Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM

59 posts, read 165,131 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am trying to make the best decision and it's really hard...trying to decide between Castlewood, CO or Southlake, TX. I have written down the pros and cons to both and they are pretty much equal. I've also done the comparisons on Sperlings and they are very similar.

We want to get out of Texas because this past summer was ridiculously hot, want a better house location, better schools, lower crime, not so many illegals... If we bought a home in Southlake w/ a pool, that would help w/ an activity outside during the summer (love to swim) as far as the hot weather goes.

Colorado is beautiful. Education, health and being green is big in this state, which I love!

My pros and cons are equal with both states...

My biggest concern about moving to CO is, can we stand the cold/dry weather, meet nice/down-to-earth people (I've heard Texans aren't liked much in CO-why is that???) and will I be able to find a job?

My husband's job allows him to work at home and travel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Are you referring to this Castlewood?
"Castlewood is a former census-designated place (CDP) in southern Arapahoe County, Colorado, United States. The population was 25,567 at the 2000 census.[1] It has been a part of the city of Centennial since the city's incorporation in 2001."

Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
There is a Castlewood in the area of Centennial, CO, just off of I-25 and Dry Creek Rd. Is this the area?

If so, it's just part of the sprawling Denver metro area, a nice part, but our regulars are going to ask you "Why Castlewood, specifically?"

Good schools abound in the region, swimming is mostly done in indoor pools at rec centers, ymca or fitness clubs, though some have both indoor and outdoor pools. Very few private pools here, water is expensive and the other season is quite short.

Weather is not a problem for most people, millions live here, including mostly transplants from all over, TX included.

Pay no attention to the griping of a few old timers who resent anyone moving here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Yes, Castlewood/Centennial is where I am talking about

My husband and I visited in August and I like that area because it seems that there would be young kids (we have a 4 and 7 year old) for them to play with in a safe area where the schools are good (Cherry Creek). It is close to conveniences (grocery store/shopping, assuming activities for the kids-if they were in soccer/t-ball/dance etc.) I like the mature trees. We are also considering parts of Greenwood Village, Lone Tree and only one or two neighborhoods in Highlands Ranch (will have to locate my file to find the names). I like Centennial (West of 25 and East of Holly St.) to stay in CC district. I am truly open to any suggestions that would help me decide the best location for my family.

We plan to visit again in about 3 weeks. My husband also went in October. We will need to go back in March to get a feel of the 'real' cold weather there. I have made several trips to Colorado and have always loved the state since a young girl. LOVE Steamboat, but that will not work for young kids and my husband needs to be no more than an hour from DIA as he travels often (and works from home). I am a stay-home mom for now, but our youngest will start Kindergarten in the Fall.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Default well, maybe it is because

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFields View Post
I've heard Texans aren't liked much in CO-why is that???
1. "Hi-all".
2. Rick Perry.
3. The Shrub (AKA 43).
4. Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Seriously,

I could have said hi ya'll...
Can't blame every Texan on Rick Perry or politics here either...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Seriously, it's All y'all. People from TX do not have a corner on the southern accent market.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. "Hi-all".
2. Rick Perry.
3. The Shrub (AKA 43).
4. Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I like Rick Perry, and I, like the majority of Coloradans, also voted for "The Shrub" in both 2000 and 2004.

And I also like Texans, who, by the way, are not at all disliked in Colorado. Texans know that people like to poke fun at them, but most also make really good neighbosr, and that's why we like them.

Last edited by GoneNative; 12-15-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFields View Post
Seriously,

I could have said hi ya'll...
Can't blame every Texan on Rick Perry or politics here either...
Are ya fixin' to say y'all?

What kind of house budget are you looking at? If you're targeting Southlake down there, the median price is around $500,000.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Native of Louisiana...pretty much southern, so I've 'earned' the right
to say ya'll

Yes, we are in that ball park for house pricing. I know it's more expensive in CO. I've been keeping an eye on Redfin.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver