Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware a Northeastern State?
Yes, Delaware is a northeastern state 95 56.89%
No, Delaware is not a northeastern state 72 43.11%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times

Advertisements

Looking at it from food influence - clearly northern. Pizza, pizza and more pizza. Don't get me wrong, I love a good pie.

Maybe someone can give me a suggestions for some really good Delaware state wood smoked pulled pork, a little vinegar sauce. Juicy smoked brisket. Half a smoked chicken. Side of home made slaw. A couple pieces of white bread. A bottle of Coke. Then we are talking southern..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Delaware is in the Mid Atlantic, no matter how they speak or think .

Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Wilmington is a north eastern city. Of-course it is.
Sure just like Bangor Maine

Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Agree with Ben...Mid Atlantic.

I do believe there are more northern attributes than southern if I must pick a side. My husband's grandmother and her family were actually from the real south (Appalachian Tennessee) and they would laugh at the suggestion of Delaware being a southern state.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Southeast,, ,Mid. Atlantic, , Northeast ...is that hard ?? Someone may FEEL like they are in the the Northeast but they are not. A guy may Feel like Superman but he's not...Perhaps in collage some professor said you are what you feel, but he's wrong.. ..The shot of it is we don't want you....Sorry for hurt feelings.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 PM

70 posts, read 100,240 times
The Mid-Atlantic is part of the Northeast. Just like New England is.

Most people outside the Northeast couldn't even tell you what Mid-Atlantic when means. I'd never even heard about it until fairly recently.

Different cities and regions in the Northeast are diverse and different just as is the case for anywhere else. You think Eastern Tennessee isn't incredibly different from New Orleans isn't different from San Antonio? That Eureka, CA isn't totally different from LA?

Also, not everyone in the South would even be sure Virginia is part of the South any more. A good portion of it has been sucked into the DC region. Many Southerners wouldn't be so sure about even West Virginia. And then there's Florida...

Anyway, Delaware may have historically been a "border" state, but the Northeast has congealed around it.

Last edited by Icarus7; 05-18-2018 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 100,240 times
I'll also point out that you are always going to run into issues using states as proxies for culturally, economically, or otherwise non politically defined areas.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 27,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus7 View Post
The Mid-Atlantic is part of the Northeast. Just like New England is.

Most people outside the Northeast couldn't even tell you what Mid-Atlantic when means. I'd never even heard about it until fairly recently.

Different cities and regions in the Northeast are diverse and different just as is the case for anywhere else. You think Eastern Tennessee isn't incredibly different from New Orleans isn't different from San Antonio? That Eureka, CA isn't totally different from LA?

Also, not everyone in the South would even be sure Virginia is part of the South any more. A good portion of it has been sucked into the DC region. Many Southerners wouldn't be so sure about even West Virginia. And then there's Florida...

Anyway, Delaware may have historically been a "border" state, but the Northeast has congealed around it.
Thank you—finally someone else who understands that the mid-Atlantic is largely part of the northeast. The northeast is not just synonymous with New England + New York.

Also, having “country,” “redneck,” or agricultural areas does not = southern. Those attributes exist in various forms around the entire country.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 AM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
Sussex County still had slaves up until the Civil War. I think they had a lot of tobacco plantations in this region of the state.

The Wilmington area, which is now part of the Philly metro, I would classify as Northeastern. But once you leave the northern tier of the state, DE has more characteristics in common with the South (and southern Maryland). Perhaps the biggest of these are the many blacks / African-Americans still living in areas where their slave ancestors worked and lived.

However, as someone else already pointed out people in Delaware sound nothing like Southerners... and there are descendants of slaves still living along the Hudson River in New York. So, who knows?!!

Last edited by 2ner; 05-19-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 12:01 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware