Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times

Advertisements

Here are two walking photo tours of the city of Englewood. The first one I did last summer but never got around to uploading it. It focusses on downtown Englewood, and the new Englewood City Center light rail development, as well as the commercial strips along Hampden and Broadway. The second tour is more recent, where I did a long loop along Belleview, Federal, the Bear Creek trail, Platte River trail, Hampden, some of the neighborhoods, and a little bit of Broadway. A little bit of the boundaries of Sheridan and Littleton are featured here too. I try to show the good, bad, and the ugly.

Do you consider this town a natural extension of urban south/central Denver? Does Englewood have its own unique character? Hip? Funky? Redneck? Engle-hood?

I recommend clicking the "Slideshow" button once you follow the link.

Disclaimer for those not from Denver: there are many suburban areas in the south/southeast part of town that have "Englewood, CO" addresses but are actually part of Greenwood Village, Centennial, Lone Tree, and others. Those are completely different places than what is shown here.

Englewood-- Summer 2009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52776484@N02/sets/72157624670118434/ - broken link)

Englewood-- August 2010
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/52776484@N02/sets/72157624545432019/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
A little bit of the boundaries of Sheridan and Littleton are featured here too. I try to show the good, bad, and the ugly.

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/52776484@N02/sets/72157624545432019/ - broken link)
Awesome as usual! You're cheating a bit though - more than just the boundaries I saw a good amount of Littleton and Sheridan (and even Denver) in there

Didn't know there was a Golden Corral opening off Santa Fe? Looks open but the Golden Corral website says 'coming soon'.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Thanks for the tour. In the first slide show Genarro's, El Tejado and the Baghdad Cafe are actually in Denver. The first half of the second tour was mostly Sheridan, Littleton and Denver, not Englewood.

I consider Engelwood to be an extension of Urban Denver but it definitely has it's own distinct flavor. I like to call it Engle-neck. It has a lot of blue collar folks, a lot of seniors who have lived in the area since birth. It has yuppies, hippies, punk rockers, and low-life's. If you go to the King Soopers on Broadway and Hampden you'll get a pretty fair representation of who lives Englewood.

Englewood has it's good and bad parts and it's nice and not so nice blocks. Some people take really good care of their homes and yards while others don't lift a finger. It's a place where people live and let live. It's the kind of place that might give an HOA lover a heart attack.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Here are two walking photo tours of the city of Englewood. The first one I did last summer but never got around to uploading it. It focusses on downtown Englewood, and the new Englewood City Center light rail development, as well as the commercial strips along Hampden and Broadway. The second tour is more recent, where I did a long loop along Belleview, Federal, the Bear Creek trail, Platte River trail, Hampden, some of the neighborhoods, and a little bit of Broadway. A little bit of the boundaries of Sheridan and Littleton are featured here too. I try to show the good, bad, and the ugly.

Do you consider this town a natural extension of urban south/central Denver? Does Englewood have its own unique character? Hip? Funky? Redneck? Engle-hood?

I recommend clicking the "Slideshow" button once you follow the link.

Disclaimer for those not from Denver: there are many suburban areas in the south/southeast part of town that have "Englewood, CO" addresses but are actually part of Greenwood Village, Centennial, Lone Tree, and others. Those are completely different places than what is shown here.

Englewood-- Summer 2009 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52776484@N02/sets/72157624670118434/ - broken link)

Englewood-- August 2010
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting them. That was my old hood, until I left Colorado about 12 years ago. I have to say the Northeast part of Englewood, around the Hospitals hasn't really changed at all. I can even still recognize most of the apartment buildings in your pictures. The Northwest is like a different world though. When I left, they were just finishing demolishing the old Cinderella City Mall. So everything there is new now.

I have to agree with others, most of your 2010 pictures are actually parts of Littleton, Sheridan, and Southwest Denver. After the water park, you crossed into Littleton. Then you crossed back into Englewood, for a few blocks around Belleview and Federal. Then most of the way up Federal and along the trails until you crossed back over Santa Fe Dr you were in Sheridan.

I think Englewood is mostly natural extension of urban Denver. With out looking at maps it's hard to tell where Denver stops and Englewood begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver