Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I was just stating how it is in my office. Why would income information be made available in malpractice?
I have to know office financials in many different types of losses- malpractice (policy excess demands), employee embezzlement, loss of income due to property damage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Interesting. And you also know which insurances they are in network with?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I've never understood why dental care (general; not cosmetic) isn't included under health insurance, but such bogus (in my opinion) shenanigans as chiropractic, massage therapy, and physical therapy are. It's not as if an infection near your brain could kill you or you need good teeth in order to eat food and remain healthy, right?

SMH!

Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I don't know if this link will be alive for long,
but here's the direct link to the plan information...
http://bit.ly/2bfVc81
yeah, it looks like a dhmo, but I think I get to select my primary care provider.
There are a ton of dentists in my area in Delta's network, not just dental chains
I have the Kaiser version of that plan and it's just garbage, it's a capitation plan which means dentists get paid $5 or $8 a month for every patient that signs up with them, the participating dentists are usually in large corporate groups like Western Dental and Access. They offer a few free services like exams and x-rays but the other services are basically just slightly discounted, the same as you would find on any dental discount plan, some of which are available for free or for a few dollars. Sine no dentist can stay in business on $8 a month giving free exams and xrays and $25 cleanings, they have to up sell services.

My son is dating a hygienist who just quit working for one of the big chain dental companies that accepts these DeltaCare plans. She said a young guy who just needed a good cleaning and instructions on keeping his teeth clean and was sold a 4 quadrant root planing and scaling and adding a ton of other services to it for a grand total of $1007. She examined him and told the dentist it would be unethical to do what he wanted her to do, he sent in another hygienist who did the work and she walked out.

She said to add insult to injury they were charging the guy $77 for a bottle of chlorhexidine that you can get for $4 at Walmart. She said if it were an indemnity plan they would have checked to see if the service was appropriate, but since these function like discount plans and Delta has no skin in the game they don't care if the treatment is necessary.

When I told her I had DeltaCare insurance she said "cancel it and look for a Dentist who is not part of a big corporate chain and work out a discount for cash, in the long run you will save money"

Old 05-28-2017, 08:14 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have the Kaiser version of that plan and it's just garbage, it's a capitation plan which means dentists get paid $5 or $8 a month for every patient that signs up with them, the participating dentists are usually in large corporate groups like Western Dental and Access. They offer a few free services like exams and x-rays but the other services are basically just slightly discounted, the same as you would find on any dental discount plan, some of which are available for free or for a few dollars. Sine no dentist can stay in business on $8 a month giving free exams and xrays and $25 cleanings, they have to up sell services.

My son is dating a hygienist who just quit working for one of the big chain dental companies that accepts these DeltaCare plans. She said a young guy who just needed a good cleaning and instructions on keeping his teeth clean and was sold a 4 quadrant root planing and scaling and adding a ton of other services to it for a grand total of $1007. She examined him and told the dentist it would be unethical to do what he wanted her to do, he sent in another hygienist who did the work and she walked out.

She said to add insult to injury they were charging the guy $77 for a bottle of chlorhexidine that you can get for $4 at Walmart. She said if it were an indemnity plan they would have checked to see if the service was appropriate, but since these function like discount plans and Delta has no skin in the game they don't care if the treatment is necessary.

When I told her I had DeltaCare insurance she said "cancel it and look for a Dentist who is not part of a big corporate chain and work out a discount for cash, in the long run you will save money"
Yes, sadly, most of these dental discount plans are practically worthless. My husband has a group plan (I think it is Cigna or Humana) which is slightly better than average, but it doesn't really help much. Most of what we have needed had to be paid out of pocket. I had to shop to find a dentist who would negotiate a bit for cash. Unfortunately now that dentist has decided to operate like a chain by acquiring several offices and really "upselling" services, so I am going to have to find a new one, because the lady dentist who took his place is nasty and aggressive and I don't trust her one iota. Too bad.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, sadly, most of these dental discount plans are practically worthless. My husband has a group plan (I think it is Cigna or Humana) which is slightly better than average, but it doesn't really help much. Most of what we have needed had to be paid out of pocket. I had to shop to find a dentist who would negotiate a bit for cash. Unfortunately now that dentist has decided to operate like a chain by acquiring several offices and really "upselling" services, so I am going to have to find a new one, because the lady dentist who took his place is nasty and aggressive and I don't trust her one iota. Too bad.
I had no idea that corporations had gained such a foothold in dentistry, my son works for a public agency and has something called PMI which he just found out is really Deltacare he was told he needs 3 crowns and he "thought" crowns were covered in his plan but after reading it, they only cover stainless steel crowns so to get a decent crown the dentist wants more than full retail for the 'upgraded crown'. Shame on Delta for selling policies like that, it's so deceptive to think you have insurance and then find out you don't.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had no idea that corporations had gained such a foothold in dentistry, my son works for a public agency and has something called PMI which he just found out is really Deltacare he was told he needs 3 crowns and he "thought" crowns were covered in his plan but after reading it, they only cover stainless steel crowns so to get a decent crown the dentist wants more than full retail for the 'upgraded crown'. Shame on Delta for selling policies like that, it's so deceptive to think you have insurance and then find out you don't.

Yes corporate dentistry is killing the profession. Treatment decisions in those places are not made by the dentist, they are made by a "manager". The dentist says you need a cleaning and a filling for about $400. Then the manager in the back changes the treatment plan to scaling/root planing and a crown for $4000. The manager is paid a commission by the corporation. They have LOTS of dentist turnover because the dentists generally don't stay long term once they figure out how bad of a deal is going on.

It used to be obvious which places were corporate because they were chains like Monarch, Aspen, Archstone, Pacific Dental, Mint, Floss, MyDentist, etc. But now the corporate owners are "branding" these into local shops. Instead of putting "Monarch Dental" on the sign, they call it "Oakwood Family Dental" or something similarly unique to the location (I just made that name up).

Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Yes corporate dentistry is killing the profession. Treatment decisions in those places are not made by the dentist, they are made by a "manager". The dentist says you need a cleaning and a filling for about $400. Then the manager in the back changes the treatment plan to scaling/root planing and a crown for $4000. The manager is paid a commission by the corporation. They have LOTS of dentist turnover because the dentists generally don't stay long term once they figure out how bad of a deal is going on.

It used to be obvious which places were corporate because they were chains like Monarch, Aspen, Archstone, Pacific Dental, Mint, Floss, MyDentist, etc. But now the corporate owners are "branding" these into local shops. Instead of putting "Monarch Dental" on the sign, they call it "Oakwood Family Dental" or something similarly unique to the location (I just made that name up).
So how do you find out if Oakwood Family dental is part of a corporation or not, is it disclosed somewhere? I thought the dentist that I just went to was locally owned and operated but based on the dialog I had with the 'manager' where she tried to get me to sign off on expensive treatments that I am pretty sure I don't need, it sure sounds like a corporation.

What you are saying is the same thing my son's hygienist girlfriend said which leaves me wondering what to do? The only safe option I have at the moment is to go back to my Reno dentist which means a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 AM

I honestly don't know the best way to find out. I would ask around for friends and family to make recommendations. Especially friends who have been going to the same dentist for years because I would guess they are pretty happy if they are still going.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Most health care today seems to be all about the money -- even veterinary care. At some point people have to grow a backbone and learn to say no to upselling. Educate yourself and don't be intimidated. Buy the services you need, but no more. The days of "doctor knows best" are over; you can't just nod and agree to everything medical professional suggest without being taken to the cleaners. Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health