Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBrit54 View Post
Sorry about the length! I am precise, but not concise! My wordiness gets the best of me! Well, that and my tangents…

First thing, it’s not that I WANT to move to Denver.. it’s that we will not have the option to move elsewhere if my fiancé gets the job. It is a government position and Denver is where its at.

Secondly, I never said I didn’t like mountains! I have actually always wanted to live in a Mountainous Metropolis! I just said “I don’t ski”…. That doesn’t mean I won’t take it up! Plus, there are other ways to enjoy the mountains, no? I love photography, and walking the pups, and biking….

Thirdly, don’t sell Denver short! I mean yes the mountains and breweries are a huge part of Denver life… but that’s like me saying I am moving to Denver just to smoke weed. There is more to Denver than just these things….

Lastly, I would LOVE to move to San Fran, Chicago, Boston, or even Seaside, FL or Seattle, but it depends on his job. And again, read above… this <long> thread isn’t based on “must-haves”, rather me just digging into the city’s culture and way of life in the eyes of strangers!

Ha! I rather appreciate the precision and unlike most long forum posts, yours is quite readable.

I'll never sell Denver short. I absolutely love it here. The only friends I have had who didn't like it though we're people who seemed to be longing for that NY/Chicago/Boston/San Fran big city life. Don't get me wrong, Denver is a good sized city and has a lot to offer but if you don't take advantage of this things that making living here so great, many of which are outside of the city limits, you are missing a good chunk of the experience.

There are some amazing neighborhoods, great restaurants, bars, and people in town. The weather compared to St. Louis is in a different league. We also don't have near the ghetto areas of St. Louis, not that you probably spent much time there.

One other thing that I would add is that your questions have failed to elicit "Wash Park" as an answer which is widely considered the most desirable city neighborhood in Denver; Especially for a couple in their mid twenties. I mention this because it could be that there is a lot more out there that has not been discussed in this thread yet

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-08-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM

31 posts, read 56,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Ha! I rather appreciate the precision and unlike most long forum posts, yours is quite readable.

One other thing that I would add is that your questions have failed to elicit "Wash Park" as an answer which is widely considered the most desirable city neighborhood in Denver; Especially for a couple in their mid twenties. I mention this because it could be that there is a lot more out there that has not been discussed in this thread yet
HE GOT THE JOB, HE GOT THE JOB!!!!! We are headed to Denver! He just was called and he got the job!!!! I am so happy to get out of here!!!

And yes - I will most definitely search in Washington Park as well!!! Thank you, thank you to all!!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
That's great! Where is work?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM

473 posts, read 849,131 times
What about Baker Tower Apartments? Or Clock Tower Lofts? Chamber Lofts? Buernger Brothers (spelling)??

Baker Tower is in a good neighborhood. Great environment along south Broadway, easy access to CBD and Baker is only getting better in all parts. Personally I find the lofts downtown overpriced, for example the Bank/Boston loft prices are absurd and don't even include parking. I prefer being "adjacent" to downtown in Cap Hill, Uptown, Congress Park, or South Broadway - where I have more residential, less tourists, and a few parks scattered about. (Although if you wind up in Riverfront Park area it can't be beat - and also a grocery store is slated to open in the CBD which is sorely lacking.)

I said "absolutely not" to Mezzo but I'm very familiar with the building (crowded and tiny like a barely short of tenement standards) and The Overlook is on a crummy congested intersection aside a major road and interstate. Skip them both, although Mezzo's neighborhood is great: Older Capitol Hill apartments and 60s/70s high rises (with great views) to the east and more modern lofts to the west (Golden Triangle)

If you're planning on staying for a while rent for a year and consider buying a place. Rentals right now are quite overpriced, and I have many friends who have purchased over the past few years and their mortgages with HOAs are 1/4-1/3 cheaper than what a lease would be. And of course consider the obligations that come with it -- but doesn't hurt to mention it in the current market.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I think your questions have been largely answered, but I just wanted to say welcome! I moved here a year ago after 7 years in STL (lived all over the place--CWE, Soulard, Clayton, Webster Groves). I only have 2 comments:

Denver is very, very different from STL. That can be great sometimes, bad in other cases.

The rental market is going to make your head spin here. Finding a nice, affordable apartment is an excruciating exercise. It's very unlikely that you'll find everything you want--the Highlands probably fits you best, but is very expensive. Plus, I came out here with high expectations for the Highlands with the way everyone hypes it, and was a little disappointed at first. I lived downtown for a year and enjoyed it enough; I just moved to Congress Park this weekend for a better deal and less noise.

Good luck with your move! Yelp is a great resource for cool spots in town. Feel free to PM me. I've actually met a lot of STL people here.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
That's great! Where is work?
He will be working for the OCC – it’s a government job. I couldn’t be more proud of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Baker Tower is in a good neighborhood. Great environment along south Broadway, easy access to CBD and Baker is only getting better in all parts. Personally I find the lofts downtown overpriced, for example the Bank/Boston loft prices are absurd and don't even include parking. I prefer being "adjacent" to downtown in Cap Hill, Uptown, Congress Park, or South Broadway - where I have more residential, less tourists, and a few parks scattered about. (Although if you wind up in Riverfront Park area it can't be beat - and also a grocery store is slated to open in the CBD which is sorely lacking.)

This is great information – thank you very much!

If you're planning on staying for a while rent for a year and consider buying a place. Rentals right now are quite overpriced, and I have many friends who have purchased over the past few years and their mortgages with HOAs are 1/4-1/3 cheaper than what a lease would be. And of course consider the obligations that come with it -- but doesn't hurt to mention it in the current market.

It is a drag knowing we are going to rent when we are currently homeowners. Renting is more expensive than owning for sure! But at the current moment, I don’t have the energy in searching for the perfect home, or going through the buying process! Luckily, we have decided to keep our current residence and skip the selling process for now! I just don’t want to overwhelm myself with relocating to Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I think your questions have been largely answered, but I just wanted to say welcome! I moved here a year ago after 7 years in STL (lived all over the place--CWE, Soulard, Clayton, Webster Groves). I only have 2 comments:

Well thank you! We will be there in June! I am very excited and looking forward to this fantastic opportunity!

The rental market is going to make your head spin here. Finding a nice, affordable apartment is an excruciating exercise. It's very unlikely that you'll find everything you want--the Highlands probably fits you best, but is very expensive. Plus, I came out here with high expectations for the Highlands with the way everyone hypes it, and was a little disappointed at first. I lived downtown for a year and enjoyed it enough; I just moved to Congress Park this weekend for a better deal and less noise.

Right now our top picks if we stay around Denver proper are (in no particular order): Highlands, Wash Park, Congress Park/Cheeseman, or Colfax. I have found interest in River Front Park but am confused on the apartments in this area.. I just need to come and visit and see where it takes me!

Good luck with your move! Yelp is a great resource for cool spots in town. Feel free to PM me. I've actually met a lot of STL people here.

Thank you!! I will for sure!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default So, can we assume

Quote:
He will be working for the OCC – it’s a government job. I couldn’t be more proud of him!
1225 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202

Yes?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1225 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202

Yes?
Yes. Why?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Yes. Why?

He's trying to help figure out a good place to live if that is where your dude has to commute to every day.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
He's trying to help figure out a good place to live if that is where your dude has to commute to every day.
That's what I thought.. I was using his work address to nail down the options as well and that is why I am stuck on those Clock Tower, Buerger Brothers, and Chamber Lofts because they're so close! I like the Boston/Banks Lofts too - but they are super high.

Despite the noise of the city, I would like something close to his work in case I can't be so lucky to find work in the city... That way he could walk or cab if need be.. We currently have three vehicles, but are considering only taking one with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver