Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM

156 posts, read 326,124 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate everyones insight! So from the looks of it the main things I will miss from WNY is the green landscape (when we have that) and the water scenery. I am capable of living with rivers and streams. I will miss the vast amount of lakes but can't get everything you want.

Zenkonami. I really appreciate the detailed list you gave! I know the Colorado Department of Corrections is constantly hiring (Prisons are not where I want to spend my whole career but at least it would be experience to help me transfer within different departments).

Actually, some positives I have going for me are the following:

Many of my restaurant employers lived in Denver recently and many have said they can contact restaurants back in the area and possibly line me up for some type of work (Once again, thats a last option but at least it is something).

Add on top of that, I took a conditional job offer with TSA stationed in Colorado Springs. I still have to attend the interview and pass medical/physical examinations but at least it is something!

Also, I am eligible to test with the Aurora and Fort Collins PD (havent seen any other departments hiring lately).

So there are potential opportunities for me and thats always a positive sign in this economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM

726 posts, read 2,149,661 times
Congrats! I hope you get to make the move. We moved here from WNY almost 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Your interests seem similar to what ours are. You willl love the microbreweries, sports, nightlife, friendliness and general happiness of the people. I too wondered how I would feel leaving the Great Lakes but I actually have participated in more water activities here than in WNY. I kayak more, swim, raft, etc. I actually enjoy the smaller lakes, reservoirs, they can be quite peaceful and scenic.The weather is way better here, milder and way more sunshine. As far as food goes, there is a larger variety of cuisine than in WNY. It will be hard to find good pizza but the Mexican food makes up for it.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,634,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Congrats! I hope you get to make the move. We moved here from WNY almost 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. Your interests seem similar to what ours are. You willl love the microbreweries, sports, nightlife, friendliness and general happiness of the people. I too wondered how I would feel leaving the Great Lakes but I actually have participated in more water activities here than in WNY. I kayak more, swim, raft, etc. I actually enjoy the smaller lakes, reservoirs, they can be quite peaceful and scenic.The weather is way better here, milder and way more sunshine. As far as food goes, there is a larger variety of cuisine than in WNY. It will be hard to find good pizza but the Mexican food makes up for it.
There are a ton of good pizza joints here. You just need to know where to look. Try Parry's in Englewood on Lincoln Ave.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
I grew up in Lockport NY, and lived in Binghamton for 10 years until moving to Denver 5 weeks ago. Denver is amazing. Went to the Sabre/Avs game this week and 1/3 of the crowd had Buffalo jerseys, it was great. It's dry and it's very sunny. The weather is perfect.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 326,124 times
Thanks everyone! I have testing with the Fort Collins PD next month which I will be attending.. Hopefully I can land that job which will make this move a lot easier

Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,222,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
There are a ton of good pizza joints here. You just need to know where to look. Try Parry's in Englewood on Lincoln Ave.
And <cough> BeauJo's.

Sorry guys. I really am a fan.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM

26 posts, read 70,260 times
Regarding the sunshine, look at these two pages:

Colorado Climate Center - Questions and Answers
Weather Today - Weather Forecasts, Radar, Maps for 1000s of US and World Cities

Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
Hi, im from erie pa and moving to denver end of the month, recently single and ready for change of scenery, planned on doing it alone but wouldnt mind someone to split bills with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver