Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2022, 09:56 PM

189 posts, read 205,010 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we need some advice. We are a interracial married couple. Our age group is 39-45 We don't have any children and currently live in South Central Pennsylvania. We both have been eye balling different states for quite a while and looking to relocate around next year lord willing. I was born and raised a city girl who enjoys simple nightlife, weekend getaways, shopping, basic fun things etc. We have a small dog and we both enjoy some good food and occasional drinks, jazz clubs, bowling, concerts, amusement parks, fairs, flea markets, camping, gaming etc. We love to meet people and be social have friends. People are not too friendly if you are not from here. We are open to renting at first and see how it goes. Budget is $1200 for renting are there any suggestions for some suburban to rural areas that offers a peaceful low crime, diverse, and STRONG internet and affordable healthcare services? So any constructive feedback is appreciated thanks for your time.. We are basically looking for that go out and have fun then come home to "quiet " type situation. Does Delaware possess that? Trolley Square was one place we were looking at however we would have to visit to see.

As far as employment goes I am a CDL A truck driver, customer service background, medical insurance background. Husband is IT background and manufacturing and yes we are currently employed. Was wondering if there is any good place neighborhoods of interest. Our budget for house purchase is $275k in the future when market calms down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 03:10 PM

wow i guess I have the idea about here already over 54 views and no response WOW

Old 12-16-2022, 03:21 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
We’re booming here in Huntsville, Alabama and would be glad to have you here.

Old 12-16-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
We’re booming here in Huntsville, Alabama and would be glad to have you here.

is that a joke??

Old 12-16-2022, 03:57 PM

No, why would you think it might be? Huntsville has grown from a town of about 10,000 in the mid-fifties to a current population of over 220,000. The moon missions were managed from Huntsville’s NASA facilities here on Redstone Arsenal, which is home to the U. S. Army Missile and Aviation Command. The FBI has approximately 5,000 employees on Redstone Arsenal now and is talking about possibly doubling that number. The U.S Army Materiel Command, which procures and develops everything that the Army buys is also on Redstone Arsenal. We have the second largest Research Park in the United States, second only to Raleigh-Durham NC. The Toyota Mazda joint venture car building facilities are located here in Madison County as well as Toyota’s engine assembly facility. That’s just the basics.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
No, why would you think it might be? Huntsville has grown from a town of about 10,000 in the mid-fifties to a current population of over 220,000. The moon missions were managed from Huntsville’s NASA facilities here on Redstone Arsenal, which is home to the U. S. Army Missile and Aviation Command. The FBI has approximately 5,000 employees on Redstone Arsenal now and is talking about possibly doubling that number. The U.S Army Materiel Command, which procures and develops everything that the Army buys is also on Redstone Arsenal. We have the second largest Research Park in the United States, second only to Raleigh-Durham NC. The Toyota Mazda joint venture car building facilities are located here in Madison County as well as Toyota’s engine assembly facility. That’s just the basics.

I understand that but we are not military people. That would not interest us honesty. The space station is pretty cool though. We looked at a few pictures we would like to know about the job market and taxes and diversity out there. My husband is into stuff like that. I like hondas not a Toyota fan lol. I've heard alot about alabama in the past most of it not good from someone who is actually from there. Basically he said its either complete poverty or complete rich no middle class and he was desperate to move out lol Younger african american in his 30's. He drive for the same trucking company as myself. He also spoke of racism as you can see i posted we are interracial newlyweds.

Also I did post in the Alabama forum and just like here no responses LOL. I appreciate you responding though. You are talking to me on the delaware forum are you not in alabama?

Old 12-17-2022, 05:58 PM

Five percent of Huntsville’s work force are federal employees, a very small portion of that are actually military personnel. The job market is strong with low unemployment.

State income tax is stair-stepped up to 6 percent, general sales tax is 6.5 percent in the county and 9 percent in Huntsville, property taxes on single-family residences is based on 10 percent of appraised value at $5.85 per thousand less $39 for homestead exemption (we paid $1390 for our $280k condo), car tags for the 2022 Buick Avenir and 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser totaled $716). Taxes would be lower in the County. There are no occupational taxes.

Data is available on the Huntsville City-Data.com’s page for income distribution and diversity of Huntsville’s residents. You can get a good feel on just how rapidly Huntsville is developing by reading on the Huntsville-Decatur-Limestone Development forum just above the main Alabama forum.

Best of luck in your search for your next best home.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:11 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I can't speak for the rest of DE. but the beach area is not for you for several reasons. Number 1 is your budget and the second is that the summer traffic here would add so much time to your day driving that it would not be worth your while. I think you would like the area and the interracial nature of your marriage is not at all an issue here. That said, even with a tumble in the market and a severe one the prices are out of your range here.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:20 AM

188 posts, read 153,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I can't speak for the rest of DE. but the beach area is not for you for several reasons. Number 1 is your budget . . .even with a tumble in the market and a severe one the prices are out of your range here.
I always kind of scratch my head at this sort of question -- it takes just a few minutes of poking around on [real estate search Web site of your choice].com to figure out the basic range of the selling prices of houses in a given area. I don't need to go on the Manhattan, NY CD site and say "Hey, my budget is $250,000, what kind of house can I get?"

Old 01-25-2023, 06:34 PM

307 posts, read 296,448 times
I'm sure to get flamed for this, but...

Delaware is the "Gun and Hoe" state because its on their flag.

I've lived in all 3 counties at some point, held corporate IT, State, and small private employment jobs. Grew up at the DE beach, worked for the state in Dover, and lived in Newark/Bear for many years. We're in your age group.

You may want central North Carolina, not DE. NC is the best of all worlds - Mountains, beaches, activity, nightlife, sports, shopping and entertainment of all levels. You name it. NC has a booming economy and job in both logistics and IT far superior to DE. I'm not sure why they're pushing to attract retirees and tax refugees from neighboring states, but its not going to help innovation or development. It also decreases the average age. New Castle County has tons of crime issues with its proximity to 95 and some other areas.

DE healthcare is not good either.

NC is pretty diverse too because nobody is from here lol. Most are from Pa/NJ/NY so its just like being in DE sometimes. We just got a Capriottis next to an a Whole Foods too!

I hear 'Bama is cool, but its a little too deep South for me and I used to live in SC. My wife has some friends in 'Bama who moved from DE and they don't ever plan on leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware