Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM

115 posts, read 230,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Then you should be able to find a date with no problem, being the stud that you are.
Confidence has that effect.

I am even confident enough to include my face in my profile pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Are you just looking for a place to bum around for a year or are you looking to find a job as a lawyer in Denver? Denver is good for a major city that has some kind of work-life balance, but if you're just looking to blow off steam there could be places that would be more fun to live for a year.
I am really looking more to bum. It would be nice to actually work as a lawyer, but then I would have to pass the bar up there. I am really just looking for a fun city. You don't think Denver would be good for that?

Quote:
I personally love skiing, went up 20 times this season, but the vast majority of people in Denver NEVER ski and rarely even go to the mountains. And the percentage of the population that goes camping is a fraction of even the amount that goes skiing. I guess it all depends which social circles you hang out in.
That's very interesting. For some reason I had thought that skiing was the reason many people moved to Denver in the first place. Of course it all depends on the circle you run with, but you think as a whole skiing isn't that big? That makes me feel better since I don't ski (although I would like to learn).

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Recent Data I saw for male/female population is Males are a lil over 50% of the population and Females a little over 49%... Not sure how up to date that statistic is (I believe it was 2010 but I may be mistaken)... Nor do I know what percentage of females that are in your age category.
That's true, but the male-female ratios are not significantly different in Denver compared to other cities in the western US. Most cities on the east coast however have a majority female population. Within Denver, the urban hipster neighborhoods-- especially Capitol Hill-- are extremely skewed towards a male dominated population. When you get into the suburbs the numbers get more even and there are places that are majority female. You can look all this up on the US Census factfinder website.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I had the OP pegged from the first post.
Are all the girls in Denver as cheerful as you?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
That's true, but the male-female ratios are not significantly different in Denver compared to other cities in the western US. Most cities on the east coast however have a majority female population. Within Denver, the urban hipster neighborhoods-- especially Capitol Hill-- are extremely skewed towards a male dominated population. When you get into the suburbs the numbers get more even and there are places that are majority female. You can look all this up on the US Census factfinder website.
What about the non-hipster urban neighborhoods, like LoDo?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
I am really looking more to bum. It would be nice to actually work as a lawyer, but then I would have to pass the bar up there. I am really just looking for a fun city. You don't think Denver would be good for that?

That's very interesting. For some reason I had thought that skiing was the reason many people moved to Denver in the first place. Of course it all depends on the circle you run with, but you think as a whole skiing isn't that big? That makes me feel better since I don't ski (although I would like to learn).
People move to Denver for all kinds of reasons-- jobs, family, housing, lifestyle factors, just like anywhere else. And even though there is a huge percentage of the population that is from somewhere else, this isn't a place like Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Reno where everybody is from somewhere else-- most of the young people here grew up in this area and stayed.

Not saying you can't have a lot of fun in Denver-- I just think the urban "scene" here is a tad overhyped.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
Confidence has that effect.

I am even confident enough to include my face in my profile pic.

Just because your mother thinks you're handsome, doesn't mean other people do.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Just because your mother thinks you're handsome, doesn't mean other people do.
Haters gonna hate...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
I thought you said you were out of high school.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
I'm kind of confused why the OP has attracted so much negativity -- normally I've found that the Denver forum is one of the most polite on city-data, but this thread hasn't turned out to be that way.

To the OP: You definitely should visit here. Denver is not only very different from Atlanta, it's actually pretty different from most of the other cities on your list. Most of the criticisms of Denver are true: lopsided female/male ratio, brown/arid landscape, schitzophrenic weather. As others have said, Denver is neither a nightlife hotspot nor a particularly great city for careers compared to the big cities of the country, but being a large metro it's not bad in either category. The redeeming factor for many of us is proximity to the Rockies, of course. I personally love the casual dress and emphasis on work-life balance in Denver, but that's up to the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver