Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,426 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in Texas but am moving up to Denver this month! I start work on the 30th.

My apartment is at the intersection of Santa Fe and Hampden (by the Platte River). I will work on Blake St. and 16th (ish).

What can I expect of my commute? How long? Any advice on back-roads I could or should take?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
That's a great location you're moving to, right near lots of shopping, restaurants, and theaters. Plus the Platte River trail. In fact, if you are a bike rider, you could bike all the way to work.

The best route is Santa Fe Drive to I-25 to Auraria Parkway or 20th Street. Santa Fe Drive is really busy in the morning. Your commute will probably be 30-45 minutes. You may want to consider taking the light rail. One back road you could take would be S. Platte River Drive -- I suggest you check it out sometime when you have time to figure it out because it's not easy to find at the north end.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Light Rail!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,426 times
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I will definitely consider investing in the light rail as well.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Sounds like "Riverton on the Platte" apartments? If that's where you live, problem is you can't walk (without risking your life) to the light rail station (or anywhere for that matter) even though it's so close. No sidewalks and no crosswalks going under the highway interchange. I considered moving there at one point until I started walking around, couldn't find a good way to get across. I thought I must have missed something, but no, other people have confirmed exactly what I found. So if you have to start your car anyway and drive just to get to the station, might as well just get on Santa Fe Dr and go all the way to downtown.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Major problem with using Santa Fe is that construction at the Santa Fe/I-25/Alameda interchange has made that whole area a mess and the commute very difficult.

Light rail is a short distance from your apartment (though it is hard to walk there) and lets you off 2 blocks from your destination, and unless you get a parking pass, it is quite expensive to park downtown.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Light rail is a short distance from your apartment (though it is hard to walk there) and lets you off 2 blocks from your destination,
What can you say about RTD light rail. Englewood Station, inadequate parking. Overcrowd because everyone from Littleton parks there, to avoid the crazy high zone charge between Littleton and Englewood.

Lousy feeder bus service, with the exception of the shuttle bus from Downtown Englewood and the hospitals. And that only exists because it's funded by the City of Englewood.

And to top it all off, it's hard to walk to. Even if your apartment is only a short distance from the station.It makes me wonder how RTD expects anyone to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver