Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM

26,307 posts, read 49,245,631 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the concept....after decades of pouring agricultural chemicals on the land, it mixes with radioactive fallout from the Japanese nuclear disaster and voila, Prairie Dogs 100 foot high...whole raving flocks of them... they rampage their way across the plains, trashing DIA before they destroy a path through Denver and on up into the high country where they devastate the homes of the super wealthy in Aspen and eat drunken frat boys from Boulder who are up their shredding powder with their snowboards.

Academy Award / Golden Globe kinda stuff, eh?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM

785 posts, read 1,887,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, here's the concept....after decades of pouring agricultural chemicals on the land, it mixes with radioactive fallout from the Japanese nuclear disaster and voila, Prairie Dogs 100 foot high...whole raving flocks of them... they rampage their way across the plains, trashing DIA before they destroy a path through Denver and on up into the high country where they devastate the homes of the super wealthy in Aspen and eat drunken frat boys from Boulder who are up their shredding powder with their snowboards.

But that doesn't start in the Flatirons does it. Sounds good for this kinda movie if fleshed out, 4/5 stars.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,054,930 times
Not that I'm complaining about the OPs plans, he can write whatever he wishes. I just wish that someone would feature Denver on film for the cool city that it is. In most cities it is either getting laid to waste or already has. Like Battlefield Earth and I seem to recall some train movie where Denver gets blasted by some dirty bomb, or something like that.

Denver often draws comparisons to Seattle on these pages. It's very much like a "landlocked" Seattle. I think Seattle greatly benefitted from shows like Frazier and movies that have been set there which showcase the city as fun, trendy, etc... Denver is a great city on its own and could easily be set as the location for a Frazier-type sit-com, or show about young professionals, or movie, or whatever. I think the city's reputation would really receive a boost from something like that.

I know this is a little off topic, but it does involve film and writing, so I'm still in the ball park, at least.

What say you guys?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,887,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Not that I'm complaining about the OPs plans, he can write whatever he wishes. I just wish that someone would feature Denver on film for the cool city that it is. In most cities it is either getting laid to waste or already has. Like Battlefield Earth and I seem to recall some train movie where Denver gets blasted by some dirty bomb, or something like that.

Denver often draws comparisons to Seattle on these pages. It's very much like a "landlocked" Seattle. I think Seattle greatly benefitted from shows like Frazier and movies that have been set there which showcase the city as fun, trendy, etc... Denver is a great city on its own and could easily be set as the location for a Frazier-type sit-com, or show about young professionals, or movie, or whatever. I think the city's reputation would really receive a boost from something like that.

I know this is a little off topic, but it does involve film and writing, so I'm still in the ball park, at least.

What say you guys?
Dynasty was set in Denver. Did it receive a boost from that?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,227,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

What say you guys?
It certainly would be nice to see Denver in a good light in fictional media, but I think it would have to be some quirky comedy (we are, when you break it down, kind of a low key, quirky bunch when you get down to it.) Probably some kind of "urban" Northern Exposure...or at least as urban as that ever could have been, which would suit Denver pretty well.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Well if you're going that route, it HAS to start in Greeley, doesn't it? I mean, doesn't it?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
The ESB and Statue of Liberty get the crap kicked out of them daily, I think all if fair game. As for DIA, it surely is a wonderful building and I would love to see it in a movie, but in order to have it, you'd have to have some really crappy plot device which causes the monster to cross 17 miles of suburban areas, which wouldn't be all that interesting. Though, movies jump from place to place all the time, so you could just skip the bit in between and it would be par for the course.
Well, they could be monsters with spaceships...that would save them a few minutes, though the trek over Westminster and Thornton would be a bit bland, even for one scene

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

26,307 posts, read 49,245,631 times
Quote:
Okay, here's the concept....after decades of pouring agricultural chemicals on the land, it mixes with radioactive fallout from the Japanese nuclear disaster and voila, Prairie Dogs 100 foot high...whole raving flocks of them... they rampage their way across the plains, trashing DIA before they destroy a path through Denver and on up into the high country where they devastate the homes of the super wealthy in Aspen and eat drunken frat boys from Boulder who are up their shredding powder with their snowboards. Academy Award / Golden Globe kinda stuff, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
But that doesn't start in the Flatirons does it. Sounds good for this kinda movie if fleshed out, 4/5 stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Well if you're going that route, it HAS to start in Greeley, doesn't it? I mean, doesn't it?
Okay, the 100-foot prairie dogs come in off the plains, crush DIA, devour the meat packing plant in Greeley, head west to trash Boulder and dig up the Flatirons then lay waste to the route 36 corridor and downtown Denver and finally proceed out the I-70 "sacrifice zone" to wreak havoc among the high country mansions.....until a mass assault by Army attack helicopters from Fort Carson kills them with anti-tank missiles. HU-AH!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-17-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,289,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter View Post
3. I'm looking for a unique, but busy location/area/park of Denver. There's a scene where one character must hunt someone who doesn't belong in an area crowded with people. He doesn't know what the person looks like. He can only sense them. So he wanders through the crowd searching. I'm trying to avoid the obvious of Parks/Malls/Stadiums etc etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
That's easy: Mile High Flea Market.

Seriously, if not a park, mall or stadium, what's left that is ever "crowded" with people? Maybe the Cherry Creek Sneak? Taste of Colorado? Cherry Creek Arts Festival?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,144,795 times
Quote:
So here's one of the odder questions for you knowledgable Denver-ites (Note: research to make sure Denverite is a word)....
We are, in fact, called Denverites, and people from Colorado are Coloradans (not Coloradoans, as some would argue).

Quote:
I'm looking at having at least 3 set-pieces that take place in different sections of the city. So first of all I'm looking for-

1. Busiest Downtown Intersection. The sort of place where avenues of skyscrapers branch of in different directions. Where someone, say with the power to crumble buildings, could stand at this crossroads and reduce a section of the city to dust. I'm hoping for somewhere that branches off in 5 or 6 roads so that his power can be seen flying off in all directions.
The intersection of Broadway, 17th Ave, 17th St. and Court Place would work.

Quote:
Next, I'm looking for-

2. Cool looking areas. Little oddities. Landmarks. Unique buildings. Neo-futuristic buildings. I want places that could be a great situation for an action sequence. And also a chase sequence (on foot). Kind of like Men in Black used the Guggenhiem in New York for Will chasing the Perp, I want to use the well known landmarks of Denver as a basis for action. If the landmarks can literally be used in someway then all the better (ie. I like the look of the Civic Center Park).
The area around Civic Center Park would be perfect. Bordering the park is the Art Museum, the Library, the Capitol, and the City and County building. There is an obelisk monument, and a sculpture of a horse on a chair. Nearby is the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. Maybe the chase could go to the observation deck just below the dome of the capitol.

Quote:
And Finally-

3. I'm looking for a unique, but busy location/area/park of Denver. There's a scene where one character must hunt someone who doesn't belong in an area crowded with people. He doesn't know what the person looks like. He can only sense them. So he wanders through the crowd searching. I'm trying to avoid the obvious of Parks/Malls/Stadiums etc etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
The 16th street mall is an outdoor pedestrian mall that would work, as would Larimer Square, and even the Denver Center for Performing Arts gallery area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver