Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 33,342 times

Advertisements

Anyone with experiences from Middletown?
We are Germans, living in Germany. My daughter 16y wants to spend a high school year in the States as an exchange student. I am working in an anglo-saxon company here in Germany. An unknown US colleague has offered to host my daughter in her family, here in Middletown. Looking forward to reading some of your feedbacks on how a German teenager can "survive" in Middletown.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Fischer View Post
Anyone with experiences from Middletown?
We are Germans, living in Germany. My daughter 16y wants to spend a high school year in the States as an exchange student. I am working in an anglo-saxon company here in Germany. An unknown US colleague has offered to host my daughter in her family, here in Middletown. Looking forward to reading some of your feedbacks on how a German teenager can "survive" in Middletown.
Thanks in advance

Well nice to meet you Franz Fischer..........And I'm sure your daughter will be fine.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,592 times
As a parent of older teens, I think the experience can be invaluable for your daughter. As a mother of a soon to be 17 yr old girl, I can relate to your concerns.

What I would question would be...

1) Is your daughter "mature" enough to be that far away from home, for that long a period? As I'm sure you know, trans-atlantic flights would not be cheap!

2) Will her studies be compatible from Germany to the US?

3) How dependable and secure is the "host family" situation?

I have heard good and bad about schools in Middletown, but if your daughter has her head on straight (so to speak), she will be fine as elizamary said. If she is easily influenced to take up with "the wrong crowd", that will happen even back in Germany.

Assuming her English is good, she should love the American experience! Keep us posted, and welcome to the forum!

Mary

Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM

6 posts, read 38,444 times
If she gets homesick for hearing some German or simply wants to talk to someone else who has been there, she could contact me. I lived in Holland for 7+ years and Germany for 4 years (Wiesbaden and surrounding areas). I still speak very resonable German and would love to talk to someone from ANYWHERE in Germany, as it was my favorite of all the places I lived when my father was in the US Air Force and we moved all over the place.

There are some small cultural differences, but she should do just fine. The hardest thing for her to get used to will be the lack of public transportation. I live in Germany from 1984 thru 1988, and it wasn't that different from the US back then, and I suspect it has gotten even more like the US in the years since then. She won't find any place that serves a decent Jaegerschnitzel, but you can get Bratwurst and knokwurst in the local stores (not as good as at home, but decent if you know how to cook it right).

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Thank you very much for your advices and offers. My daughter recently qualified for an exchange programme. Now we are awaiting the "GO" from Middletown High School or the new one opening in August and from the host family. What we do still not know yet is what are youngsters doing apart from school here in Middletown. Everett Theatre and Peach Festival, plus ???? Leaving the very best wishes to all of you for Christmas and a peaceful NEW YEAR.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,592 times
Hi Franz,

Thanks for the warm wishes for the holidays! As far as your daughter and things to do, I can't speak as someone very experienced in the area, as we only moved here in September. However, I am learning daily of activities available, and it seems there are several things of interest all over DE. As Middletown is somewhat central, I would think she would not want for things to do and explore. I presume a lot would depend on her interests.

Happy holidays to you as well; I look forward to hearing of your daughter's progress come spring.

Mary

Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Middletown, be prepared, Laura's coming in August. She is so exited and her mother even more.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time, it'll be a neat experience for her and very exciting. I know nothing about high schools in Delaware but I wish her well and hope you give little updates when you get a chance.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,742 times
Hi Franz,

Hallo! Woher in Deutschland seit Ihr? Wir freun uns auf unseren Umzug nach Delaware in 2 Wochen.

We are very excited about moving to Middletown, the east coast is so rich with history, hopefully her host family plan on taking her to all the historical sites.

We hosted an exchange student from Holland several years back, it was an interesting experience.

Laura

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Fischer View Post
Middletown, be prepared, Laura's coming in August. She is so exited and her mother even more.
Congratulations Franz. I remember when you first posted about your daughter's desire to be an exchange student and I'm happy to hear that she will have a chance to enjoy the experience. Much good luck to her.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware