Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 9,560 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

New here, so please be gentle! :-)

I am from a small town in the upper midwest. My fiance and I will be relocating to Denver in May 2013. He is from Denver, but has been away for 5-6 years (and wishes he never left!). I have never lived anywhere but "here."

My question is this...I love the feel of the downtown / city center area of Denver. I would like to be able to live AND work in an area that has a real "old neighborhood" feel, nothing suburban. My fiance says that is not how it works...if you live in the city, you commute an hour to your job. I am convinced that can't be the only option. I have a 10+ year background in dispatching (non emergency) with very strong admin skills, but I am very flexible about jobs. As long as I can make rent and live in the neighborhood that feels right, I am happy. From looking online, I am thinking somewhere in the Capitol Hill / Uptown / Golden Triangle / 5 Points areas.

Input on whether you can live and work in one area? Ideally I'd like to use biking, walking, and public transportation.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
The two major employment centers are downtown and the Tech Center. Plenty of people work downtown so I'm not sure why your dude thinks that you can't live and work downtown. The most charming old neighborhoods are also the most expensive, but Baker for example is a very cool neighborhood, pretty affordable and has very easy Light Rail access which can take you to the business district downtown in 10 minutes or so. The other benefit of Baker is better highway acces than the neighborhoods you listed above.

I would say you are more likely to have an easy commute if you live downtown than if you don't. I'm really not sure what he is thinking unless he already has a job lined up somewhere in the suburbs.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Find the work first, then I'm sure you can find a nice place to live within a reasonable distance. So many of the different areas in and around the Denver metro area have qualities that you are looking for. You don't need to be in downtown for either work or dwelling.

There's no reason to commute an hour for work. Maybe your guy did before, but that's no reason why you have to do it now.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Thank you for your replies. I realize this is kind of an additional concern not initially mentioned, but from everything I've read here and on other forums, I understand the job hunt can't really begin until I am physically in Denver. If that is incorrect, someone please let me know and feel free to pass along any tips. Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

356 posts, read 624,200 times
Most employers are looking for local candidates, however you can at least get your resume looked at if you get a Google Voice account with a Denver area code and forward to your cell phone.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Applying

Thanks for the tip about Google Voice, I have already done that.

I don't know what to do about the address, though.

Is it possible to get a local mailbox when you're not local?

Thanks all! You guys have been wonderful, especially considering I am a newbie and a stranger! :-)

Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM

356 posts, read 624,200 times
Since your fiance is from here does he have any friends or relatives that will let you use their address? PO Box perhaps? if not just leave the address off the resume.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
You can get a local address at any Mail Boxes Etc or local mailbox place. However you have to visit/set up in person and show identification and a utility bill showing an actual address.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Your fiance' is dead wrong. Most of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown (five mile radius in any diretion) have affordable single-family houses (small bungalows) with very easy to commute to the central business district. Larger cities like New York, Chicago, and San Francisco do not afford this option, which makes Denver very special in this respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver