going to relax and I guess I'll spend most of mine posting. I'm sure I have some catching up to do in the way of freebies.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/cartoon-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
Hi again

Just got a message from Charley's son ...Charley and Marlene have ben without power since 6PM will be back when it is back.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Hi again

Just got a message from Charley's son ...Charley and Marlene have ben without power since 6PM will be back when it is back.
Oh my gosh, first they were hit by the hurricane with all that water and now no electric.

For those of you who don't know Charley, he is a beloved member of CD who posts on The Cozy Inn on the CD Community Forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...er-2011-a.html

Super great guy who has been battling cancer, but still manages to send smiles to everyone else all day long. It's folks like him, and you guys, that make posting on CD a joy.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I lost my fiance in the first few months of the war. They didn't have enough PHONE BATTERIES, so due to a communication accident, he actually was killed by his own battalion. Can't imagine the guilt those poor young boys must have carried home.
Thanks, Glory. My daughter is pretty (picture a prettier Julia Roberts) but you really cant see her face in the photos. And she is getting on with her life, although what she saw and experienced in Iraq will probably be with her forever. She had a difficult time in Desert Storm too but that was a different deal entirely.

I'm so sorry about your fiance. The same thing happened in Iraq earlier this year due to an error in reading a GPS. I agree that the guilt must be a terrible burden.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM

It sounds as though crazyworld may have intended to post about Charley on The Cozy Inn. I'll be praying for him.

The weather is lovely here this weekend. I'd prefer a few days of heavy rain but at least we have cool temps...40's at night and 70's in the day. I'm really enjoying the portable screen door these days. Queenie can go in and out through it and the magnets in the middle close it automatically.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/HomePatioScreenDoor1.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-30-2011, 11:45 AM

You have a lovely yard TFW! I really like how the flowers are still holding up and have their bright color. You had a good idea there!
The screen curtain also looks great. I'm surprised more people don't use them on their open porches to keep mosquitos out in Florida.
My porch happens to be screened, but lots of people who rent don't.

I hate Sunday TV. There is rarely anything on that is any good. I tried to do a split screen program on my computer so I could
watch movies online and post at the same time, but this never seems to work quite right for me. I just want a little TV box that comes
up on the bottom right of my screen that's about 4 X 4 inches. I'm sure I can find one online SOMEWHERE that works right. I would
even be willing to pay for it.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
Oh boy good thing I came back here...that message re Charley was supposed to go to the Cozy Inn......oooooops

Thanks for posting those pics...I have a Dad whose little girl I take care of and he was in IRAQ. He personally got hit with 3 IED's. One caused a brain injury and back and hip. He has had multiple surgeries. Luckily for his brain he has short term memory loss. He is always in pain with the injuries but doesn't let it get him down or at least what I can see but he does supper terribly from PTSD..so sad
My nephew was there 3 times and we are lucky there were no injuries.
Our neice has also been there. She said she was never in any danger..she was Air Force.

So young and the stuff they have all seen in their young lives.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM

I saw this and laughed:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/elderly.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff