Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
How many hurricanes has Florida had since 2003?
We had like 4 one year around that time...but they all hit pretty uninhabited areas like Ft Myers and Panama City.

Hurricanes dont scare me...most end up turning into tropical storms and knocking down a few trees.

If anything, I would be more afraid of hurricanes living in Houston or New Orleans. Thats where all the big ones go. I lived in Florida for 20+ years and never had a fender bender due to a hurricane, or shoveled piles of snow from one

But, its unfortunate because due to that...insurance is too expensive there. Yet Texas, another hurricane state...has cheaper insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
As a lot of people get older (into their mid 50 and up) they do have a hard time handling the winter months anywhere......that is why many have a second home in Florida or leave here permanently. We don't "hate" snow, but are very-to-extremely glad we don't live in it anymore. I'm not bitter about my fall, but it did scare the holy-beggees out of both of us cause of the surgery and money the fall cost us (even w/insurance). Neither of us wanted to fall and become seriously hurt or disabled! We DIDN'T move to Denver metro thinking the weather was like Palm Springs, just gave that as an example for another poster. We definitely knew what the weather was like and was looking forward to the move and, up until my fall/surgery really enjoyed living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No new pictures necessary. We get it. You hate snow and are bitter about your fall. Got it. You moved - good for you- hope you're happier there. I'm sorry you moved here believing you were getting Palm Springs. Someone misinformed you.
Yes, it's Colorado it snows. Yes, occasionally a lot and when it does it's a pain. Usually (not always) the snow melts away in a day or two. I don't know anyone who needs to plug in their car battery unless they live in the mountains. Usually (not always) it does not remain bitter cold for days on end. The cold comes and a few days later we're back to more temperate weather. We have seasons here. Some of them are more pleasant than others (depending on your preference) and you will need to adapt your wardrobe accordingly. Because the temperature does fluctuate so much you will need to get used to dressing in layers and always keeping a jacket of some kind in your car. As others have mentioned the lack of humidity and the altitude will most likely be the biggest challenges initially. Lots of water, good quality lotion and lip balm. Take some time and learn how to drive in the snow. Don't fall for what some people who move here from non-snowing places do -which is buy the biggest SUV you can afford and think you've taken care of it. That will only annoy people and cause accidents.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Top photo is how deep the snow was looking from inside of our garage out at our house in Parker.......Holiday Blizzard 2006
Bottom photo is the cars buried in the parking lot of the complex we lived in in Englewood.....blizzard April 2003.
For RedSoxFanGoingWest.......pictures don't lie! No, this doesn't happen all winter long, but sure can happen and here is proof!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
No one doubts that there are snow storms in CO. You made it sound like it we get blizzards every other Tuesday and it's -10 degrees a couple times a week from December through March.

Less drama. That's all we ask.

I've been to San Diego four times in my life; During one of those visits there was a significant earthquake. By your reasoning, I should post that San Diego has earthquakes all the time.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, it's Colorado it snows. Yes, occasionally a lot and when it does it's a pain. Usually (not always) the snow melts away in a day or two. I don't know anyone who needs to plug in their car battery unless they live in the mountains. Usually (not always) it does not remain bitter cold for days on end. The cold comes and a few days later we're back to more temperate weather. We have seasons here. Some of them are more pleasant than others (depending on your preference) and you will need to adapt your wardrobe accordingly. Because the temperature does fluctuate so much you will need to get used to dressing in layers and always keeping a jacket of some kind in your car.
I love snow. I moved here for the skiing, but last winter (our first here) did not seem to fit into the pattern of occasional snow followed by 70 degree weather I keep hearing about. Our north facing front yard had snow on it continuously from october through the end of april. this was not an issue for me, but for those from florida it may be a bit of a shocker. my biggest complaint about weather in denver is that the days are too hot during the summer and the nights are freezing in the winter. there are rarely times when you can be comfortable outside for any given 24 hour period.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM

NO, we do not make it sound "that" bad, but for folks from Florida or So Calif. it sure could be "that" bad! You are taking what we are saying somewhat overboard! Even the folks we talked to when we first arrived in Denver (June 2002) made Denver metro area winter weather look fairly mild......of which we found out pretty differently the first winter we were there. Want "mild" winter weather, Charlotte, NC has that! They get 2 inches of snow there and the entire city pretty much closes down!
"Less drama"??????? We aren't expressing any "drama", only facts and the photos prove that! Way to many people tell in Denver metro tell potiential movers to Denver that winters in Denver are not that bad, compared to Indiana, Michigan and other states. Fact is, I grew up in Indiana and wife in Michigan and we found out very fast that Denver winters can be just as brutal as Indiana and Michigan! Remember, I just said "can be", didn't say the word "always"!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
No one doubts that there are snow storms in CO. You made it sound like it we get blizzards every other Tuesday and it's -10 degrees a couple times a week from December through March.

Less drama. That's all we ask.

I've been to San Diego four times in my life; During one of those visits there was a significant earthquake. By your reasoning, I should post that San Diego has earthquakes all the time.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
NO, we do not make it sound "that" bad, but for folks from Florida or So Calif. it sure could be "that" bad! You are taking what we are saying somewhat overboard! Even the folks we talked to when we first arrived in Denver (June 2002) made Denver metro area winter weather look fairly mild......of which we found out pretty differently the first winter we were there. Want "mild" winter weather, Charlotte, NC has that! They get 2 inches of snow there and the entire city pretty much closes down!
"Less drama"??????? We aren't expressing any "drama", only facts and the photos prove that! Way to many people tell in Denver metro tell potiential movers to Denver that winters in Denver are not that bad, compared to Indiana, Michigan and other states. Fact is, I grew up in Indiana and wife in Michigan and we found out very fast that Denver winters can be just as brutal as Indiana and Michigan! Remember, I just said "can be", didn't say the word "always"!!!!!!!
Why no pictures of the 60+ degree days in January? Instead, you post pictures of 2 of the worst storms in the last 10+ years.

Denver winters are no way near as bad as winters in the midwest.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I love snow. I moved here for the skiing, but last winter (our first here) did not seem to fit into the pattern of occasional snow followed by 70 degree weather I keep hearing about. Our north facing front yard had snow on it continuously from october through the end of april. this was not an issue for me, but for those from florida it may be a bit of a shocker. my biggest complaint about weather in denver is that the days are too hot during the summer and the nights are freezing in the winter. there are rarely times when you can be comfortable outside for any given 24 hour period.
If by comfortable you mean shorts and a short sleeved shirt - rarely going to happen. 70 deg is not normal winter weather. Don't know where you heard that. Average temps in the winter are 20-45 (note I said average). Not balmy but hardly arctic. The days are usually sunny and there are times in the winter when you will not require a heavy winter coat. The temperature will drop significantly once the sun sets - in any season. Plan on it snowing and since we have not figured out yet how to make snow not fall on roads and sidewalks you will have to shovel, salt, wear appropriate shoes, have good tires and walk and drive carefully when the surfaces have snow or ice. This is not California. It is not Florida. It is not Texas or Arizona. If you move here expecting that weather, you will surely be disappointed.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-18-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Listen, we wore winter parka's, shoveled snow, used an ice scrapper and drove thru "white out" conditions........exactly like we did in Indiana and Michigan! During our first Halloween, there was a snowstorm. I remember taking my wife to work and it was snowing like mad! The entire time I lived in Indiana, I never seen snow on Halloween! It was cold, but definitely no snow. And, not uncommon to have snow in Denver in April. Old saying in Indiana is "April showers bring May flowers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Why no pictures of the 60+ degree days in January? Instead, you post pictures of 2 of the worst storms in the last 10+ years.

Denver winters are no way near as bad as winters in the midwest.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Ok, here is a shot of Denver from Bronco Stadium, taken in Dec 2002......not a patch of snow showing! Happy now?!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM

137 posts, read 400,377 times
The Denver area does get its share of snow and colder days. But, here are some comparisons on average daily high temps in January (coldest month of the year) from weather.com.

Denver - January average high: 47 degrees
Louisville, KY - January average high: 41 degrees
Nashville, TN - January average high: 46 degrees
Richmond, VA - January average high: 45 degrees

More northern cities:

St. Louis - January average high: 38 degrees
Washington DC - January average high: 42 degrees
Cincinnati, OH - January average high: 38 degrees

Due to the altitude and colder nights Denver gets more snow. But, due to the altitude and abundance of sun, during the day, the average day time high is warmer than places like Nashville, TN in the winter.

Denver is not south Florida for winter warmth, but it does compare to many northern-southern cities like Memphis, Nashville, Raleigh, etc.

Last edited by ragerunner1; 10-19-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver