Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM

29 posts, read 97,546 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We may be relocating to Denver from Boston. I know *nothing* about the city. My husband would be working at the Univ. of Co. Children's Hospital. We have two small children, and the oldest will be in pre-k this coming year, kindergarten the following year. A few questions:

1. What are the very best private schools (elementary or elementary +) in the area? I think I am primarily interested in private school, but feel free to tell me about public school as well. We are going to want to live near our children's school (this is a MUST for me), so I want to focus on those neighborhoods.

2. Are any of the above in nice neighborhoods that are also a reasonable commute from the hospital (I'd say 45 minutes or less, preferably 30 minutes or less)? We are used to short commutes living in a city, so we have no desire to live in some far-flung neighborhood and commute an hour each way to work and/or school.

3. Budget: $1m or so.

4. Wishes: 4 bedrooms+. We currently live in a single family in an urban neighborhood, so we do like living right in the midst of things. But recognizing that we want 4+ bedrooms with a growing family, we're also open to the suburbs. I would prefer NOT to have a tract home; we prefer neighborhoods with historic or at least good architecture, preferably with mature trees -- older neighborhoods. We're not really into new style faux Tuscan/faux Spanish type homes or McMansion type neighborhoods, but not sure how realistic we are. I also like to be near amenities like good shopping, but not a must.

Thoughts, suggestions, laughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
It sounds to me like you would prefer Cherry Creek North and with a 1M budget you can afford it.

This region:
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...&ved=0CKIBELYD

You could be in the Bromwell School District which is a 10/10 Grade School: Bromwell Elementary School - Denver, Colorado - CO - School overview. There are many good private schools in that area as well, including: Denver Waldorf, Graland Country Day School, Stanley British Primary School and Denver's Montclair International Academy.

In your price range you will have a lot of options here.

Here you go:
COhomefinder | bromwell Elementary School Active Houses for Sale
COhomefinder | 657 Saint Paul St Denver, CO 80206 - MLS #1131115 - Home for sale at COhomefinder

Last edited by Mach50; 11-13-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM

29 posts, read 97,546 times
Thank you!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default More schools

Private schools
St Annes St. Annes Episcopal School - Main (My daughter went there from k-8)
Colorado Academy Colorado Academy, a PK-12 independent day school in Denver (My daughter went there 9-12 and then went to Columbia) CA would mean a long commute.

I second the Bromwell idea. K-5. You MUST live within the district boundaries. http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/214.pdf
Bromwell Elementary

You should also look at Steck. You MUST live within the district boundaries.
Welcome to » Steck Elementary
This would be an easy commute.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM

6,791 posts, read 9,337,164 times
You should look in the Hilltop neighborhood in Denver (just east of Cherry Creek North) and take a look at Graland Country Day School. I feel like it's the best mix of urban and suburban -- kind of a residential area, yet still close to everything. Graland is a good school, from what I hear.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM

112 posts, read 168,157 times
I work at Children's. Lots of people who work here live in Stapleton which is very close to the hospital. Do a search on the forums on Stapleton and you'll get lots of info, my gut says it's not what you're after.

Hilltop and Cherry Creek are good suggestions for neighborhoods. For commute times, I live near DU (maybe you want to look at Wash Park as a possible neighborhood) and my commute is usually 30 minutes to the hospital from home. They're currently working on the highway which is the main route from the south/southwest, but it will be done in a few years and the light rail will be running to the hospital, which will be nice.

Wash Park, Bonnie Brae, and University Hills are mature neighborhoods with good architecture, and they're close to some shops/restaurants/interesting stuff. They wouldn't be too far from the hospital and you're still close to downtown Denver.

I can't speak to schools since I have a one year old and haven't looked into that too much yet.

I will say that Denver feels different from big cities like Boston, Chicago, etc. I think you'll love the weather and there's lots to do year-round.

PM me if you want more info

Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
I work at Children's. Lots of people who work here live in Stapleton which is very close to the hospital. Do a search on the forums on Stapleton and you'll get lots of info, my gut says it's not what you're after.
To clarify, you would want to avoid Stapleton (and Lowry for that matter) if you want to avoid tract homes and want mature trees. Lots of families there, but it's "new urbanism."

I'd say Park Hill, Congress Park, and Cherry Creek North are probably some good options, although I'm clueless on the private school situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: