Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are talking about two pretty similar size cities.
San Diego (including metro area) is significantly larger than Denver (including metro area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 AM

61 posts, read 164,075 times
Thank You all for some great reply's. Again, this IS a question I am still pondering so a move to Denver or it's immediate surrounding areas isn't eminent. Yes, sprawl is a factor, unfortunately with some of my requirements, I may have to put up with some of that. I grew up in a San Diego with only around a million people or less county wide. Now I think it's around 3 million or so and the only thing keeping San Diego from becoming Los Angeles is Camp Pendleton. I never thought I'd WANT to drive around so many freeways just to avoid the main arteries. I'm lucky in that I'm able to change my work hours to try and avoid the craziest times. When I travel around in my RV, I run through so many cool towns and people that I really have to ask myself "why" do I still live in San Diego when there are so many other areas of this great country to live. I've been to the east coast, traveled through the midwest, Texas, New Mexico etc. and one thing I'm not crazy about is the humidity. Lately, San Diego has become more and more humid. Why, I'm not sure. I can take the dry heat, moderate snow and cool evenings so my search for a place to live starts with these things. So for now, Denver, Boise, Colorado Springs, possibly some area in Oregon or Washington is where I think I'd feel most comfortable. If I could get through the humidity thing, then maybe Austin Texas or something North of Dallas would work too, but I do like Jeeping and the mountains so Colorado is high on my list. Yes, living closer to Moab would be cool, but then the city amenities of the Denver area would be lost. Taxes in Colorado make it attractive as well. a less than 5% income tax combined with what calculates out to around .6% property taxes is a nice relief never mind the lower sales taxes and more than likely lower insurance costs which I haven't investigated. I'm also not sure how the utilities are or if there are problems with water similar to what we have here in San Diego. People have been complaining because we are being asked to cut back on our already cut back water usage by at least 20%, but then get rewarded by increased water rates. There have been news stories where people have cut their water usage by 30% and seeing no difference in their water bills because the rates have been hiked up so much.

I didn't think of it, but maybe a basement isn't too good of an idea, maybe a 2nd story or a usable attic is a better idea. I didn't think of the water intrusion problems so I appreciate that insight as well. Anyhow, keep the suggestions coming, it's a very interesting discussion and I do appreciate all of your feedback both negative and positive.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Basements are common in cold climates because foundations must go BELOW the frost level. If you've gotta dig down 5 feet for the foundation, it doesn't cost that much more to go a few more feet and have a basement.

I don't think I'd finish a basement in a new home until I'd been in it through a wet spring. Even then, I'd be careful what you put on the walls and keep carpet to a minimum until you're certain. In my experience moisture just finds a way to get into basements.
Moisture problems can be mitigated with a French drain and a sump pump.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
Thank You all for some great reply's. Again, this IS a question I am still pondering so a move to Denver or it's immediate surrounding areas isn't eminent. Yes, sprawl is a factor, unfortunately with some of my requirements, I may have to put up with some of that. I grew up in a San Diego with only around a million people or less county wide. Now I think it's around 3 million or so and the only thing keeping San Diego from becoming Los Angeles is Camp Pendleton. I never thought I'd WANT to drive around so many freeways just to avoid the main arteries. I'm lucky in that I'm able to change my work hours to try and avoid the craziest times. When I travel around in my RV, I run through so many cool towns and people that I really have to ask myself "why" do I still live in San Diego when there are so many other areas of this great country to live. I've been to the east coast, traveled through the midwest, Texas, New Mexico etc. and one thing I'm not crazy about is the humidity. Lately, San Diego has become more and more humid. Why, I'm not sure. I can take the dry heat, moderate snow and cool evenings so my search for a place to live starts with these things. So for now, Denver, Boise, Colorado Springs, possibly some area in Oregon or Washington is where I think I'd feel most comfortable. If I could get through the humidity thing, then maybe Austin Texas or something North of Dallas would work too, but I do like Jeeping and the mountains so Colorado is high on my list. Yes, living closer to Moab would be cool, but then the city amenities of the Denver area would be lost. Taxes in Colorado make it attractive as well. a less than 5% income tax combined with what calculates out to around .6% property taxes is a nice relief never mind the lower sales taxes and more than likely lower insurance costs which I haven't investigated. I'm also not sure how the utilities are or if there are problems with water similar to what we have here in San Diego. People have been complaining because we are being asked to cut back on our already cut back water usage by at least 20%, but then get rewarded by increased water rates. There have been news stories where people have cut their water usage by 30% and seeing no difference in their water bills because the rates have been hiked up so much.

I didn't think of it, but maybe a basement isn't too good of an idea, maybe a 2nd story or a usable attic is a better idea. I didn't think of the water intrusion problems so I appreciate that insight as well. Anyhow, keep the suggestions coming, it's a very interesting discussion and I do appreciate all of your feedback both negative and positive.
Moving to Denver from Orange County, car insurance was much cheaper in California for some reason. Like $3600 a year more. And funny that to outsiders, CO taxes can seem low, yet there's a fairly strong tax-hating element in this state. Maybe that's why so many roads suck here.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
San Diego (including metro area) is significantly larger than Denver (including metro area).
17. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA 3,053,793

21. Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO MSA 2,552,195

3 million vs 2.5 million is not significantly larger IMHO. Plus Denver's growth rate in the last decade was 17.11% vs 8.53% for San Diego. If those rates continue, which I see no reason to believe they will not, the Denver Metro Area will be larger then the San Diego Metro Area with in the next 25 years.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
Thank You all for some great reply's. Again, this IS a question I am still pondering so a move to Denver or it's immediate surrounding areas isn't eminent. Yes, sprawl is a factor, unfortunately with some of my requirements, I may have to put up with some of that. I grew up in a San Diego with only around a million people or less county wide. Now I think it's around 3 million or so and the only thing keeping San Diego from becoming Los Angeles is Camp Pendleton. I never thought I'd WANT to drive around so many freeways just to avoid the main arteries. I'm lucky in that I'm able to change my work hours to try and avoid the craziest times. When I travel around in my RV, I run through so many cool towns and people that I really have to ask myself "why" do I still live in San Diego when there are so many other areas of this great country to live. I've been to the east coast, traveled through the midwest, Texas, New Mexico etc. and one thing I'm not crazy about is the humidity. Lately, San Diego has become more and more humid. Why, I'm not sure. I can take the dry heat, moderate snow and cool evenings so my search for a place to live starts with these things. So for now, Denver, Boise, Colorado Springs, possibly some area in Oregon or Washington is where I think I'd feel most comfortable. If I could get through the humidity thing, then maybe Austin Texas or something North of Dallas would work too, but I do like Jeeping and the mountains so Colorado is high on my list. Yes, living closer to Moab would be cool, but then the city amenities of the Denver area would be lost.
City amenities = traffic, congestion, pollution. Not ideal places for retirement (especially if your main interests are outdoor activities, and 4WDing), in my opinion. But to each his own.

Anyways in that case Salt Lake City should probably be on your list for consideration too.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 AM

61 posts, read 164,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
City amenities = traffic, congestion, pollution. Not ideal places for retirement (especially if your main interests are outdoor activities, and 4WDing), in my opinion. But to each his own.

Anyways in that case Salt Lake City should probably be on your list for consideration too.

Been to Salt Lake several times. Haven't been impressed with it at all. North SLC isn't bad up by Ogden from what I can tell and of course to the east of SLC in Park City is just beautiful.

I'm hoping to go up to Denver sometime around the beginning of November for a few days. I'm hoping to have some good ideas of places to visit when I go.

Thanks to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver