Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,552 times

Advertisements

Hello I a possibly relocating to New Castle next summer. I an curious about the schools, in particular the middle and high school, we would be moving to the Rutledge subdivision, near or on Sugarberry Drive. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My daughter will be in 8th grade, and is currently involved in chorus. How are the schools? Does anyone know anything about that subdivision and area.
Also would be looking for a interdenominational or non denominational church that is more concerned with being followers of Jesus Christ than church goers who are active in their community.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 PM

127 posts, read 489,977 times
AKIRKLAND04, Being familiar with the builder of that subdivision, I'd say get a really good home inspector before making this purchase. Also, I'm sure you're aware that Sugarberry is close to Route 1, if your house will back up to it, I'd visit during rush hour to check the noise from the highway (I think there is a wall there --?-- but can't remember). I'm certainly not trying to deter you... it's just that the real estate market is currently drowning in homes in this price range... you should have a decent selection!

As far as choosing a church, there are dozens. Your best bet is to start picking up (or requesting they mail you) the News Journal, the Saturday edition. Each Saturday in the Life section there are several pages devoted to area churches, which includes listing of services/masses/etc for many denominations. Their online paper (which isn't as complete but will have subscription info) is delawareonline.com

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
AKIRKLAND04, Have you definitely decided on Rutledge? Since I am sure that you have visited the development, you know how large it is. Probably your daughter would attend Gunning Bedford for 8th grade, but the Colonial District has changed some of their middle schools. 9th grade is William Penn. As long as she is involved in a positive activity like chorus, she should be fine. She must keep her grades up to participate, but it will keep her out of any trouble. William Penn is the largest high school in Delaware with 2,500 students. It will be imperative that she keep busy in a positive way.

There are many "home grown" churches in the area, and one not too far from Rutledge called Love of Christ. I get flyers from them often.

Get your home inspection and be proactive in it. You are not just sitting on Route 1, but there is also a storage facility next to the development.

If you have not definitely decided on Rutledge, why not give us your specifics and we can guide you to other places.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Relocation advice

Thanks for the advice. Actually the gentleman in my life has the house in rutledge subdivision, will actually see it this weekend. The house is in the cul de sac on Sugarberry. Is is it a good neighborhood other than boarding Rt. 1 and the storage facility. What would you say average income is, professional middle class ? Just trying to get a feel for the neighborhood, town. I have read alot of negative posts about the area. My daughter is an excellent student and involved in much. I want to be sure I am moving to a good area. I have also heard alot about the high cost of utilities, is this true?
Like I said I will see it this weekend but I wanted some insider information, before I made a decision.
thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM

I have taught quite a few students who live in the Rutledge development. I have taught several who still stop in to see me regularly, and obviously they enjoyed the school experience and are doing well. Like in most areas today, you have both good and not so good. Since you seem like a concerned and involved parent with a talented child, you will really need to keep on top of things and get to know her friends and their parents. Public school teachers cannot legally tell you if your child has selected inappropriate friends, but I would say to get to know teachers and principals. I have found a dedicated staff in all areas of the Colonial district.

Utilities went up tremendously this past year; however, we have been careful and our bills have been about the same as past years.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM

sxmgirl thanks for the futher advice, what is the general climate at the high school, which is my larger concern that 8th grade, they appear to have a strong cirriculum and a wide selection of electives. Yes she is an excellent student and a smart girl. And I stay on top of her now. I will look at the area next weekend and see what I think. I will prob. visit the schools in the spring.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Like most schools in the US, we are now starting with the career clusters initiative. Each student will have a pathway based on this initiative. If your daughter can stay in honors classes, she will get a very good education at William Penn. There are all types of activities for her to get involved in, and since she is in chorus, we have several types of them. There is regular chorus and jazz chorus (not sure of their exact names). If she likes sports, William Penn has won the sportsmanship award for the state for the past 10 years. I would certainly schedule a visit in the spring. Keep in mind that we start our new school year earlier than any other public school in the state. Next year, teachers start on August 14, and students start a few days later. Most of us actually have a lesson prepared for the first day of school.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofny View Post
I am a divorce woman (40) with a 10 yr. daughter who is fed-up with NYC and its population. I have decided to relocate to New Castle. I am looking for info on the school district in New Castle and activities for my daughter who currently plays softball, basketball, soccer. What does a 10 yr. old do for entertainment? We are coming from a big city where skating, movies theaters is all round the corner. How does the kids commute back and forward from school when the parents commute from the larger areas? What is the crime rate in New Castle?

The only thing I know for sure..is that I have to leave NYC

Many thanks
Hey there. I went to school in New Castle. I relocated from Liverpool England with my newly divorced mother when I was 11years old. Your daughter would have no problem finding activities here. The public school district is Colonial School District. The high school is William Penn. I went there. It's the largest school in the state (approx 2500 students). Huge! But the benefits are the AWESOME sports teams and many clubs. William Penn takes championships in Football, Soccer, Basketball, and Softball so your daughter would love it there in terms of sports. As any large school, there are potential pitfalls, but as long as your daughter has your teachings, she would fare well especially coming from NYC. There is so much diversity at this school. In retrospect, I really learned how to communicate effectively and deal with MANY personality types as a result. And the benefits showed when I went to college and met others from different states.

As for community sports, there is a softball league called Suburban Little League. I played for them as well. It was great. There is cyo and ymca basketball teams as well. Good community soccer teams would be found in the North Wilmington area, whch is only 20 minutes from New Castle. If there are any soccer teams in New Castle, they aren't any good.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,985 times
... and I forgot to mention... my 10 year reunion is in one month!!! lol!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 AM

asuttell, I have been teaching there for 11 years. Do you remember your teachers and are you going to your reunion? Also, thanks for the good words for William Penn. We don't hear them enough, but students who want to learn will get a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware