Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 AM

613 posts, read 945,411 times

Advertisements

So I finally went to a dentist a few weeks ago, having pain in the #30 molar. Turns out I had a huge cavity in that tooth, with an infection, & an abcess. The dentist wasn't sure the tooth could be saved, but said the endodontist could tell me. However, after an x-ray and exam, the endodontist kind of gave me the same spiel as the dentist: I could get a root canal & a crown, or have the tooth pulled & get an implant, or bridge. (I think the problem there is such a big hole in the center of the tooth from the cavity.)

I had no idea what to do. But before I left the office, I decided on the root canal, & they started it that morning. Then back in 2 weeks, where he finished it, in a very lengthy procedure. He seemed very very through. I was also on antibiotics for 15 days. Also, the pain stopped, really after the 1st root canal treatment.

However he said there is still some decay inside the tooth (?!), but that the dentist would take care of that. I have an app't. for next week, & the secretary told me I might need a post and core in addition to the crown. ($410 for the post and core, $1370 for the crown). Had anyone had a post and core done? Does it seem like it might make sense given what I've described?

Also what kind of material for the crown? The last 2 crowns I got were gold.

TIA for any advice--I'm getting nervous as He*ll about all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
I had a post with a root canal almost 40 years ago, and never had any problem with it since.

This site explains the reasons that a post / core may be needed:
https://www.animated-teeth.com/root_...anal_crown.htm

"If more than half of a tooth's original crown portion (the part of the tooth normally visible above the gum line) has been lost, a post is needed to assist with anchoring the core to the tooth."

Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
I've had a few post and core procedures, they do them when there isn't adequate tooth structure left to support the crown. It doesn't take long to do. The crowns I've had in the past few years on my back teeth have been zirconia they match my other teeth.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
The gold crowns are supposed to last forever but they are more expensive. I mostly have porcelain crowns but they do tend to crack after several years. Porcelain crowns look nice though because they match the color of your other teeth.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:38 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,727 times
Zirconia crowns can last a lifetime. They do have plusses and minuses, but are worth looking into.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 AM

Yes, I had found this site. Tons of info. there on root canals, post and core procedures, etc:

https://www.animated-teeth.com/root_...anal_crown.htm

I'll look into Zirconia crowns. My previous 2 crowns are gold, but one of them keeps falling off--it's just a little gold piece that fits on the top of the tooth, so the only thing holding it on is whatever glue (or whatever) they use to re-attach it. The dentist I'm currently seeing said to just leave it off (?). Better than paying $180 each time to have it re-glued & then fall off in 2 months.

FWIW, both the dentist, & endodontist, are in Portsmouth NH.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:59 PM

506 posts, read 651,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The gold crowns are supposed to last forever but they are more expensive. I mostly have porcelain crowns but they do tend to crack after several years. Porcelain crowns look nice though because they match the color of your other teeth.
My gold crowns are forty some odd years old but this year I've begun to have fractured roots under them. I think from grinding my teeth at night due to a lot of stress. If a dentist told me a crown was over a grand I'd get another dentist.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I had two post and cores done about a year ago at the same time. The cast posts are gold alloy, the crowns themselves are porcelain or zirconia. There just wasn't enough tooth. I could tell by looking at them.

The process itself was on the longer side, but I also had 2 done. That day he also had issues with his CO2 tanks (Whatever they need to run their tools). He had to keep going to different rooms to adjust the crowns, which added to the time. He closed his office to all patients but me.

It was 3k for everything. I didn't pay that, but that is roughly what they cost.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
My gold crowns are forty some odd years old but this year I've begun to have fractured roots under them. I think from grinding my teeth at night due to a lot of stress. If a dentist told me a crown was over a grand I'd get another dentist.
Well, yeah, 40 years ago almost everything was way less expensive. I seem to remember cleanings & "checkups" back in the 1970's costing $40-$50. And there's no way I'm gonna go on a search for the absolute cheapest dentist, like at one of those chain dental places. This guy I've started going to is supposed to be one of the best, & so far I think he is (& I've been to a lot of dentists!).

But you're in TX? Things may be cheaper there than in the North East. And good luck with your fractured roots, it sounds awful.

So I went back to the dentist, 2 weeks after the root canal. He did the "core buildup", with no post. Said the tooth was much stronger now, but recommended having the crown made, & said that'd make the tooth even stronger. However, he said he has patients who can't afford the crown & have gone for a year with "just" the root canal & "core buildup".

I'm in this for maybe $2200 so far. I think I should also go for the crown at $1370. I think??? The dentist did keep cautioning me that there are no guarantees, & the tooth could last forever, but maybe not, it could possibly break again. I think he's more thorough in discussing things than most dentists.

But how much stronger will the tooth be with the crown, than the way it is now? And why? He also said the visit to grind the tooth down (2 mm?) to prepare for the crown would take an hour, so I'd have to prepare for that.......I think I'm just feeling nervous & unsure what to do (again)......

Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Well, yeah, 40 years ago almost everything was way less expensive. I seem to remember cleanings & "checkups" back in the 1970's costing $40-$50. And there's no way I'm gonna go on a search for the absolute cheapest dentist, like at one of those chain dental places. This guy I've started going to is supposed to be one of the best, & so far I think he is (& I've been to a lot of dentists!).

But you're in TX? Things may be cheaper there than in the North East. And good luck with your fractured roots, it sounds awful.

So I went back to the dentist, 2 weeks after the root canal. He did the "core buildup", with no post. Said the tooth was much stronger now, but recommended having the crown made, & said that'd make the tooth even stronger. However, he said he has patients who can't afford the crown & have gone for a year with "just" the root canal & "core buildup".

I'm in this for maybe $2200 so far. I think I should also go for the crown at $1370. I think??? The dentist did keep cautioning me that there are no guarantees, & the tooth could last forever, but maybe not, it could possibly break again. I think he's more thorough in discussing things than most dentists.

But how much stronger will the tooth be with the crown, than the way it is now? And why? He also said the visit to grind the tooth down (2 mm?) to prepare for the crown would take an hour, so I'd have to prepare for that.......I think I'm just feeling nervous & unsure what to do (again)......
Yes it will definitely be stronger with the crown, every dentist I've been to has recommended a crown after a tooth has a root canal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health