Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:15 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times

Advertisements

Yes, I seem to see fox anywhere anymore. I don't remember seeing them very often at all when I was growing up in Oak Orchard--and we lived in a secluded wooded area. Now, I live in densely populated suburbia and see them all the time. Of course, we do live near wetlands, woods, and farms....but still. I'm just glad I haven't encountered a rabid one yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:18 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
Bats concern me. I like to walk in the evening and I had a few act aggressively last year.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

Fox seem to more prevalent these days, don't they? Either that, or they aren't afraid of venturing out into residential areas.
Maybe because a lot of their habitat is turning into nice new developments????

Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
And you probably don't have people hunting them.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Because we are trekking in Nepal this autumn, we will be having the 3 injection series of human rabies preventative vaccine later this summer. This is generally a good measure for spelunkers here in the US to take, and also for some people who work in occupations with enhanced risk of rabies exposure. I wonder if it may not be a good idea for people who spend a good deal of time outdoors in areas where rabies is occurring. Human rabies vaccination is more routinely done in some countries where rabies is endemic. After the 3 injections given over a period of a month, most people will develop extended resistance to rabies infection, although booster injections are still considered necessary after a suspect animal bite -- however, having had the preventative series should give one a much greater sense of security in the event of contact with a rabid animal (saliva can still potentially transmit infection even if there is no actual bite). After the initial series, a single booster injection can also be given a year later, which has been shown to confer immunity in most people for at least ten years. Occasional blood tests can also be done to confirm the presence of adequate rabies antibodies to confer protection. I'm actually looking forward to getting the series, not just for our upcoming trip but also so I won't have to worry about the risk of infection here in North America. Something to think about if your outdoor pursuits may place you at enhanced risk.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Maybe because a lot of their habitat is turning into nice new developments????
I think you're right, LN! They're probably thinking ........
what happened to our wide open spaces ?

Last edited by rdlr; 06-27-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 06:59 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm actually looking forward to getting the series, not just for our upcoming trip but also so I won't have to worry about the risk of infection here in North America. Something to think about if your outdoor pursuits may place you at enhanced risk.
I had an exposure to a potentially rabid animal. Rather than take chances, I chose the post-exposure prophylactic series. It was not inexpensive. The human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) was by far the most expensive component but you don't need that if you're getting the vaccine as a pre-exposure preventative measure.

I mention this because people who work with wild animal populations such as feral cat colonies might want to consider doing the pre-exposure series. To me, the peace of mind was worth the expense.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:15 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
I agree that wild animal habitat being built upon and fewer people hunting them is playing a role in more human and rabid animal encounters. I have seen many new developments pop up where it was once wooded land here in Ocean View (Bay Forest and Toll Brothers comes to mind)--and it was already very developed in my area when we moved here thirteen years ago. It is now houses on top of houses.

Doctorjef--I think that your rabies preventative vaccine is a great idea, not only for your upcoming trip but also for prevention here in the US. It also may be wise for other people in certain high risk occupations to do so as well....most definitely.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:53 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
I had no idea there was a preventative vaccine for rabies.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
You can even get the series administered at Walgreens, although they have to order it, as they don't normally keep it in stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware