Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

It's important to distinguish between the City of Wilmington and the outlying unincorporated areas commonly called "Wilmington". Greenville, Centreville, Hockessin, Montchanin, etc aren't Wilmington; they outlie the City of Wilmington. However, you won't be able to find anything directly on any water out there for 400K or less, and indeed there aren't any bodies of water apart from Hoope's Reservoir, the Brandywine River, and a few very small ponds in those parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It's important to distinguish between the City of Wilmington and the outlying unincorporated areas commonly called "Wilmington". Greenville, Centreville, Hockessin, Montchanin, etc aren't Wilmington; they outlie the City of Wilmington. However, you won't be able to find anything directly on any water out there for 400K or less, and indeed there aren't any bodies of water apart from Hoope's Reservoir, the Brandywine River, and a few very small ponds in those parts.
You are correct, I was just throwing out some bodies of water around Wilmington trying to keep the 2 hour range. I wonder about Yorklyn, when I grew up in Kennett my mom would drive through their going to the Christiana mall, its propbably been 8-10 years since I've been up that way. Is that route 7? The Red Clay creek runs through their.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
I checked into Christiana and ended up finding a site with homes in North East De. There was at least one decent home in my price range right on the water near the North East yacht club. Is that a decent area? stores, drs, low crime etc.
According to google directions that area is about 3hrs away from me now. I can't find anything around 2hrs or less either so far but I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming please. I check into all the areas you mention.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM

North East is Maryland, not Delaware!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I checked into Christiana and ended up finding a site with homes in North East De. There was at least one decent home in my price range right on the water near the North East yacht club. Is that a decent area? stores, drs, low crime etc.
According to google directions that area is about 3hrs away from me now. I can't find anything around 2hrs or less either so far but I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming please. I check into all the areas you mention.
Is that North East, MD? There is a town in MD named North East and it does have water all around it.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM

North East, MD is on a little sliver of the Chesapeake Bay. The town is very old, with an Episcopal church there that dates to colonial times. The town is known for several seafood places. It's small and outside of the main street is kind of junky looking, at least in parts. It could be worth looking into, however, if you aren't absolutely set on Delaware. Maryland cost of living will be higher (tax burden).

Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
oops..

yes, you're right. It's in Maryland. I want De.. so I'll keep looking.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,758 times
My wifes from the North East/Elkton area originally. I love that area. Much of Delaware's northern shore is wetland type habitat. There aren't many options for being "close" to the waterfront. A few possible locations some mentioned already that I also like: "Old" New Castle, Delaware city, Port Penn, and another further south most don't think of, Woodland Beach.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
The closest connection between New York and Delaware would be between Staten Island and Claymont. That distance is about 110 miles and includes two bridges. Unless you are ready to exceed the speed limit, two hours is not a reasonable travel target between these two states.
New Castle to Staten Island is 107 Miles - most people don't drive the speed limit on the turnpike unless it's raining.

65MPH - (1 hr 40 mins.)
70MPH - (1 hr 30 mins.)
75MPH - (1 hr 20 mins.)

Most people grossly overestimate how long it takes to get to NY from Delaware (I've had people tell me it's 3 hours away (on a boat?))

Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
New Castle to Staten Island is 107 Miles - most people don't drive the speed limit on the turnpike unless it's raining.

65MPH - (1 hr 40 mins.)
70MPH - (1 hr 30 mins.)
75MPH - (1 hr 20 mins.)

Most people grossly overestimate how long it takes to get to NY from Delaware (I've had people tell me it's 3 hours away (on a boat?))
I chose Staten Island for illustrative purposes as it's the closest point to Delaware from New York. I have no idea from where Lauriedeee would be driving.

I always drive the speed limit. Commentary on my driving skills are not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware