Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times

Advertisements

Yes that is what I was thinking...I HAD such Spring fever earlier this week. This storm squished it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,804,686 times
Hang in there.
They are saying 50 next week

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
OMG!! You guys stay safe!!!! I cant even imagine. Crazy, as good as your offer sounds, I'm going to pass on shoveling your snow. Just light a camp fire and it will all melt.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
Camper I am not complaining because this storm we have power so it's all good. It's all about the little things.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Hey, all! I have just a second because the Comcast repairman is going to cut off my internet for a while -- so I'll come back later to comment.

But I wanted to say OMG, Wurzig, I didnt know your dog is a Shiloh Shepherd! Could you have selected a dog with more fur? I doubt it:

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM

What a horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, not-so-good two days.

I had an electrician come out yesterday to give me an estimate on repairing the microwave wiring. Eveyr do often it trips the circuit breaker. I think it's on a circuit with another large appliance -- either the fridge or the oven.

$4,000 !!!!!!!

Most off that $$$ is because I have aluminum wiring and he cant tie into it -- so he has to do a lot of extra work.

I have to have that work done. Every time the breaker trips, I worry about a fire. So he'll be out here all day tomorrow (Sunday) doing that work. He said it will take at least eight hours.

I had a lot of electrical work done in 2007 (by another company). I thought they had pig-tailed all my outlets/switches, to make the aluminum wiring safer. The electrician yesterday (whom I've been using for the past few years and whom I trust) told me none of the outlets are pig-tailed -- in 2007 they did something else, which doesnt make the aluminum wiring any safer at all. To pig-tail them all now will cost another $5,000.

I told him I'd have to wait on that for a while.

And, before the electrician came out yesterday, there was a power outage in my area. When power was restored, it fried the Comcast cable box in the living room. Comcast came out this morning for what I thought would be a simple replacement. Not. It turns out that the guy had to replace all the cable wiring outside and all the cable wiring inside, as well. It took five hours but at least it didnt cost me anything.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Hello all! Ready to change the clocks again? Seems like I just did it a few months ago......my how time flies!
Moving the clocks ahead is happening earlier and earlier. And moving the clocks back is happening later and later. It used to be that we turned the clocks ahead in April and turned them back in October. Soon we'll have Daylight Savings Time all year round.

Quote:
We finally received the price of the excavator's part of the leach field system last night.....over $12k. SOOOOO, total, it is going to be @ $15k. This is NOT an expense we thought we'd have when we moved here........
Ouch. Dont you hate it when you have to spend $$$ (especially a lot of $$$) on stuff that doesnt even show??????

Quote:
I had never heard of low lights but that makes sense and I'll bet it's pretty!
I'd never heard that term either. I thought they were called "reverse high-lights". But they are so pretty. They're very subtle and cover almost all my gray. My hair now looks like it did when I was in my 20's-30's. Too bed I cant get something that easy done to make the rest of me look that much younger.

Quote:
I have a Roomba....one of the originals, not one that washes a floor. I named her Rosie, as in the Jetson's. With this dog, I haven't even used it on the main floor....some of his hair is 6-inches long.
I have so many Roombas. I need to join a support group for those trying to kick the Roomba-buying habit. I like the Scoobas (floor-washing Roomba) but they dont begin to compare to the Roombas in effectiveness. So I gave my Scoobas away and got the Hoover Floor-Mate, which is awesome.

I dont know how you keep up with Winston's hair. My daughter had a Golden Retriever when she was young and that dog shed so much. She was a sweetheart but it didnt break my heart when she moved out with my daughter. I couldnt stand all those hairballs on my floors. Dobermans shed, but they're closet-shedders. You never see the hair -- unless you're dumb enough to have whitish-greyish porcelain tiles installed in every room of your house. I keep saying my next dog will be an albino.

Quote:
I am still annoyed with Win 8. There is too much on it that is not needed. And at this time, I hate clicking on a pic sent in an email because it's hard to get back to where you were before you clicked it. It takes too many steps.
Win 7 -- and now Win 8 -- is why I'm so against getting a new computer. Why dont they offer new computers (new hardware) with Windows XP for those who like it so much? Too, I have the font sizes/colors, the internet page colors, etc all set up exactly the way I like them. I did it all by trial-and-error over a period of years and didnt make notes -- so setting up a new computer that way would take forever.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,804,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
What a horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, not-so-good two days.

I had an electrician come out yesterday to give me an estimate on repairing the microwave wiring. Eveyr do often it trips the circuit breaker. I think it's on a circuit with another large appliance -- either the fridge or the oven.

$4,000 !!!!!!!

Most off that $$$ is because I have aluminum wiring and he cant tie into it -- so he has to do a lot of extra work.

I have to have that work done. Every time the breaker trips, I worry about a fire. So he'll be out here all day tomorrow (Sunday) doing that work. He said it will take at least eight hours.

I had a lot of electrical work done in 2007 (by another company). I thought they had pig-tailed all my outlets/switches, to make the aluminum wiring safer. The electrician yesterday (whom I've been using for the past few years and whom I trust) told me none of the outlets are pig-tailed -- in 2007 they did something else, which doesnt make the aluminum wiring any safer at all. To pig-tail them all now will cost another $5,000.

I told him I'd have to wait on that for a while.

And, before the electrician came out yesterday, there was a power outage in my area. When power was restored, it fried the Comcast cable box in the living room. Comcast came out this morning for what I thought would be a simple replacement. Not. It turns out that the guy had to replace all the cable wiring outside and all the cable wiring inside, as well. It took five hours but at least it didnt cost me anything.
They will have to repace all the aluminum wiring to copper.
I would get a couple of estimates at least and see what they say it will cost.

$4000 is a big job and shop around before you do anything!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM

And for those of you who are still suffering with winter, I'm so sorry. I thought the groundhog didnt see his shadow this year -- so Spring was supposed to come early.

Houston didnt have a winter this year. While that was nice (for old-timers like me, who are getting less cold-tolerant in their advancing age), it means a terrible summer for ants, fleas, insects and hot, hot weather.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
They will have to repace all the aluminum wiring to copper.
I would get a couple of estimates at least and see what they say it will cost.
$4000 is a big job and shop around before you do anything!

They're not even going to do that. I got an estimate on replacing all the aluminum with copper and it's at least $12,000. That doesnt include all the damage to the walls/ceilings.

They have to do all new wiring for the microwave circuit because they cant tie into the aluminum. And, whenever they've added additional outlets over the past few years, they've had to add new wiring for that too -- which has made those simple jobs very time-consuming and expensive.

I used to shop prices for electrical work. That's how I got ripped off by that company in 2007 -- thinking they were pig-tailing all the switches/outlets when all they did was install new switch/outlet hardware -- which didnt do anything to increase safety. And I cant go back and sue them now because too much time has passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff