Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,441 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
need some help and guidance. I am a mid 30s professional from the NYC metro area moving to Wilmington in a couple of months with a new job. I have only been to Wilmington/ Newark area a couple of times for work and although i am busy doing my research, I would love to get some input from you guys on the following:

- Where to live? Where do mid 30s professionals (with a healthy sense of social life) live in Wilmington?

I am looking for buildings with good amenities and close to gyms, outdoor activities, shopping etc. I have a dog as well, so some good outdoors space nearby would be great. Moving from the NYC area, its hard to tell the rental price difference but I am estimating a max of 1250-1400/ month for rent.

- What is the social scene like?

- What things would you recommend someone look into in terms of activities, social, art culture, outdoors etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 PM

314 posts, read 555,179 times
The short answer is Trolley Square. Find a map of Wilmington and search property between the boundaries of Pennsylvania Ave to the left and the Brandywine Creek to the right.

Sure, there are other decent areas within the city limits, but nothing else (IMHO) compares to the quality of life Wilmington provides for young professionals than the Trolley area.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks very much. Ive heard good things about the riverfront area, what are your thoughts on that?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 PM

Riverfront is not bad. It is just not my cup of tea. Riverfront is if you took an industrial wasteland and gentrified its core. Riverfront feels isolated, especially with its lack of single family homes. Trolley Square feels more historical and authentic with lots of rich architecture and natural surroundings like Rockford Park. Trolley has a lot of old money houses, combined with rowhomes, twins and Victorian style houses converted into apartments. Trolley is a picturesque uptown district, where as the Riverfront is if you took a crappy part of town turned into luxury apartments with Starbucks on the corner. And due to that, Riverfront is extremely transient with is lack of permanent dwellings. Riverfront has that, "this area seems cool, but would never going to settle down here long-term" feel. Conversely, the Trolley area is a combination of young professional renters along with generational residents. Does that make sense?

I am renting in Trolley on $1025, so if your budget is $1250-4000, I'd say Trolley Square all the way.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM

absolutely. makes a lot of sense. I found one apartment complex that peaked my eye called 1303 Delaware... any others that cross your mind? THANKS so much. this is very helpful

Old 11-01-2016, 09:12 PM

1303 is a nice high rise building, I've been inside before. I believe all your utilities are included. The drawback is the units don't have in unit laundry, but if you are ok with using the coin machines, it wouldn't be a problem for you. If I were going to live there and drive a car, I would pay the extra $100-$150 for on off street spot as street parking is extremely dense around that complex.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I prefer a building with in unit w/d

Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM

If you find other listings, private message me and ill give you my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: