Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you go to Mexico for Cheap Dental Work?
Yes 33 60.00%
No 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,533 times

Advertisements

been to a dentist for my crowns in Mex and also to labs in NYC to cut out the middle man. you can try finding a lab that does workk for other dentists. thats what I did in NYC but, Mex will still be your cheapest alternative as is Hungary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
I’ve heard about many good dentists in San Luis Mex just across the border from Yuma. I’ve never used them however I understand there are many clinics there that treat Americans all the time. Strangely I’ve not heard much about Nogales dentists over the years.

If you do go to Mexico for dental work, be sure to have your passport and other papers in order before leaving this country. Passports only are now required for all Americans crossing the borders.

I wouldn’t worry about your present dentist, simply telling him you can’t effort his services for this work. YOU can get your dental records xrays etc to take with you, so don’t forget to ask about them. If he’s a good doctor he will understand and you can return to him for other simpler services, if not then you don’t want him anyway.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,533 times
now you can order a passport ID card that you can carry in your wallet the size of a Drivers Lic. You can use it when you visit Canada and Mex. I just picked up a form to renew my passport an noticed this new card.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 AM

487 posts, read 747,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
I could recommend many dentists in Costa Rica if you are interested. You could have a nice place to recuperate and save money.
I would love to do that but it's not too practical with time I have available.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
now you can order a passport ID card that you can carry in your wallet the size of a Drivers Lic. You can use it when you visit Canada and Mex. I just picked up a form to renew my passport an noticed this new card.
When I went to Tijuana for dental work back in November, I asked no less than 6 customs guards about the necessity of Americans possessing passports. I had my passport, but I asked them: What would happen if I didn't have this with me (brandishing my passport at them)?

One of the guards just laughed, slapped his wrist a few times, and said: There's your answer!

Canada may be different, but I don't see them ever being able to enforce it, crossing to and from Mexico. One guard told me, no passport, just show them your driver's license.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times
Question News, Would you go to Mexico for Cheap Dental Work?

I wouldn't go because I have dental insurance.

A sleepy border village in Mexico, just one-square mile and steps from the dusty deserts of Arizona, has slowly become one of the dental capitals of the world.
Los Algodones, nicknamed Molar City, has a population of 4,000, yet has about 350 dentists, some with so many patients the line swings out the door.

Read more: Los Algodones, Mexico, Has Become Dentist Capital of the World - Fox News Latino

Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
As long as American Dentists continue to offer Dental Plans I will stay here. Without Dental Plans I cannot afford dentistry.

If I can no longer find a dental plan than I would have to think about going elsewhere. You do what you have to do in life.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
I've just had one implant inserted that cost me $2,300 including the extras. I've got one more implant to do, so another $2,300 spent. Four months after each of the implants I'm going to have two crowns @ $1,100 fitted, plus I'm going to replace a broken crown at about $1,000.

By the time this has all finished I'm going to be spending well over $7,500. This is getting out of control. After speaking to friends I've been recomended by an acquaintence to try a dentist they have used in Nogales. So I'm going down there next month for a consultation.

How will my dentist in the USA react to the new work he will discover in my mouth next time I visit him?

Anyone ever tried this and what were the results?

Any recommendations who to see?
Or take a 1200$ round trip to India. You're sure to obtain less 1000$ dental treatment or at best 1500$, with some of the BEST dentists on the planet, in a country where medical profession is considered up there.

Lot of Americans are doing this right now. They call it medical tourism. It's also the sole non-western country where English is like the official professional language.

Medical tourism in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lower costs lure U.S. patients abroad for treatment - CNN

Of course, I'm preaching this coz I trust them. My mother still lives in India and she goes to Chennai (as mentioned in the wiki article) to get her top notch treatment.

Now she visited me and she got some minor chest pain and the like. I took her to the hospitals here in America, and after several procedures my bills were like close to 5000 bucks. Despite the fact that I had her on visitor insurance It took a fair chunk of money away, the same would have cost me 200 bucks back home.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Having had top-quality dental work in various parts of Latin America, it's even cheaper if you go to Central America. But don't be penny-wise-and-dollar-foolish to go there just for dental work. Make a vacation out of it!

I had dental work done in El Salvador, one time, which was half the price of Mexico.

Why does Mexico charge more? Because they know, inherently, they're closer to the U.S., and most Americans are fearful enough to go to Mexico for dental work, let alone go to El Salvador.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-22-2011 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having had top-quality dental work in various parts of Latin America, it's even cheaper if you go to Central America. But don't be penny-wise-and-dollar-foolish to go there just for dental work. Make a vacation out of it!

I had dental work done in El Salvador, one time, which was half the price of Mexico.

Why does Mexico charge more? Because they know, inherently, they're closer to the U.S., and most Americans are fearful enough to go to Mexico for dental work, let alone go to El Salvador.
I hope these countries bring up better infrastructure soon so Americans can travel and get their needs taken care of at a fraction of the cost.

That would break the backbone of the greedy American medical mafia eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health