Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM

345 posts, read 914,214 times

Advertisements

I did say there are some tree lined streets in Denver, just not like what he is use too. There is one street in an older established neighborhood, the name escapes me, it has a good amount of trees. Mostly Cottonwoods of course but it is still pretty and I like to drive down it because it is green and I miss that
I do hate Cottonwoods, there root system is awful and so wide spread it is invasive and even the "cottonless" ones still blow cotton. I wish there was soemthing else they would plant.

Now I did not say that is what I think of people from Cali, that is the complaints you hear the most.
Now anyone coming from any area that does not get snow, buys an SUV or any 4 wheel drive and thinks their first Winter is going to be fine cause after all they have 4 wheel drive, is a menace on the road.

How do you know in that video they are not Cali drivers? You guys get rid of your plates pretty quick lol ------> Kidding!!
Good video on Winter stupidity, I like how some of the cars parked themselves. I am glad I have anti-lock brakes, I have been sliding at times and they do work, not sure about on a hill like that though. I say my share of curse words so it did not offend me

ETA: I just read your latest post PTmike and I do like the DC/VA area, very pretty the people in VA are super nice and the weather is milder then here. I have been there twice last year seeing about relocating there. The area I want to live in is not that "farm friendly" so I have expanded my search. I hate DC traffic but if you want to live in the actual city they have pretty good public transportation. If you plan on living outside the city then a town in VA would be better especially if you can take back roads and avoid 95 during rush hour. Also in VA they honk at you less then they do in DC. Their cost of living was pretty equal to here and less the farther away you got from DC. Lots of trees, lots to do and VA gets lots less snow then we do. More buggy and humid though. But you can drive up there and look around, it is not that horribly far.

Last edited by gmm_24; 05-22-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,475 times
Hello, PeachtreeCornersMike. Have you tried looking at the area on GoogleMaps, to see what the landscape is like, and to determine whether it might appeal to you?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 PM

115 posts, read 230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post

ETA: I just read your latest post PTmike and I do like the DC/VA area, very pretty the people in VA are super nice and the weather is milder then here. I have been there twice last year seeing about relocating there. The area I want to live in is not that "farm friendly" so I have expanded my search. I hate DC traffic but if you want to live in the actual city they have pretty good public transportation. If you plan on living outside the city then a town in VA would be better especially if you can take back roads and avoid 95 during rush hour. Also in VA they honk at you less then they do in DC. Their cost of living was pretty equal to here and less the farther away you got from DC. Lots of trees, lots to do and VA gets lots less snow then we do. More buggy and humid though. But you can drive up there and look around, it is not that horribly far.
Would Arlington be in this area? I have heard good things about Arlington.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
Hello, PeachtreeCornersMike. Have you tried looking at the area on GoogleMaps, to see what the landscape is like, and to determine whether it might appeal to you?
Yes, I looked at Colfax Ave. on google maps. It seemed very flat and barren.

But mostly, I am thinking that the girls in Denver are not what I thought they would be. This of course is based on photos from bars, but everyone seemed to be very dressed-down and homely. Girls are a major consideration for me since I will only be in the city for a year.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
everyone seemed to be very dressed-down and homely

Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
everyone seemed to be very dressed-down and homely. .
Then you should be able to find a date with no problem, being the stud that you are.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
They are not homely

But I do agree with the dressed down, this is a very casual state.
In NY you really dress up for weddings and such, here I have seen people arrive in shorts and flip flops; so I was overdressed. While I do not wear shorts to wedding I do not dress up as much. Neither do people going to court ( I have never received a speeding ticket that is my story and I am sticking to it!) and etc. It saves money

So I do like that not many care about what you are wearing and who the designer is etc. I disike materialistic views of some people on either coast.

Arlington is in the trafficy area. My cousin lives not far from there and he likes it. I passed through it on my way further South.

Where ever you land a visit first is the best thing. Talk to people, do not just go to the tourist places since it does not give you a feel for the place. I like to go to grocery stores and price things, drive thru neighborhoods and I find the most helpful people to talk to are the police, fireman and wait people. Fireman told me a place I was looking for in VA was NOT a good place to live and they sited why, I thanked them and turned around

Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
They are not homely

In NY you really dress up for weddings and such, here I have seen people arrive in shorts and flip flops; so I was overdressed. While I do not wear shorts to wedding I do not dress up as much. Neither do people going to court ( I have never received a speeding ticket that is my story and I am sticking to it!) and etc. It saves money

So I do like that not many care about what you are wearing and who the designer is etc. I disike materialistic views of some people on either coast.

Arlington is in the trafficy area. My cousin lives not far from there and he likes it. I passed through it on my way further South.

Where ever you land a visit first is the best thing. Talk to people, do not just go to the tourist places since it does not give you a feel for the place. I like to go to grocery stores and price things, drive thru neighborhoods and I find the most helpful people to talk to are the police, fireman and wait people. Fireman told me a place I was looking for in VA was NOT a good place to live and they sited why, I thanked them and turned around

I had the OP pegged from the first post.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Are you just looking for a place to bum around for a year or are you looking to find a job as a lawyer in Denver? Denver is good for a major city that has some kind of work-life balance, but if you're just looking to blow off steam there could be places that would be more fun to live for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
-Will it hold me back (socially) that I don't know how to ski/snowboard and I am not that big on camping?
I personally love skiing, went up 20 times this season, but the vast majority of people in Denver NEVER ski and rarely even go to the mountains. And the percentage of the population that goes camping is a fraction of even the amount that goes skiing. I guess it all depends which social circles you hang out in.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
They are not homely
I meant homely really to describe the appearance, not physical characteristics. They don't seem to wear a lot of make-up, more natural hair (here all the girls have highlights), etc.

Quote:
I think I could get used to that type of culture. I guess on the east coast people look forward to dressing up, but when it comes down to it, it's a hassle, and like you said, expensive. From what I saw on metromix (which I know isn't the be-all end-all) it seemed like most people were in t-shirts.

Quote:
Thanks very much, this is good advice. Of course I was planning to visit, but I actually had thought about what I would do during the visit. This was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver