Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 07:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

from 83-87. I had a good friend who lived in the Garfield Park section of New Castle. In between US 13 and the bridge tollbooth

he used to tell me it was a bad area with lots of thugs; tho he lived there he didn't mind describing his neighborhood that way, he used to tell me a lot of stories

is that area that way today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM

53 posts, read 140,677 times
He wasn't exaggerating. Did you ever drive thru?

I used to take my son to the Catholic school near there for basketball games (the school has since closed) and also to a PAL center located in the back. It wasn't so bad that I ever felt unsafe driving through there at night.... it may just be that the homes where cheaply built & small with no basements, and it became run down & depressed-looking (very little landscaping, which I think makes a neighborhood look poor). It's a popular area for real estate investors to purchase cheap homes & rent to Section 8 tenants.

It doesn't help that that section of Rt 13 is riddled with prostitution & drugs. I wouldn't live there!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,569 times
Garfield Park is a neighborhood for the first time homebuyers who are single or just getting to be a couple with minimal qualifying income or people who cannot rent anywhere else due to their credit situation.

Many of them probably are not aware of this forum ... so bringing up subjects that don't apply to people on this forum is a total waste of this opportunity.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

53 posts, read 140,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
Many of them probably are not aware of this forum ... so bringing up subjects that don't apply to people on this forum is a total waste of this opportunity.

Huh? I don't understand this statement.... could you rephrase?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Default i never drove thru

Garfield except on 295 which parallels it. That was in the early-mid 80's. My friend worked at a Bowlerama and told me stories of some wild girls in there. he was a great friend which is why i remember so much. I remember the Ho Jo's at the route 9 exit which eventually became a Bob's Big Boy, not sure what is there now. I'm from NY but I always liked Delaware, always found people friendly and helpful in Del, more so than in states further south

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM

53 posts, read 322,074 times
The Bowlerama is still there. They actually refurbished the entire complex a few years ago. While they did a great job to rehab the building, it's still like polishing a turd (if you know what I mean.) Against my wishes, the wife took the kids there for a birthday party about four years ago. She came back with stories too. lol

To answer your initial question, Garfield Park has not changed. There are still plenty of thugs that ruin it for the many good folks that live there. I remember seeing a book at Barnes and Noble in the local interest section. The book was about the history of Garfield Park (or could have been Dunlieth, both are interconnected). While I didn't thoroughly read the book, I did peruse through it. It's about the history of the neighborhood and how it's one of New Castle County's first black housing developments. I could be wrong but I don't think the book tells as many colorful stories as your friend did.

Quote:
Garfield Park is a neighborhood for the first time homebuyers who are single or just getting to be a couple with minimal qualifying income or people who cannot rent anywhere else due to their credit situation.

I have to respectfully disagree with armx. I recall reading several posts from those looking for housing and describing themselves as having less than stellar income or credit. Just because someone may not be wealthy does not mean they are unaware of this forum. While armx is maybe correct, I'm sure there are just as many affluent people that are unaware of this forum as well. The anonymity of the internet makes it virtually impossible to know who really is reading what forum.

As I read the original post, the OP did not ask about housing; rather, the OP asked about the character of the neighborhood as the OP remembered it from his/her friend. This is the perfect opportunity and forum to ask that type of question; if not to answer the question for others, but to at least satisfy the curiosity of the OP. The only wasted opportunity is not asking a question to those who maybe able to answer it. Besides, where else are you going to go to get unqualified expert opinions .

Best Regards

Baconator
U of D BA '92

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Default baconator-

i'm not sure what the other posters are referring to, race or anything else, but i think my friend, who was Scotch/English I believe, was referring to "white trash" who he believed was ruling his nabe at the time, i don't think he ever referred to minorities. i do recall him telling me about a woman who was really loose who always was looking to pick up guys in the bowling alley and i vaguely remember him talking something about prostitution in the area

that guy was one of the best friends i ever had i have to do a search to find out where he is now i last saw him in 1988

i was always impressed with the friendliness and hospitality of people in Del

i was passing through on my way to NY back from my brother's wedding and i stopped for a bite at the Christiana mall. i was on line at Arby's and a younger guy started chatting with me, really friendly, no pretensions

a few years later i was en route to NY from a thanksgiving vacation with the folks in Ga and i stopped at JC Penney at the mall and a mother and daughter started asking me about how the vests fit because they were considering getting their dad a vest as a gift. you never see that here in NY

i always found people to be really friendly at the Univ and even on my travels thru Del people continue to be so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware