Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

Joe, I hear ya. Chicago has tons and tons of zip codes like that. Houston less so (either it's good or bad there--despite the no zoning laws). Thanks for the tips, and I have written then down for when I look on the net for houses. Lots of cute ones for me at decent prices, tho, in 19805.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Joe, I hear ya. Chicago has tons and tons of zip codes like that. Houston less so (either it's good or bad there--despite the no zoning laws). Thanks for the tips, and I have written then down for when I look on the net for houses. Lots of cute ones for me at decent prices, tho, in 19805.
If you get confused, let me know, and I'll block out the bad areas of the zip code in ms paint and post it

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,176 times
Default You sound familiar with 19805

Hi Joe, you sound like you know the area very well. what can you tell me about Linkwood/Brookside area. 19805 zip.

Thanx in Advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
19805 is listed as Elsmere by some sources, which always kinda pissed me off because I was from 19805 and I lived in Wilmington, which was bigger, but........

19805 in Wilmington is comprised of good and bad neighborhoods. The bad neighborhoods are mostly east of Lincoln Street, although there are some good neighborhoods around St. Elizabeths and around Maple and Sycamore streets.

West of Lincoln, the only bad neighborhood is between Lancaster Ave and 4th going all the way up to Wilmington high (this area is commonly called Greenhill.)

19805 includes really nice areas like Wawaset, decent areas like Union Park Gardens, and lots of developments bordering Faulkland road and elsmere.

After thinking a while, 19805 is really difficult to discern, it's such a mixed bag of decent inner-ring suburbs of Wilmington, and the crap parts of Wilmington and Elsmere as well (Elsmere can get really trashy.)

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,569 times
Delaware zip codes don't define neighborhoods narrowly. so, although, the statistics and maps are the only things go by for the beginners (not OP, because she has a history of starting with off the wall statements) nobody from afar i.e. without actually seeing the neighborhood for oneself, can make a definitive statement vis-a-vis CRIME

Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 PM

I don't know Roselle as well as I would some other areas, but I would dare to say that it is a safe area that most people would generally label as Elsmere, although outside of Elsmere limits.

There is an increasing number of Latino migrant workers in the area, so, I would say there have to be some moving in to the neighborhood, as Kirkwood Highway in that area is riddled with Mexican- themed restaurants, etc.

Traditionally the area is white, and functioned as an older inner-ring suburb of Wilmington.

The positive points are that the area is extremely convenient to 141, therefore, I-95, Kirkwood Highway, Prices Corner, and the City of Wilmington.

A negative point is that the area could be considered the slightest bit run down.

If I didn't have a personal vendetta against Elsmere, I would consider the area for a practical family on a budget.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM

53 posts, read 140,677 times
I lived in this neighborhood (Brack-Ex) for several years. Brookside Avenue is the roughest street with many rental properties & run down houses. County Police are back there every day.

The intersection of Brookside & Linkwood used to flood pretty badly, but improvements made a couple of years ago to the creek have stopped this problem, and one family I know on Linkwood had the flood insurance requirement dropped from their mortgage. The stigma of that flooding remains, and some of the houses still have signs of damage & mold.

The neighborhood improves just a block or two over. The homes closer to Kirkwood Hwy are older and have a lot of architectural character. South Clifton divides Brack-Ex from Roselle, with Roselle being a nicer & better kept neighborhood.

Are you looking at renting or buying? If you are renting, you may want to look for something a street or two over. If buying a home, it's hard to match the low prices of Brookside & Linkwood, but take a look at Brookland Terrace (also 19805) or anything in the 19804 zip code.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Joe, what is your personal vendetta against Elsmere? I'd love to hear it! I recently moved away from the area, so I have my own list of gripes against the town....

Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM

My issues with Elsmere arise mostly from the overbearing police presence. Elsmere has always been a police trap for anyone who needs to get from Wilmington to the shopping on Kirkwood Highway. Being from town, I fully resent being "preyed upon," by Elsmere police to fund their town.

Take away the police, and Elsmere wouldn't be too bad. The other problem I have with Elsmere arises from some roughnecks who like to think they are gangster sitting in their Elsmere rowhomes. Add the flooding, and cockroaches at Pizza Castle, and I can't help from getting a bad vibe off of Elsmere.

I would say that I'm alone, but I'm not. I have multiple friends who avoid going through the town because of the "beautiful reputation," the cops have instilled. They don't like having to watch their speedometer in fear of getting pulled over. Who would?

It has gotten to the point where, after getting pulled over 4 times for going over the bridge, that I refuse to enter the town limits of Elsmere completely. I take I-95 to 141 to get to 19808. I know exactly where the town limits are, and avoid them at all cost. Why? I don't need any more hassle in my life, and for the little that Elsmere has ever contributed to me , or the people I know, it has given tenfold the amount of problems. I have talked with friends from the area, and we all consider Elsmere as Wilmington's "tumor."

The only thing I would ever enter the town for anymore would be to see our family mechanic, Mr. Read. 85 years old, and still kicking (I hope.)

PS: Forgot about Elsmere's flooding... glad you mentioned what you did. Thanks.

Last edited by Joe84323; 08-30-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Joe, when I moved from Elsmere to Newark, our family's auto insurance policy dropped $700 per year.

It was so aggravating to us that the Elsmere Police would set up speed traps rather than target the illegal immigrants driving uninsured vehicles with PA tags.... although I admit the town tried to address that problem and was blasted for discrimination and profiling.

Each of my kids received a radar detector along with their driver's license. I felt like a "bad parent", but that is how ridiculous those speed limits are. There is no reason for DuPont Road to drop to 25 mph between Kirkwood Hwy and Faulkland Road. There is absolutely nothing there; no pedestrians, no businesses or residences... there haven't been any accidents that I can remember to justify this drop from the typical 35 mph to 25 mph.

Their strategy is coming back to bite them in the ***. Elsmere could have been a great little place, its main road with the grass median is very attractive, and its stores are built close to the road making it very pedestrian friendly; it has the physical attributes that I see the "Claymont Renaissance" striving for. But most of the businesses there now are Hispanic... not exactly a draw for many people.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Hispanics aren't people and shouldn't open businesses? This is typical petty Delaware white working class kvetching. I go to the barber in Elsemere and I never worry about getting a speeding ticket there because I don't habitually and willfully exceed the speed limits, flauting the law like some of you guys apparently choose to do. I like the Hispanic businesses in Elsmere. They fill an important niche and add character and diversity to greater Wilmington. Elsmere also has the finest furniture store in northern New Castle County and indeed probably in Delaware as a whole, Pala Brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware