Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelived View Post
My hubby and I have lived in DE for the past five years. We're originally from Philadelphia and we can't wait to leave this place (moving to Colorado this coming March).

Yes, it cheaper here and you get what you pay for too. Unless your idea of a good time is spending more time driving to get a place of interest than actually being there, then DE won't bother you.

As for the the safety, schools and quality of life of DE - DO your homework.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Sorry to flame you, but you are criticizing Delaware for it being far from your "places of interest." Unfortunately for Delaware, you moved to it. It did not move to you.

If you have anybody to criticize, lovelived, you have yourself and/or your husband to criticize for moving without figuring this stuff out. It seems you want something (proximity,) that you obviously cannot afford -- otherwise you would have been in Cherry Hill, 10 minutes from Philadelphia.

Again, I'm sorry to address this issue, but, if you want proximity to attraction you must pay a premium in the form of real estate and taxes (in regards to Phila.) You decided to give that up for sake of economy, then post on an internet forum that it's too far for you when ultimately YOU moved THERE.

Am I making too much sense?

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2010 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I live in the Carrcroft/Shellburne area since, my house in Middletown fell through in August. I spent 15 years in Claymont and this area, even though its only a few miles away from Claymont is a nice change. Yes N.Wilmington has alot of snobby people but crime is much lower here. Really not trying to offend some of the older members but this area is full of older people. Alot of former N.Wilmington residents our age late 30's ended up in Middletown DE or right across the line in PA for the schools. The Brandywine School district isn't that great,if it was Northern Delaware wouldn't be full of private schools.

Top to bottom I really like Delaware and if we didn't have school aged children I would never consider leaving. Hopefully THIS summer I cant find my way to Middletown.

BTW as an east coast state,gangs are a part of life. I wouldn't be suprised if one in particular controlled this state.
james, we also moved from claymont to Middletown. what a change, especially when it comes to schools ! good luck with your plans !

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
james, we also moved from claymont to Middletown. what a change, especially when it comes to schools ! good luck with your plans !
Thanks bavaria, I'm hoping it works out. I went to the school choice camp(I know people were sleeping out) on Wednesday at 4:00am and I was waaaaaaaaayyyy to late. There were about 100 to 125 parents ahead of me. If not Florida then its Middletown.

Last edited by James420; 11-05-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: d

Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I find so many posts on threads like this one simply depressing. From my perspective there isn't any perfect place to live and choosing between one place and another involves a series of compromises and trade-offs. I've made one or two unequivocal mistakes in terms of moving particular places, though both of those - and there was only one that was really without redeeming features - were approximately 30 years ago when I was in my 20's, so I might be forgiven for miscalculating. Further, one learns from all experiences (or should do), including bad relocation choices. If you made the choice, however, there's no point in kvetching about the place you yourself chose to move. Yet some of the Delaware bashers on this thread are so unequivocal, so black and white, so blaming of Delaware rather than taking responsibility for their own choices.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Actually, I think there were only two posters that were unhappy with their move, maybe I'm wrong. I'm also in the camp that believes that it's possible to find something good about wherever you live and if you are really unhappy just move again and consider yourself lucky to have experienced a different place. My husband and I were in our early twenties when we moved from Delaware and looking back I think it was just the itch to experience something new, not that our hometowns (Milford and Newark) were bad, they were just old news. Milford was a great place to grow up and I'm grateful that my parents made the move from NJ when they married to raise us in Delaware.

You know, I don't think the OP has been back to hear all of these marvelous answers!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM

To clarify, what I meant is that threads of this kind so frequently elicit the sort of bitter indictments of a place that cropped up from a couple of posters on this thread. Yes, it will usually be a minority viewpoint but it is usually vociferously expressed without any hint of balance. Rather, the place in question is just described as unequivocally horrible, full stop.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 AM

66 posts, read 141,164 times
(I hope this isn't threadjacking, if so, I apologize) Wow. I gotta say I came here to look into how friendly/decent it would be in Delaware and when I saw this thread, I figured I'd check it out. Usually, in all the other places I've searched so far when a thread like this pops up, the general response is, "We got enough problems, find somewhere else to live!" "Use the search button, retard!" "You think we don't have problems finding jobs, too??" Which is one of the reasons I never post my own question, but search for threads instead. So, I was pretty surprised to see that all the replies here were actually helpful and not jumping down someone's throat for daring to ask about moving to your state. I guess that definitely answered my question about friendliness.

I've never really wanted to live in NYC or Philly, but it would be nice to be kinda close and Delaware seems like a good option. My father was in the military for 20 years, but we never got to live on the East Coast. And, frankly, I feel like I'm dying a slow, cold, dark death in Alaska right now. Maybe its the winter blues. I dunno.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 AM

My partner and I have never lived anywhere else where, when you sit at the bar in a tavern or restaurant, people routinely strike up conversations with you. This includes supposedly oh-so-friendly Texas as well as England with its pub culture. We have met and got to know so many people around here just by sitting at the bar in our local taverns/restaurants. I really do find many people in DE to be very friendly.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 AM

297 posts, read 743,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
My partner and I have never lived anywhere else where, when you sit at the bar in a tavern or restaurant, people routinely strike up conversations with you. This includes supposedly oh-so-friendly Texas as well as England with its pub culture. We have met and got to know so many people around here just by sitting at the bar in our local taverns/restaurants. I really do find many people in DE to be very friendly.
I agree with this. There are rude people here, just like anywhere, but for the most part people have been incredibly friendly. Even the folks I talked to while setting up utilities for our move were helpful, courteous, and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware