Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM

272 posts, read 786,607 times

Advertisements

She said three words - and you immediately assume that you know what she thinks and believes. You then disregard proof that doesn't fit your assumption (the redneck quote). This says more about you than it does her.

People on the Internet immediately assume the worst. This in all likelihood is due to the limitations of the medium. One has to make a conscious effort to resist the temptation to flame strangers over every slight whether real or imaginable. Don't forget that on the other side of the screen there is a living, breathing human being that isn't all that different from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
Come on are you kidding me. The only reason why people tend to make a quick judgement about things is that it's written media. I can't see her when she is making that statement. I don't know if she was being silly, naive or just plain serious about what she said. If I don't want people to think I'm a pervert, then don't do perverted things. It's as simple as that. Like I stated before if she wanted to be in a safe middle-class neighborhood. Why not say that instead of predominately white neighborhood.
The whole point of the matter is why throw color into the equation. I wouldn't interpret or assume that she is racist if she didn't say White Neighborhood. I'm sorry let me get it correct. Predominately White neighborhood. As for the Redneck, do you really think people tend to get all in an uproar about being called a Redneck. They even make fun of themselves.
Come on dude we can go back and forth for days, about this subject, but their were four people on this board who spotted out what she said. That forth being you. But instead of seeing it for what it is which is a ridiculous statement, you defend it. I understand that there were two negative remarks the op made, but you and I know which one is going to draw more attention. I'll even retract my statement of her being racist, but you got to admit, why would she through out the white neighborhood part?

Last edited by jayman1981; 09-18-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 PM

272 posts, read 786,607 times
It was a poor choice of words on her part, I'll grant, and there is no way I would have defended her saying an "all white neighborhood." However having been online now for 20 years I try not to assume the worst about people. It's not easy given that the medium often seems to bring out the worst in people sometimes, but I try anyway. I like civil discussion not flames.

I just don't think she is racist. Maybe she is, I don't know, but until she says something unambiguously racist, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:00 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
Well I can definitely agree with your statement. Point well taken.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 AM

31 posts, read 105,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I picked up on that, but it doesn't mean she's racist. There is, unfortunatly, an undisputed statistical connection to crime and African Americans. I wish it wasn't like that, but it is.

I, personally, lived in an all-white neighborhood in Philadelphia for a while, with no diversity, and the outcome was a very boring, bland neighborhood. My next move is an area with a mix of white, black, asian and hispanic people because of the bad experience I had in the last neighborhood. I'm not a big fan of any homogenous areas, as they can be very closed-minded areas with little diversity, whether they be all white, all black, all spanish, or whatever.
That is NOT true. I suppose you don't think any crimes against the Africans in the Southern states by 'whites' has anything to do with the perpetrators racial background...

Crime is linked to poverty (although domestic murders are rising across the board).

Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleElle View Post
That is NOT true. I suppose you don't think any crimes against the Africans in the Southern states by 'whites' has anything to do with the perpetrators racial background...

Crime is linked to poverty (although domestic murders are rising across the board).

I appreciate what you're saying, but you are wrong. Statistically, blacks are linked with higher crime rates. I'm speaking STATISTICALLY. You want to challege this, talk to any demographer or statistician or read their reports.

I don't like that that is how it is, but it is a statistical fact. Do your homework.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,628 times
well with all this said I hope someone can point me to a predominantly BLACK upper middle class community;i'll settle for a mix community lol yes my kids need to interact with all kinds of people. I am relocating from NYC. HELP

Last edited by LBSUGGA; 09-23-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: word spelled wrong

Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,577 times
WOW! I just logged on since I posted my initial question. I had no idea I had lit such a spark! I wanted to be as specific as possible while describing what I was looking for. I grew up, and still live in, an all white area. I like it that way and I really don't see what the problem is with what I said. I didn't say anything nasty or malicious. I just wanted to give specific specs on what I was looking for. Why am I being criticized for my living preferences? I don't want to live in a diverse area. That is my personal preference and last time I checked, opinions and individual likes and dislikes were allowed. Why are some of you trying to cram your opinions down my throat? I would like to thank the few people who actually addressed my question and I would also like to thank those who defended me. Their posts were much appreciated and helpful!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Thank you for your advice and that you for congratulating me!!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM

AWWWW Thx for the invite! I have been to Chicago and I LOVE it there!!! What a clean city!!! I went to University of Iowa and have many friends in ShyTown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware