Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No, no law overrides the right to keep and bear arms. The problem is, not many people have the time and money to challenge an un-constitutional law all the way to the Supreme Court. The NRA can, but they have to choose their battles carefully. One bad decision from the iffy Supreme Court would set back gun rights for a long time, maybe for good. That is one reason the up-coming Presidential election is so important: the next President will likely appoint at least one Supreme Court Justice during his term. Obama will appoint an anti-gun Justice.
This is blatantly untrue. Rights put forth in the Constitution are NOT absolute. No person has an absolute right to bear arms. Laws can be passed to put some limits on rights listed in the Constitution. For example:

First Amendment Rights are limited by the time, place, and/or manner of the speech. As Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes ruled, "...protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shout, 'Fire!' in a theater and causing a panic."

Second Amendment Rights are limited by the type of firearm a person may possess (no fully automatic weapons, RPGs, etc) and by who may possess firearms (convicted felons and mentally ill cannot own firearms).

In any case, the Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the Constitution. What they say is final. There are no "bad" decisions, only decisions with which you don't agree. The segment of the population that is currently upset with Chief Justice John Roberts are mad because they expected him to rule from a political perspective, not a legal perspective. The sign of a good justice is one who can rise above his/her ideology and rule on the constitutionality of a law.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,484,501 times
I may be wrong, but I believe parts of Thornton are in Denver County as well.

It IS legal for an owner of private property to restrict visitors to whatever level they deem acceptable. If the place is a public business then the only limitation they have is that their restrictions cannot be based on anything that would be clearly racist, sexist, ageist etc..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No, no law overrides the right to keep and bear arms. The problem is, not many people have the time and money to challenge an un-constitutional law all the way to the Supreme Court. The NRA can, but they have to choose their battles carefully. One bad decision from the iffy Supreme Court would set back gun rights for a long time, maybe for good. That is one reason the up-coming Presidential election is so important: the next President will likely appoint at least one Supreme Court Justice during his term. Obama will appoint an anti-gun Justice.
I should rephrase. I'm asking more from this perspective: Would I have the right to deny an armed person entry in to my home...regardless of my relationship with or to that person? And would a business have the same right to deny access?

I see the second amendment more as a bulwark against *government* obstruction rather than personal or private concerns.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe parts of Thornton are in Denver County as well.
Denver is a consolidated city and county. Thornton is entirely within Adams County. There are areas in Thornton and unincorporated areas in Adams County that have Denver, CO mailing addresses/ zip codes, but they are not in the Denver city limits. Zip code boundaries have nothing to do with municipal or county boundaries.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 PM

But if they are in Denver COUNTY are they not subject to County laws?

Unless the guy was refusing to leave when asked then the only thing he should be able to be charged with is trespassing...

Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
But if they are in Denver COUNTY are they not subject to County laws?

Unless the guy was refusing to leave when asked then the only thing he should be able to be charged with is trespassing...
Denver city IS Denver County. The borders are the same. The areas of Thornton that might have a "Denver" address, have one because the post office serving the area is in Denver.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM

350 posts, read 848,558 times
They said on the news that he was charged with possessing a deadly weapon in a liquor establishment?! Since when is that illegal in Colorado

Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 PM

It's NOT! Only possessing while consuming alcohol...no line in the sand as to how much...so best to not consume ANY...

Maybe he needs this kids Attorney!

Sean Combs Could Sue City After Winning Open Carry Gun Case | Video | TheBlaze.com

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,408 times
By all accounts, he didn't do anything wrong, and may get off, but given the recent shooting, he may end up being charged with inciting panic, or disturbing the peace. THE DA will try to make something stick.

Still, REALLLY stupid on his part. What did he think was going to be the reaction of the movie goers?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
."

Second Amendment Rights are limited by the type of firearm a person may possess (no fully automatic weapons, RPGs, etc) and by who may possess firearms (convicted felons and mentally ill cannot own firearms).
The 2nd amendment specifically says the right of citizens to keep and bear arms "shall not be infringed". Do you understand what that means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver