Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM

57 posts, read 169,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by horace29 View Post
HAHA! Apparently I missed the boat on the "California mentality". In my contrary opinion, I would describe Californians as obsessed with the appearance of differentiating their own mentalities and behaviors as being superior, more "open-minded", more caring of social issues, and more arrogant about those perceived differences. On all counts the OP fits the bill of being a Californian. Simply by making the broad "I'm better than you" statement that you see people's mentality to be self-absorbed, airy, lack of caring for anything except themselves I think proves this point.

If they are not supposed to care about themselves, then out of curiosity, who the heck are they supposed to care about?? You? I imagine so. I'm sure you are interesting enough in your own mind that you believe this to be the case.

Maybe you should start caring a little bit more about yourself and less about how other people behave and how you can denigrate that behavior. Otherwise, you'll probably just go out and push for ridiculous laws to regulate other people so that you can make Colorado more like California... which apparently you for some reason dislike so much.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
True! Compared to the Northeast, the people in Denver are very friendly.
Yeah but the thing about people from the northeast; and this does not include everyone but many of the people I have met as a consequence of living in Florida for over 20 years, are a lot more open and real than people out here.

I want to know, what's your definition of friendly? Because I think most people have friendly and common courtesy mixed up. I don't find Denver to be at all 'friendly' by any stretch of the imagination. Because if it was I would have had a 'friend' by now after all these 8 months that I been here.

People here are friendly to who they want to be friendly with. Cliquey, as I would call it. Whereas in the northeast, they make friends with anyone regardless of whether they are Black, White, Hispanic, Asian. Even if the race happens to differ from their own.

Just because someone smiles and says hi to you at the store does not make them friendly. Just means they are using common courtesy and vice versa. It could even mean they are being fake. Artifical. Plastic. As in; putting on a front which I find people out here are very good at. We're talking about the long haul here.

OK, you just said hi to me at the store or you making all this conversation with me out in public, but what about taking it further than that? Are you going to treat me, the same way you are doing now once you get around your friends or are you going to turn your back and act like you don't know me? New Yorkers don't smile and say hi to strangers but they will make a way more loyal friend than any of these fake mid-western, Colorado people any day.

Don't ever call someone who's putting on a front friendly. Because that's the last thing that's on their mind is being your friend.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 06-11-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Hey! I don't want to veer too far off topic, but I was surprised that you moved to the suburbs. I feel like you might be happier in Denver itself, in one of the neighborhoods closer to downtown, based on your interests and what you've said on the forum.

Glad that you like the people here, and good luck finding your niche!
I understand your point. Don't want to bogart the post, but I wanted a change. I'm liking the suburbs & sleeping better than I ever have because it's so quiet... experiencing another way of life has been very restful. Actually, I had no idea how sleep deprived I was all these years... this is nice! Next move, yes, there's more for me in the city... so that's probably where I'll go... who knows?

CO is cool... I like the people very much. But, I'm lucky & search out the good in anything. As I said, I find Californians lovely people, as well, contrary to what others have experienced.

Have fun...

Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
A lot of people moved to Denver from California over the past few years. Maybe a lot of them moved to Parker?

I don't know what else to say, really. I think you can find people like this anywhere.
I agree with this. People from Orange County seem to like Douglas County especially, from my (admittedly limited) observations.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
To the OP I'm sorry you feel this way...but Parker tends to have people that try to "keep up with the Jones" so to speak-you will find snobbiness everywhere. I noticed people keep saying how friendly Floridians are..NO THEY AREN"T-I work in S. Tampa the Parker of Florida..and you would think I live in Hollywood-get you nose out of the air you live in Tampa.
I lived in the burbs and I always enjoyed my time-not everyone in Colorado is snobby-

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
We have lived in California for 3 years(just been back) and after being here for 1 year (we live in Parker CO) – we consider people’s mentality as a whole in these two states to be very similar. It is the same self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me, me - we feel a lot of times (To clarify, it is not all people that are like this, but neither is it in CA, but it is enough to be a trend). From talking with a lot of other people - we are definitely not alone with our opinion - we get that it has not always been like this, but it is getting worse by the minute. There are a lot of good things to say about Colorado - it is pretty obvious, but this is one opinion we never heard before we moved here and we want to let people know what we think about living here when they consider moving here. We do not intend to pi.. off people we just want to help others make a informed decision.
Complete and utter rubbish on all counts.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Honestly? I think people are people throughout - largely the same. Cities are going to be less friendly just because the people you see every day aren't always the same - in a small town you have a vested interest in being friendly because if you're not, it can come back to haunt you. Not so much in a big city. I always look at polls about "friendliest city" or whatever with a jaundiced eye. Philly ranked low on one of those polls - and a week after reading about it, I was walking down the street checking a map, and a car full of young people came to a halt next to me and asked if I needed help finding something. I really believe it just depends on what crowd you fall in with.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I always look at polls about "friendliest city" or whatever with a jaundiced eye. .... I really believe it just depends on what crowd you fall in with.
YES.
Thing is, I think Denver itself is becoming more crowded, but it's very true that the group of people you find yourself in might have an effect on your perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I noticed people keep saying how friendly Floridians are..NO THEY AREN"T-I work in S. Tampa the Parker of Florida..and you would think I live in Hollywood-get you nose out of the air you live in Tampa.
I lived in the burbs and I always enjoyed my time-not everyone in Colorado is snobby-
And not everyone in Florida is snobby.

No doubt there are snobs in my little northeast FL town but I do not regularly run into them.

Some people are simply not happy unless everything and everybody can be safely categorized, but in my experience, for every "rule" there is bound to be an exception.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:29 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
YES.
Thing is, I think Denver itself is becoming more crowded, but it's very true that the group of people you find yourself in might have an effect on your perspective.

And not everyone in Florida is snobby.

No doubt there are snobs in my little northeast FL town but I do not regularly run into them.

Some people are simply not happy unless everything and everybody can be safely categorized, but in my experience, for every "rule" there is bound to be an exception.

Do you live in South Tampa? Well I work here and you have no idea how snobby 99% of people are...if they live in South Tampa they believe somehow they are "better" than everyone else...again I didn't say everyone I said 99%

Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM

120 posts, read 383,286 times
Quote:
....we consider people’s mentality as a whole in these two states to be very similar. It is the same self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me, me - we feel a lot of times (To clarify, it is not all people that are like this, but neither is it in CA, but it is enough to be a trend).
Quote:
...People in Boston will be unpleasant towards people that seem weak - if they feel you are slow and are an inconvenience to them - you will know it - no tolerance.
Quote:
....Don't move to Denver area for down to earth and laid-back people:-).
Quote:
Coloradogirl1: We moved to the Boston area 1.5 years ago and we regret moving here – and we cannot wait for the economy to become better – we will be out of here.
Quote:
In what areas around Boston do you find the least and most self obsessed drivers on the road? I have experienced that drivers on I-93 south and the Mass pike tend to be more pushy and impatient (tailgating and weaving in and out of the lanes) than drivers north of Boston on for example I-93north.
It sounds like you need a beer. Actually you sound more like a single malt scotch type. Maybe you don't drink. Perhaps introducing some meditation into your daily life will do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver