Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,760 times

Advertisements

It's something we've talked about, perhaps going there for Thanksgiving. But my goodness, it's so expensive, and you're in the air forever... hard on the sciatic nerve and my back.
But I've been trying to get Hubby to quit smoking, so I said, every time you resist buying a pack, you can put the money in this jar.... It's marked, "Japan Fund."

And since I'll be spending less on groceries, every time I go to the store, I'm going to put the am't I would've spent in the jar. So we're gonna try.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Yeah, it is expensive. My sister has always been afraid of flying. When she is on a long flight she takes a sleeping pill.

I was actually surprised at how fast the time went when I flew across the pond. Coming back seemed to take a lot longer. It's really better to sleep if you can or you will end up with jet lag and spend the first day there sleeping.

It's such a wonderful opportunity for y'all. I hope you are able to do it.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,760 times
I agree, just to sleep when you can when traveling thru time zones.

Wwell, it's 2 a.m. here, which makes it 2 p.m. tomorrow in the Philippines. Daughter's plane just left there to head for Japan. She'll arrive in Japan around 7:30 p.m. local time, a five hour journey... 5 hours of me worrying, of course. I will try to sleep in a little while, though. * sigh *

Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Starr, what a wonderful opportunity for your daughter. I hope you and your hubby can visit her over there.

I'm one of the 1/3 of Windows users who still have Windows XP, for which Microsoft support (updates for security holes, etc) will end on April 8. I've kept XP because I like the way it works. (I even bought a new, expensive computer last year and hated Windows 8 -- so I gave it to my handyman in exchange for some updates to my house.) I've spent the last couple of days reading how to protect my computer after the Windows XP Apocalypse. I installed a new browser -- went from Firefox to Chrome -- and installed other programs. What a mess it all turned out to be. This morning I set my computer back to the way it was 3 days ago and got rid of all the new stuff. So, if April 8 comes and I'm not here any longer, you know why.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,811,050 times
I am using XP and Firefox also TFW.

Here is some good info:
Preparing Windows XP for the long haul | Series | Windows Secrets

Here is a free Microsoft download to check compatibility of Windows 7 with your computer:
Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post
It's something we've talked about, perhaps going there for Thanksgiving. But my goodness, it's so expensive, and you're in the air forever... hard on the sciatic nerve and my back.
But I've been trying to get Hubby to quit smoking, so I said, every time you resist buying a pack, you can put the money in this jar.... It's marked, "Japan Fund."

And since I'll be spending less on groceries, every time I go to the store, I'm going to put the am't I would've spent in the jar. So we're gonna try.
That's how I get my " camping " money!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Starr, what a wonderful opportunity for your daughter. I hope you and your hubby can visit her over there.

I'm one of the 1/3 of Windows users who still have Windows XP, for which Microsoft support (updates for security holes, etc) will end on April 8. I've kept XP because I like the way it works. (I even bought a new, expensive computer last year and hated Windows 8 -- so I gave it to my handyman in exchange for some updates to my house.) I've spent the last couple of days reading how to protect my computer after the Windows XP Apocalypse. I installed a new browser -- went from Firefox to Chrome -- and installed other programs. What a mess it all turned out to be. This morning I set my computer back to the way it was 3 days ago and got rid of all the new stuff. So, if April 8 comes and I'm not here any longer, you know why.
We've been using Chrome for sometime now and for the most part am please with it but every now and then come across something that's not compatible.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
We've been using Chrome for sometime now and for the most part am please with it but every now and then come across something that's not compatible.

I liked Chrome -- and Firefox, with all its updates, is trying to be like Chrome. But Chrome has too big a footprint for me and it also dumped a lot of additional programs on my computer. It also changed my search engine -- even though I changed the default back to google, it kept changing it to AVG every time I turned it on. I tried to delete Chrome but couldnt so I just turned the computer back in time to 3 days ago.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
I am using XP and Firefox also TFW.

Here is some good info:
Preparing Windows XP for the long haul | Series | Windows Secrets

Here is a free Microsoft download to check compatibility of Windows 7 with your computer:
Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center

Thanks so much, Bob. Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7? I tested it on my daughter's laptop and it didnt seem as user-friendly as XP. I'd be willing to pay Microsoft to give me the security updates for XP. Microsoft is going to continue furnishing support for government and school computers that are still running XP, so why cant it do so for regular people who'd be willing to pay for it?

It's good to know someone else who's still using XP and Firefox.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,811,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks so much, Bob. Are you going to upgrade to Windows 7? I tested it on my daughter's laptop and it didnt seem as user-friendly as XP. I'd be willing to pay Microsoft to give me the security updates. Microsoft is going to continue furnishing support for government and school computers that are still running XP, so why cant it do so for regular people who'd be willing to pay for it?

It's good to know someone else who's still using XP and Firefox.
Unfortunateley my processor can't handle windows 7.
Not sure why they are still supporting the government and school computers after the april cutoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff