Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:58 AM

16 posts, read 18,256 times

Advertisements

hi,
I do not know whether MSU is the best choice for me to pursue an aviation career , but i have already made up my mind and set it to be moving to COlorado next june . I really need some advise as where to rent and live off campus , not too far from the university and not too expensive .
I thank anyone in advance offering help and advice in regards to this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Montana State University?
Michigan State University?
Mississippi State University?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM

oops ! MSU stands for metropolitan state university of denver . thanks Davebarnes for the remark!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM

What is your planned housing budget?
How large an apartment?
Willing to consider room share?
Will you have a car?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 AM

looking share an apt with someone, paying about 400 a month ; no car

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Padmapper.com
use the filters
usual "be careful out there" warning
be prepared to spend more

Old 11-27-2014, 10:08 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Nobody here refers to Metro at "MSU." It's either "Metro" or "Metro State." The school changed their name from "Metropolitan State College of Denver" about two years ago. There might be some individually decent programs but as a whole for decades Metro State has had a reputation of being the bottom of the barrel in terms of colleges in the state, where literally all you need to get admitted is a pulse. It makes sense for people who already happen to live in Denver and don't have the ability to relocate for school, often "non-traditional" students, have in-state tuition rates, usually work full time and need a commuter school. I think it's a big mistake when out-of-staters pinpoint on a map that they are moving to Denver, and then happen to settle for whatever college happens to be there (Metro) without thoroughly researching whether or not it's a good college for them. If your goal is to further your education to advance your career, you should choose the best school that will most effectively and efficiently accomplish that objective. Maybe that very well is Metro State, maybe not, but either way the school should drive where you live for the next 4 years, not the other way around.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
^vegas is spot on about Metro. Bluntly, Colorado is no longer a national leader in any sense of the word when it comes to public colleges, with the single exception of Colorado School of Mines. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now. Mines has always had a stellar reputation, and, these days, can maintain much of its excellent status because a substantial chunk of its funding comes from non-state sources.

The best way to get the training and education in aviation? It's called the military. That's where most of private aviation gets its personnel, and, in many cases, those companies give preference to hiring veterans.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Nobody here refers to Metro at "MSU." It's either "Metro" or "Metro State." The school changed their name from "Metropolitan State College of Denver" about two years ago. There might be some individually decent programs but as a whole for decades Metro State has had a reputation of being the bottom of the barrel in terms of colleges in the state, where literally all you need to get admitted is a pulse. It makes sense for people who already happen to live in Denver and don't have the ability to relocate for school, often "non-traditional" students, have in-state tuition rates, usually work full time and need a commuter school. I think it's a big mistake when out-of-staters pinpoint on a map that they are moving to Denver, and then happen to settle for whatever college happens to be there (Metro) without thoroughly researching whether or not it's a good college for them. If your goal is to further your education to advance your career, you should choose the best school that will most effectively and efficiently accomplish that objective. Maybe that very well is Metro State, maybe not, but either way the school should drive where you live for the next 4 years, not the other way around.
thank for your advice ; i do not have a homeland in any of the state anyway ,since i only moved to vermont last year and live by myself ; i was born in boston ,moved to Africa when i was 7 then came back last year and live by myself ,on my own . i wish i could find an affordable aviation school on the east cost in an urban area ; i searched the internet and most of the ones i found are in FL and are expensive .

Last edited by yamna; 11-27-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Yamma,
Before you move.
Find someone who is an expert about applying to colleges AND understands actual costs.
Many schools (insert Harvard here) appear to be very expensive, but actually have more money to provide for grants (insert Harvard here) to qualified students and the final cost is less than a "state" school.
,dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver