Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM

301 posts, read 1,062,240 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading threads and laughed because we are another set of Floridians moving to Denver!! (Well, we will know for sure in January) My husband and I each put in for a job there and I think its going to happen, so if we do get the jobs then we will be moving out in February. We will be working near the Cherry Creek Mall and will be getting an apt in that area for 6 months to give time while we look for the an area we want to live. We are leaving our kids in Florida to finish out the school year (Staying with family) and will come get them in the summer. We cant wait. I think we are going to concetrate on Highlands Ranch area, maybe Lone Tree, but I also want to look at Centennial, is that a good area? Does anyone have any recommendation on places to look that would have a decent commute to the Cherry Creek North area? My kids are in middle and high school. Thanks!!

MODERATOR NOTE: I copied this posting from another thread to add more detail to this thread.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-15-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Smile Relocating, New Job On Cherry Creek N, where should we live?

We are planning to move to Denver in February and we are trying to look at areas that we would like to live. We will be working off Cherry Creek North, near the mall, and we want to find a nice place to live in the outskirts of Denver. We are currently looking at Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and Westminster. A friend also said to look at Thornton, but I dont know anything about that area... We have two kids, one in middle and one in high school... we currently live in Florida and no matter where we go will be a huge change, haha. My husband and I grew up in Colorado near Grand Junction, but I really cant remember a lot about the Denver area.

Do you have any recommendations? How is the commute from Westminster to Cherry Creek?

We want somewhere safe, where my kids can walk around and soon drive, we prefer something more with a small town feel if possible, but yet also be close to amenities and stuff to do. We live in the city now, well, an outskirt of the city, so I understand that small towns are not in metro areas! Mainly I just want something safe and family friendly, would love to be closer to the mountains or at least have a nice view, but I dont want an unrealistic commute either. Hopefully theres a happy medium.
Any thoughts/suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!!

Last edited by daisies76; 12-15-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Thornton? Good grief, that's up on the north side of the city, no doubt a long commute would be the result.

Renting for six months or so will give you time to look around and pick what works for you. Should be good rentals near the work site, giving more time for researching the region.

Good schools and family areas abound in the Denver metro area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
What activities are your kids into? What do you think is a reasonable commute? Do you wish to rent a town home or a single family house? Can you drive in snow?

There are plenty of suburban like neighborhoods in Denver near Cherry Creek.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Thank you for your responses. I would love to keep the commute 30 minutes or under, but I want to be in a great location that is safe for kids to go to the mall and run around, etc. We plan on renting a single family home

Drive in snow? haha, I never have before so we will soon find out!

Is the Highlands ranch area reasonable with commute?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Default HR to CCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
Is the Highlands ranch area reasonable with commute?
HR to CCN? No. Not reasonable.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I have to agree with 2bindenver that there are plenty of good neighborhoods around the Denver Creek.

Many people coming here think that the best areas to live are necessarily the suburbs from the experiences with other cities. I think Denver is much different and many nice, safe clean neighborhoods and many times better than some suburban areas.

If you can afford to live in Cherry Creek, that would be great. Actually some of the very best neighborhoods in Denver are just directly south of your job site, in and round South University Blvd. or South Colorado Blvd. Living just off University or Colorado, you can have an easy and quick commute by car to Cherry Creek North and better yet by public transit.

The neighborhoods are fantastic from Washington Park, Belcaro, in and around the University of Denver , University Hills, Southmoor etc. There are many good choices. It has to be noted that these neighborhoods are closer very expensive estates of Cherry Hills Village, and Greenwood Village, just south on University.

Here is a map of the Denver Neighborhoods to give you help in understanding Denver
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Westminster and Thornton have some good areas to live but why bother with a longer commute--these city neighborhoods are very good. If you really had to live in a suburbs, I would actually look at Centennial, South Parts of Aurora, Lone Tree or Highlands Ranch--much easier commutes by car or public transit to Cherrry Creek North.

Livecontent

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
HR to CCN? No. Not reasonable.
Seriously? I didnt realize. When I look at the map, it looks very close. I think 18 miles to Highlands Ranch. I was told that the light rail stops right in both areas and it would be quick. Plus both would be close to I25 and it looked like a straight shot so thats why we were kind of concentrating in that general area. See, I commute almost an hour each way here in FL. I DO NOT want to do that there, such a waste of time and money. Is it because of traffic? What makes it unreasonable?

Last edited by daisies76; 12-16-2011 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have to agree with 2bindenver that there are plenty of good neighborhoods around the Denver Creek.

Many people coming here think that the best areas to live are necessarily the suburbs from the experiences with other cities. I think Denver is much different and many nice, safe clean neighborhoods and many times better than some suburban areas.

If you can afford to live in Cherry Creek, that would be great. Actually some of the very best neighborhoods in Denver are just directly south of your job site, in and round South University Blvd. or South Colorado Blvd. Living just off University or Colorado, you can have an easy and quick commute by car to Cherry Creek North and better yet by public transit.

The neighborhoods are fantastic from Washington Park, Belcaro, in and around the University of Denver , University Hills, Southmoor etc. There are many good choices. It has to be noted that these neighborhoods are closer very expensive estates of Cherry Hills Village, and Greenwood Village, just south on University.

Here is a map of the Denver Neighborhoods to give you help in understanding Denver
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Westminster and Thornton have some good areas to live but why bother with a longer commute--these city neighborhoods are very good. If you really had to live in a suburbs, I would actually look at Centennial, South Parts of Aurora, Lone Tree or Highlands Ranch--much easier commutes by car or public transit to Cherrry Creek North.

Livecontent
Thank you so much for this info. Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree were two areas we had been thinking about. I have a friend that lives in Parker and she had recommended HR. We are not planning on buying for a couple of years because we are keeping our house in Florida for awhile. So we just need to be somewhere we can rent a house for a year or two to get to know the area, make sure we are secure in the new jobs, etc.

We will definitely look at Centennial also. Thanks again for the info.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Light Rail is not in CC or HR - HR is coming. So it would be a park n ride, or bus to rail and then a bus - and an hour is about right.

18 miles is 40 minutes. Try University Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver