Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering a possible move to the Greater Wilmington area and have just started some research today online. I am married and we have 2 young children. If I did move to the area, I would be working in a church and expected income would probably be low. It would be part time, so I would also be looking for a job in the area as well. The church is located in the 19805 zip code.

As far as housing, we would like a quiet and safe area, but at the same time it needs to affordable for someone not making alot of money. We would prefer to rent a house with at least 2 bedrooms and some room to breathe. We would also prefer not to be able to reach out our window and touch our neighbors, if you get what I'm saying.

As far as jobs, I have experience in the mortgage and sales industry, as well as forklift/warehouse experience, but am willing to do whatever it takes to make a living for my family.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM

272 posts, read 786,675 times
smorcy11
Family with 2 kids. Part time low income.

You're going to have to fix that.

Wilmington is one of the credit card centers of the country, so you could probably pick up a job in banking. Pay's not great but it could lead to better things - especially if you went to school at night.

The 19805 area is one of the less prosperous zip codes in northern Delaware. I don't know it as well as others, but working part time at a church probably wouldn't be enough for that either.

You've got to get a full time job - probably on top of the part time one at the church. That would at least get you a decent rental in the 19805 area, also in Elsmere/Newport.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
smorcy11
Family with 2 kids. Part time low income.

You're going to have to fix that.

Wilmington is one of the credit card centers of the country, so you could probably pick up a job in banking. Pay's not great but it could lead to better things - especially if you went to school at night.

The 19805 area is one of the less prosperous zip codes in northern Delaware. I don't know it as well as others, but working part time at a church probably wouldn't be enough for that either.

You've got to get a full time job - probably on top of the part time one at the church. That would at least get you a decent rental in the 19805 area, also in Elsmere/Newport.
That is my plan. If I went there, I would have to get a full time job as well as the part time work for the church.

I figure that with a half-way decent full time job, and a part time church salary, I will be able to afford a rent payment of around $1000.

Where is a quiet, safe area that I could get a 3 bedroom home rented for that price? As long as it's within a 20 minute drive or so to 19805 area is fine for me.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Look at Elsmere.. it can be a little trashy at times, but it will put you in a central location for commuting, and will be the best value for your money for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: