Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post
Hey, me too! ... that %GRRR#%! Sears wouldn't budge. They kept their rate at whatever it was back then. ... And I haven't even looked at one of their flyers since. They all go directly into recycle. I won't even walk thru their store.HA, that'll teach them. LOL But it's nice to know I'm not the only one, TFW. So thanks for posting that.

I've read that Sears is very tough for negotiating. My problem was that I took my car to them for a "free" checkup and was told that I needed a front brake job and the rear rotors turned. I ended up paying a lot as a result of that "free" checkup.

Then, about three weeks later, I told someone about it and he told me that the Sears techs were supposed to sell brake jobs that month and, if I took my car to any Sears that month, they'd tell me the same thing.

I didnt believe him and did take my car to another Sears for the "free" checkup. Would you believe they told me that I needed a front brake job and the rear rotors turned?

I was livid and announced, in front of all the customers there, that I had just had that same work done at another Sears. Big Mistake! They got mad at me and took SIX HOURS to put my tires back on and give the car back to me. I had to sit there the whole day.

But now I tell everyone about how crooked Sears auto repair shops are -- and I've been boycotting everything about Sears ever since.

Edited to add that a co-worker told me that she had filed bankruptcy about 10 years ago. One of the creditors was Sears...for a water heater that she had bought 2-3 years prior to filing. Apparently she was making minimal payments on it and it wasnt paid off completely by the time she filed. No creditors showed up at the hearing -- except Sears. Someone from Sears actually showed up and insisted on getting the water heater back. She said her attorney had warned her that Sears would probably do that because they have such a reputation for being hard-nosed.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post
... I got to meet both Block and Hiaasen (differnet days), and heard them read a chapter. I'd admired Block since I was a young writer in my 20s, so it was really cool to have him sign my very old copy of Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print.

WOW! Both Lawrence Block and Carl Hiaasen! Lucky you! And I didnt know you were a writer!! How wonderful! Tell us more about it!

I always said that I'd write something when I retired. I even have the storyline in mind.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I've read that Sears is very tough for negotiating. My problem was that I took my car to them for a "free" checkup and was told that I needed a front brake job and the rear rotors turned. I ended up paying a lot as a result of that "free" checkup.

Then, about three weeks later, I told someone about it and he told me that the Sears techs were supposed to sell brake jobs that month and, if I took my car to any Sears that month, they'd tell me the same thing.

I didnt believe him and did take my car to another Sears for the "free" checkup. Would you believe they told me that I needed a front brake job and the rear rotors turned?

I was livid and announced, in front of all the customers there, that I had just had that same work done at another Sears. Big Mistake! They got mad at me and took SIX HOURS to put my tires back on and give the car back to me. I had to sit there the whole day.

But now I tell everyone about how crooked Sears auto repair shops are -- and I've been boycotting everything about Sears ever since.

Edited to add that a co-worker told me that she had filed bankruptcy about 10 years ago. One of the creditors was Sears...for a water heater that she had bought 2-3 years prior to filing. Apparently she was making minimal payments on it and it wasnt paid off completely by the time she filed. No creditors showed up at the hearing -- except Sears. Someone from Sears actually showed up and insisted on getting the water heater back. She said her attorney had warned her that Sears would probably do that because they have such a reputation for being hard-nosed.
I really believe and have found it to be true that a good mechanic and a good hair stylist are hard to find and when you do they move away.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really believe and have found it to be true that a good mechanic and a good hair stylist are hard to find and when you do they move away.
I used to go to whoever I met at the local pub. Round 5 is always a bonding time.

However yesterday, I happened to be going into Walmart and one of the ladies were standing outside of the opening of the salon and asked me if I wanted a hair cut. I was in the mood and had the money, so I let her cut layers all into my hair. She did a FABULOUS job! I was so excited that I tipped her more money than the hair cut cost.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Happy Sunday!

I took a day off of posting yesterday. I watched 13 episodes of a series on Netflix called 'The Grand'. I always overlooked it because I thought it was about a grandmother.....but turns out it was about this great hotel in Manchester, England in the early 1900's. (fictional). I just TOTALLY enjoyed it all day long until I went to Walmart yesterday evening. Then I watched more episodes until I went to sleep. I did get some cleaning and ironing done in between.

The our sweet Bob gave me the gift certificate for $25 that he won on one of the IWG games. He doesn't have one of these particular wing restaurants near where he lives, but I have one 4 miles down the road. I'm really looking forward to going there this evening. The kids are coming, but said they would pay for their own. We've never eaten there before.....but it is quite popular.

I can go and show off my new hair.

TFW, did you ever send Sears a letter or email about this? I thought Sears had a satisfaction guarantee policy? Gosh, it's sad they did that to you.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I used to go to whoever I met at the local pub. Round 5 is always a bonding time.

However yesterday, I happened to be going into Walmart and one of the ladies were standing outside of the opening of the salon and asked me if I wanted a hair cut. I was in the mood and had the money, so I let her cut layers all into my hair. She did a FABULOUS job! I was so excited that I tipped her more money than the hair cut cost.
Don't you just love it when that happens? It's really hard to find someone who can do a good job with layers.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Happy Sunday!

I took a day off of posting yesterday. I watched 13 episodes of a series on Netflix called 'The Grand'. I always overlooked it because I thought it was about a grandmother.....but turns out it was about this great hotel in Manchester, England in the early 1900's. (fictional). I just TOTALLY enjoyed it all day long until I went to Walmart yesterday evening. Then I watched more episodes until I went to sleep. I did get some cleaning and ironing done in between.
I do that on a regular basis. The last time was about a month ago. I watched both seasons of Jericho. I had never watched it when it was on the telly. I was totally blown away. I watched it for two days.

I love to get lost in a tv show or a book. It's total decompression for me. I think it is healthy. I know doing it totally clears my mind for a while. And, believe me, I really need that from time to time.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I was in the mood and had the money, so I let her cut layers all into my hair. She did a FABULOUS job! I was so excited that I tipped her more money than the hair cut cost.

We want photos!!

I tip my hairdresser VERY WELL...always more than the cut costs. It's so hard to find someone who can do a good job on fine, thin hair. I used to go to high-end salons but learned they arent much better than the low-end salons for my kind of hair and haircut -- so I found a great hair stylist at a closeby TGF.

Unfortunately, with short, short hair you have to get haircuts every 3 weeks -- at least, I do, or my hair starts looking raggedy. Of course, one of the benefits of being retired is that I can look raggedy for a while and Who Cares?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I love to get lost in a tv show or a book. It's total decompression for me. I think it is healthy. I know doing it totally clears my mind for a while. And, believe me, I really need that from time to time.

Another benefit of being retired is that I can decompress any time I want/need. I still get twinges of guilt over not doing anything "constructive" for days at a time -- but I'm working on getting past that.

P.S. I feel bad bragging about being retired when some of you are still working -- especially Glory, who's working at a crummy place. But I put in 45 years of work (at a few crummy places myself) and really earned my retirement. The money isnt so great but I wouldnt give up my retirement freedom for any job, no matter how much money it paid.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-25-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
I've been reading the Hunger Games for about a week. Ong, I don't see how people can just sit and read all day. I have to keep gettin up and moving around or my mind wanders. Got about 10 pages to go then on to book 2 and 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff