Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:05 PM

47 posts, read 182,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
well, atleast with the extreme temps in Florida....there isn't a need to plug in a car battery? And If you've got a garage, car with A/C and work in an office, one may never even feel the temp.

And if its so hot, hop in the pool or beach LOL
I've never plugged in my car it doesn't get that cold. And when it does it is usually 50-70 a few days later.

And if it is snowing and cold, hop in the car drive to the mountains and enjoy the powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 PM

137 posts, read 400,586 times
My family and I lived in south Florida for many years. We now live just south of Denver.

- You will need lotion and lip balm.
- Altitude sickness is real. Take it slow at first and drink a lot of water.
- It takes about 4 months or so for your body to truly adjust to the higher elevations.
- Get ready to see the sun even more than Florida and remember you will burn just as fast or faster due to the altitude.
- Make sure you have good tires.
- You will not need to plug in your car along the front range.
- The dryer temps do make it more enjoyable to be outside (both in the winter and summer).
- Those ants and bugs that attack your kitchen in Florida, not here.
- Get ready to experiences some of the most diverse scenery you will ever see. Sand dunes, Mountains, Valleys, Plains, Canyons and more all in one state.

I have enjoyed living here in Colorado and I enjoyed living in south Florida. Both places are unique and special. But, I have to admit, it’s nice to walk outside and not immediately have sweet drip off your face (even in the summer). You just don't feel like the weather is zapping your body of strength.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Funny about the "polar bear" thing, but fact is fact, the Denver metro area can get it's share of snow/cold-to-freezing weather in the winter!! We lived there for 5 1/2 years and went thru two major blizzards in April 2003 and the Holiday Blizzard in Dec 2006. Also fact.......many people who move to the Denver area from Calif (south to central areas) have complained on this Forum about the snow/cold weather and have said "I've had enough of it, cann't wait 'til summer!" True, Denver metro is not the Artic, but the area is not left out when it comes to heavy snow and cold-to-freezing temps!
These snow storms and cold temps don't happen everyday, but they do happen and for some folks......too much. We loved living there 'til my hip replacement and the cold-to-freezing temps gave me a lot of aching pain. Then the rotator cuff surgery, from the fall in our driveway the day after the Holiday Blizzard ended. The aches/pains from both of the surgeries from the winter temps were just too much for us to handle.
By the way, after the 2003 blizzard, it took construction equipment (gravel/dirt pusher and dump trucks to clear the 6 ft plus snow from our apt complex. Now that is a lot of snow!! Right after the blizzard, couldn't see a car parked in the complex......completely covered with snow.
So, Florida has it's heat/humidity, but at least I don't need a Winter Parka, snow shovel or ice scrapper anymore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
The worst part for me is trying to avoid the polar bears when walking my dogs during the winter months.

Your post is very misleading especially to someone looking for honest advice. How often do these "end of the world" snow storms occur? Or the -10 degree daytime temperatures? Without having the time or the care to research statistics, I'd say not very often. I've been here over 3 years and my company has never officially closed due to snow. You make it sound like it happens every day. The coldest average temperature in Denver is right around 30 degress. Every city/state has its anomalies with weather.

We get that you had bad experiences with Denver's winters but it's unfair to paint Denver as the arctic.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Florida has it's heat/humidity, but at least I don't need a Winter Parka, snow shovel or ice scrapper anymore!!
I went to Macy's here the other day to find a nice short-sleeve button up shirt to match my new jacket, and I wanted to cry in tears right there at the mall.

All I seen was sweaters, long sleeve shirts...nothing sexy and scandalous to wear to a club.

Back in June I seen a great selection here, but it seems they have paved the way for winter clothes. I love fur clothes and all...but Im not sure I'll be able to deal with not being able to show some skin from next month until May...

Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Top photo is how deep the snow was looking from inside of our garage out at our house in Parker.......Holiday Blizzard 2006
Bottom photo is the cars buried in the parking lot of the complex we lived in in Englewood.....blizzard April 2003.
For RedSoxFanGoingWest.......pictures don't lie! No, this doesn't happen all winter long, but sure can happen and here is proof!

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 10-15-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,678 times
OK you had two blizzards since 2003, fair enough. How many hurricanes has Florida had since 2003?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I've been here over 3 years and my company has never officially closed due to snow.
I am going to (respectfully!) say that in the 30 odd years I lived in Denver, there were times when schools/companies/places *should* have been closed. Many Denverites pride themselves on how they "handle" the elements. DPS rarely closes, and there can be many fender benders or even more serious accidents when snowstorms arrive, because people refuse to stay home.
But I know that sometimes this is a tough call.
Quote:
Every city/state has its anomalies with weather.
Indeed.
Quote:
We get that you had bad experiences with Denver's winters but it's unfair to paint Denver as the arctic.
I do agree. Denver is sunny; it is most decidedly not arctic, and sometimes people have a misconception about this.
OTOH, a Floridian moving to Denver needs to be ready for a change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
OK you had two blizzards since 2003, fair enough. How many hurricanes has Florida had since 2003?
Timing is everything.

In the 5 years since leaving Denver, we have experienced 1 tropical storm.
That's it.

But you always have to be prepared, and that's what this thread is about.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 AM

For a little info, there were plenty of heavy snowstorms during the 5 1/2 years we lived there. In fact, the Eastern Plains of Colorado can definitely see major snowstorms to the point I-70 is closed down. We are sure that the Denver metro area has seen a blizzard or two and heavy snowstorms since we moved in Oct. 2007!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post

Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Yes, Denver "can" be sunny, but please don't make Denver look like Palm Springs, Calif.......not even close! The Denver metro weather can get mighty rough during the winter and spring snows and summer thunderstorms......anyone who has lived there for a few years should confirm that and if nobody will, I'll put more photos on showing it! People moving to Denver metro from Minn, Wisconsin, Mich, Ohio, Maine, NY will most likely love the "less" winter there, but there is still a winter! We moved to Denver metro from So Calif, but we were raised in northeastern Indiana (me) and the Detroit, Mich area (wife), so we already knew what living in winter snow/ice was about. Some people just want to leave the problems of So Calif and move to Denver metro and "think" they can handle/drive in the winter weather there.......some of them can get a VERY big surprise when a "white-out" snowstorm hits and/or they have to put salt on their sidewalk at home! People who lived in So Calif and snow skied in local mountains won't get nearly the surprise b/c they snow ski!
Denver metro snow can be stunningly beautiful to look at, but driving in it and shoveling it isn't nearly as fun/stunningly beautiful as just looking at it fall while inside the house looking out a window. A full moon making the snow "twinkle" is absolutely beautiful..........but, no thank you to any of it anymore!!

Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, Denver "can" be sunny, but please don't make Denver look like Palm Springs, Calif.......not even close! The Denver metro weather can get mighty rough during the winter and spring snows and summer thunderstorms......anyone who has lived there for a few years should confirm that and if nobody will, I'll put more photos on showing it! People moving to Denver metro from Minn, Wisconsin, Mich, Ohio, Maine, NY will most likely love the "less" winter there, but there is still a winter! We moved to Denver metro from So Calif, but we were raised in northeastern Indiana (me) and the Detroit, Mich area (wife), so we already knew what living in winter snow/ice was about. Some people just want to leave the problems of So Calif and move to Denver metro and "think" they can handle/drive in the winter weather there.......some of them can get a VERY big surprise when a "white-out" snowstorm hits and/or they have to put salt on their sidewalk at home! People who lived in So Calif and snow skied in local mountains won't get nearly the surprise b/c they snow ski!
Denver metro snow can be stunningly beautiful to look at, but driving in it and shoveling it isn't nearly as fun/stunningly beautiful as just looking at it fall while inside the house looking out a window. A full moon making the snow "twinkle" is absolutely beautiful..........but, no thank you to any of it anymore!!
No new pictures necessary. We get it. You hate snow and are bitter about your fall. Got it. You moved - good for you- hope you're happier there. I'm sorry you moved here believing you were getting Palm Springs. Someone misinformed you.

Yes, it's Colorado it snows. Yes, occasionally a lot and when it does it's a pain. Usually (not always) the snow melts away in a day or two. I don't know anyone who needs to plug in their car battery unless they live in the mountains. Usually (not always) it does not remain bitter cold for days on end. The cold comes and a few days later we're back to more temperate weather. We have seasons here. Some of them are more pleasant than others (depending on your preference) and you will need to adapt your wardrobe accordingly. Because the temperature does fluctuate so much you will need to get used to dressing in layers and always keeping a jacket of some kind in your car. As others have mentioned the lack of humidity and the altitude will most likely be the biggest challenges initially. Lots of water, good quality lotion and lip balm. Take some time and learn how to drive in the snow. Don't fall for what some people who move here from non-snowing places do -which is buy the biggest SUV you can afford and think you've taken care of it. That will only annoy people and cause accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver