Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,676 times

Advertisements

Be carefull out there my friends, if you dont understand these streets stay out of them...

Here is a special look at the city of Wilmington (Google Maps Street View)

Riverside

bowers street wilmington - Google Maps

http://g.co/maps/8phmh

Northside

http://g.co/maps/pmf37

Westside

http://g.co/maps/jqcyu

Eastside

http://g.co/maps/vt8xs

Last edited by Legendof302; 11-05-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
^^^ Wilmington is not unique. Every city in the country has its good and bad streets. It's therefore always wise to know where to go and where not to.

It's also easy to pick and choose images to tell the story one wants. Here are some of the better parts of the city:

1350 Delaware Avenue, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

1350 Delaware Avenue, Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Wilmington, DE - Google Maps

Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 PM

I could post pictures of Rockford Park...

And other nice parts near Tower Hill school but that would make me arrogant and insensitive to the people suffering from Wilmington poverty.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:47 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
First, get rid of the stupid close the bars at 1 AM law. People don't start going out until 11 anyway. Close at 3 am or later.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
As a former born and bred Wilmington resident, I have been going thru this thread with curiosity. I grew up near the Italian Fest(8th and Scott) and can't believe even that part of town is infected with filth. I live in the Poconos now but I still have family in Wilmington, New Castle, Milddletown, etc. Jeff, I will reiterate that family told me to stay out of Wilmington unless I absolutely have business there. Just my 2 cents.
I went to the Italian Fest multiple nights this year, they put up a fence around the entire perimeter and charged a $5 cover.

I guess 5 dollars is what it takes to keep all the poverty surrounding the Fest out. It was crime free to my knowledge and I had fun.

The Greek Fest had alot of great food aswell...

Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
The most we could expect from downtown is maybe a Newark-type Main street... that is even pushing it.

Wilmington's redeeming qualities are the diverse west side and the riverfront, not downtown. The best thing they could ever do for downtown would be to relocate a portion of UD downtown where the students could be the critical mass needed for an around-the-clock downtown economy.
Interesting Idea...

Imagine that...

idk

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM

SouthBridge

south bridge wilmington - Google Maps

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
^^^ Not sure I get the point of posting pix of Wilmington's poorer neighborhoods. Perhaps you could enlighten me as it makes me wonder if you've lived or traveled elsewhere. I've lived in 7 states. In each place I lived, there are poor and rich areas. In many places, both the opulence on one end and the poverty on the other make such images from Wilmington pretty unremarkable.

So tell me - what other cities have you lived in?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Perhaps you could enlighten me as it makes me wonder if you've lived or traveled elsewhere. I've lived in 7 states. In each place I lived, there are poor and rich areas. In many places, both the opulence on one end and the poverty on the other make such images from Wilmington pretty unremarkable.

So tell me - what other cities have you lived in?
Other then Delaware the only State I have lived in is Florida...

I lived in both Miami & Boynton/Palm Beach area extensively...

I have traveled both the entire West Coast (Wasington-San Fransico)...

And the East Coast (Maine-Key West) extensively...

I have been to Europe & all over Jamaica and also Mexico...

My Dad lives in Ocean Pines MD, and my Mom lives in Hockessin DE...

My Aunt taught at Brown University so I was in Providence RI alot as a kid...

Now she is at Duke & My Uncle is at NC State so I have stayed in Chapel Hill many times also.

I could go on for awhile about my travels, but since this is the Delaware forum thats off topic and not appropriate for this thread.

If you want to talk about other States go to those forums...

This is the Delaware forum so lets just focus on real Delaware issues...

Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
In each place I lived, there are poor and rich areas. In many places, both the opulence on one end and the poverty on the other make such images from Wilmington pretty unremarkable.
I respect your perception but since this thread is about Wilmington I feel none of that pertains to this topic...

"unremarkable" Really? How will that make Wilmington better?

idk

Last edited by Legendof302; 11-12-2011 at 03:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware