Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which County in Delaware do you live in (or will be living in)?
New Castle County - Northern New Castle Co. 18 36.00%
New Castle County - Below the C&D Canal 7 14.00%
Kent County 11 22.00%
Sussex County 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times

Advertisements

Note: I've divided New Castle Co. into Northern and Below the Ditch. If you currently live in DE or are in the process of moving here and know definitely which county you'll be living in, please respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM

I just thought it would be interesting to see what the demographics of this forum's regulars are. It seems to me that most participants are from below the ditch on down; not many from northern New Castle County. Most of those planning to move here soon for retirement seem to be looking at Sussex. I'd just like to see the results of an objective survey.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I just thought it would be interesting to see what the demographics of this forum's regulars are. It seems to me that most participants are from below the ditch on down; not many from northern New Castle County. Most of those planning to move here soon for retirement seem to be looking at Sussex. I'd just like to see the results of an objective survey.
I would have to disagree with your assessment and suggest that those looking to retire in Delaware are pretty evenly divided between at both Sussex and Kent counties. It would appear, particularly in the 55+ Communities thread, that those migrating to Delaware are discussing communities in Kent County with more frequency than the other two counties.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Well, yes, I'm surprised to see that the results so clearly favour Kent County. I don't read the 55+ thread normally and didn't realise how many of these retirement areas are evidently in Kent. At the moment on the poll, the totals for NCCo and Kent are a tie, with only two Sussex residents/aspirants polling so far.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Well, yes, I'm surprised to see that the results so clearly favour Kent County. I don't read the 55+ thread normally and didn't realise how many of these retirement areas are evidently in Kent. At the moment on the poll, the totals for NCCo and Kent are a tie, with only two Sussex residents/aspirants polling so far.
This poll is flawed.

I didn't realize the question was for: Retirees
I didn't realize the question was for: Those Searching For 55+ Comm.
I'm neither of those.

This was what I read: If you currently live in DE OR are in the process of moving here and know definitely which county you'll be living in, please respond.

So, please take me out of the mix for Kent County (minus one) if you're attempting to determine who's moving where. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM

To reiterate, the poll/survey was to determine what percentage of the DE forum folks are either living in, or are in process of moving to, a definite location in one of the three counties, with New Castle however being further divided into above and below the canal. Nothing to do with retirement per se. Those were just observations about the 55+ thread and communities in Kent. The thread isn't at all restricted to retirees. I was trying to get an idea of the breakdown of forum regulars in terms of county of residence, but since there are several regulars who are set on moving to DE but haven't actually made the move, I wanted to expand the survey to cover them too, as long as they knew to which county they would be moving.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
I live in NY. I plan on moving next summer. Unfortunately, I don't know what canal you are referring to!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I live in NY. I plan on moving next summer. Unfortunately, I don't know what canal you are referring to!
Looks like you and I are on the same track. We're planning to leave NY next July.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
The Chesapeake and Delaware (C&D) canal, as its name suggests, connects the Delaware Bay with the Chesapeake Bay and runs through lower New Castle County (the northernmost county) over to Maryland's eastern shore and the Chesapeake. It divides the more highly urbanised Northern New Castle County from the historically more agricultural southern bit of the county and indeed from the agricultural downstate region - "lower, slower Delaware" - as a whole. The canal is sometimes referred to as "the ditch" and lower Delaware as "below the ditch".

Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
I've lived at the Delaware beaches since 1985, but north Wilmington/Brandywine Hundred is (and always will be claimed as) my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware