Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You do know that there are different people on this planet with different likes and dislikes.

i.e. some people may be focused on the "taste" part, and thus find this event a spectacular failure.
I get it. My Dad went to college in Chicago and loved it. You're used to something else where as I have nothing to really compare it to like you. I do think the ren fest is much better here than in California though, when it comes to comparing festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
For those of you complaining about the quality of the food at Taste of Colorado: Westword Dish

Usually the Dish has some of the better restaurants in Denver. It also has a much more laid back vibe as well since it's admission instead of free entry and tickets.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:36 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
I went a couple times. The first time was interesting to say the least. The second time was meh. All of these kinds of festivals seem to be the same, no matter where you go. Crappy, overpriced food and beer with mediocre bands that you've never heard of. As far as the entertainment, you get what you pay for. As far as the food and beer, I'd suggest that you eat and drink before/after you go. Just go to people watch. There are a lot of interesting people to see walking around.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,746 times
LOL...I am currently reading posts about Denver to figure out what I am in for after accepting a job. It seems from the posts here I will meet the same kinds of people I have lived next to in the Bay Area and Central California. I do not need haute cuisine, custom craft beers nor do I only listen to albums that never make the radio. The description of this event, both pro and con, have convinced me that my move will not be a life changing event and humanity is not that different from place to place...with that said I enjoy hanging out listening to music, eating and having a beer so I look forward to this festival next year...

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by printgoon View Post
LOL...I am currently reading posts about Denver to figure out what I am in for after accepting a job. It seems from the posts here I will meet the same kinds of people I have lived next to in the Bay Area and Central California. I do not need haute cuisine, custom craft beers nor do I only listen to albums that never make the radio. The description of this event, both pro and con, have convinced me that my move will not be a life changing event and humanity is not that different from place to place...with that said I enjoy hanging out listening to music, eating and having a beer so I look forward to this festival next year...
Truth from someone who has lived in the Bay and California for many years, the people are mostly dissimilar. I think Denver has a good mix, this type of person you describe is just more active on the internet.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
I hit the brew at the Zoo. Much more my speed. $70 bucks keeps most of the unwashed masses out, tons of local beers, and the food wasn't bad. . .

Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times
What a surprise! This is food here is mediocre at best. I am sure everything was smothered with green chile.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Truth from someone who has lived in the Bay and California for many years, the people are mostly dissimilar. I think Denver has a good mix, this type of person you describe is just more active on the internet.
Ya I could have better worded that....That type of personality gets under my skin enough for me to make an over generalization of the place I have lived for the last 40 years, as much as saying they are mostly dissimilar is an over generalization. Good job on calling me on that, it is a trait I am familiar with in California..I did it again didn't I?

Last edited by printgoon; 09-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: who knows

Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM

229 posts, read 423,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
What a surprise! This is food here is mediocre at best. I am sure everything was smothered with green chile.
Totally untrue and another over generalized comment about Colorado from your perspective. Aside from a Mexican food joint, I haven't had green chile on any dish here for many years now.

I've mentioned this before in another thread, the best food in this city is the "farm to table" concept. There are countless of these restaurants around the Denver area (root down, bittersweet, fruition, 12, to name a few) and this is where the city shines. The food is ridiculously fresh, tasty and creative. I read an article about how Denver is becomig a mecca for chefs from the larger cities coming here as there isn't a ton of competition for them here and they can make a name for themselves rather quickly. The ones succeeding are the ones embracing the local, organic, in season, and fresh concept and my god they are doing it well. I just got back from NY, Chicago and Toronto and was craving the food here as I went to some of the more popular places in those cities and found things to be overly salty, rich, greasy, and/or sweet. I guess my palete prefers the cleaner, crisper taste these days and no doubt this city is getting tons of those places.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I think i'm giving up on food festivals. The last one I liked was the Oyster Festival in Milford, CT. Everything has been a pretty disappointing since then. I don't know what I expected. . lot of local good restaurants.

What I got was a lot of restaurants who all served a cheaper "taste" that was their crappiest dish. Oh wow, a taste of a spniach pie at a gyro restaurant.

AND THE BEER SELECTION. Great if you like coors, blue moon, and miller. You have to really search to find the denver tent, and even then the selection is sparse.
All the reasons I never liked food festivals, regardless of whether in Denver or anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver