Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 23,981 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle (with sidecar) to visit Denver but can't leave until October 1. I'd like to take my time and makes some stops along the way so would probably roll into town the following weekend (Oct 8). I'd like to stay at least two weeks and then head west to Carson City, NV.

I have plenty of cold weather gear but am concerned about snow. The rig is pretty stable with the sidecar but is not really setup for deep snow on the roads (no snow tire).

I'm bringing one of my dogs with me too and want to make sure he doesn't get too cold. The sidecar has a top and side windows but not insulation.

Should I be worried about snow fall in mid October? How about the mountain passes (Eisenhower)?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
When does it start getting cold/snow?-img_0070.jpg   When does it start getting cold/snow?-img_0073.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Our earliest ever snow in town was Sept. 13th. That will not happen this year. It's hard to predict the weather out here but you should be fine with snow that early. The ski areas up there usually start making snow around that time but big, heavy snows that early are rare but not completely unheard of.

All in all, unless there's an act of God, I think you'll be fine.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Our earliest ever snow in town was Sept. 13th. That will not happen this year. It's hard to predict the weather out here but you should be fine with snow that early. The ski areas up there usually start making snow around that time but big, heavy snows that early are rare but not completely unheard of.

All in all, unless there's an act of God, I think you'll be fine.
That is incorrect. Denver had 6"+ of wet snow on Labor Day weekend in 1961 (officially it was 4.2" at Stapleton Airport, but numerous areas in south and west Denver had more). I know--I was there. I've also had to chain up towing a gooseneck trailer on Rabbit Ears pass in mid-September (with Gore Pass and Rabbit Ears closed that night due to blizzarding), seen several inches of sloppy snow in Leadville on Colorado Day (August 1st). Last year, I saw several inches of fresh snow on the peaks surrounding Creede with snow on the grass on nearby Slumgullion Pass--in mid-July! In short, heavy enough snows to screw up mountain travel are possible from Labor Day on in the mountains and September snowfall even in the lower elevations does happen occasionally. Anyone who says otherwise has likely not lived in Colorado for very long.

Last edited by jazzlover; 08-30-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork29 View Post
I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle (with sidecar) to visit Denver but can't leave until October 1. I'd like to take my time and makes some stops along the way so would probably roll into town the following weekend (Oct 8). I'd like to stay at least two weeks and then head west to Carson City, NV.

I have plenty of cold weather gear but am concerned about snow. The rig is pretty stable with the sidecar but is not really setup for deep snow on the roads (no snow tire).

I'm bringing one of my dogs with me too and want to make sure he doesn't get too cold. The sidecar has a top and side windows but not insulation.

Should I be worried about snow fall in mid October? How about the mountain passes (Eisenhower)?

Thanks.
That should be a great time of year for your trip. If for some reason there are weather issues in the Colorado mountains (which is not really very likely), you could always detour South. Take a route through Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, to Carson City. Again that probably wont be necessary, but the later in October it gets, the chances would increase.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Some data to help

Data

Denver - Denver Snowfall Statistics 1882-2010

Vail - Monthly Total Snowfall, VAIL, COLORADO

Breckenridge - Monthly Total Snowfall, BRECKENRIDGE, COLORADO

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That is incorrect. Denver had 6"+ of wet snow on Labor Day weekend in 1961. I know--I was there. I've also had to chain up towing a gooseneck trailer on Rabbit Ears pass in mid-September (with Gore Pass and Rabbit Ears closed that night due to blizzarding), seen several inches of sloppy snow in Leadville on Colorado Day (August 1st). Last year, I saw several inches of fresh snow on the peaks surrounding Creede with snow on the grass on nearby Slumgullion Pass--in mid-July! In short, heavy enough snows to screw up mountain travel are possible from Labor Day on in the mountains and September snowfall even in the lower elevations does happen occasionally. Anyone who says otherwise has likely not lived in Colorado for very long.
LOL...Like I said...It can happen but it's rare. You really got me on that first snow date! Thanks for expanding on my school of thought.

EDIT: Check out this link for some info on early/late freezes and snows: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/awebphp/snowstat.php

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
We had a few inches of snow on the summit of Pikes Peak in mid August. Melted quickly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That is incorrect. Denver had 6"+ of wet snow on Labor Day weekend in 1961
I'm sure that won't be happening anytime soon with global warming and all the heat rising from Denver...

Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I'm sure that won't be happening anytime soon with global warming and all the heat rising from Denver...
Actually, global warming can result in MORE snow, believe it or not. Kind of why Jersey has had such crazy winters lately. The temperatures have been fairly warm, but the snow has been INSANE. Several storms where we got more than 12 inches. Not sure what it's been like here though.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
October will be tricky. It's also completely unpredictable this far in advance. Denver's first snowfall actually occurred on September 3, 1961. The earliest freeze (32 degrees) was almost exactly one year later on September 8, 1962. The average first snowfall in Denver is not until October 19, but you can never base a year's forecast on ANYTHING. Not to mention, that's just for Denver. The mountains can easily begin seeing their first heavy snowfalls in September.

If you were coming out in September, I would say go for it. The earlier, the better. However, I would be wary in October. You could have beautiful weather in the 70s, but you could also run into a storm like the blizzard that smacked Denver on October 25, 1997 (21.9"). It stranded motorists all up and down I-25 and all other interstates around Denver during the evening rush hour - requiring hundreds of rescues - and killed thousands of farm animals east of Denver. I'm only 30 and it is, by far, the most ferocious blizzard I can remember. We've had much larger snowfalls since then, but that storm was something else, especially considering it occurred in October.

Either way, if your plans bring you here on your motorcycle in October, just be vigilant about weather forecasts and be sure to remember that the forecasts in Colorado can change completely from one day to the next - i.e. if you are two days out and the forecast calls for sun and 70s, don't assume the forecast will hold true the next day. Don't blame the meteorologists - they do the best they can. Colorado weather is notoriously difficult to predict. Be prepared for anything and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver