Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

A U.S. Census Bureau report released Tuesday reveals 42.5 percent of the 5 million people living in Colorado last year were born in the state.

The number of people in Colorado who were born elsewhere was slightly higher, at 46.2 percent.

I must be missing something here, but wouldn't the people born in the state and the people born out of state equal 100%? Where were the other 11.3% born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM

21 posts, read 74,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I must be missing something here, but wouldn't the people born in the state and the people born out of state equal 100%? Where were the other 11.3% born?
mexico

Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
It's not Californians in general that people in Colorado hate, it's the ones who are so arrogant and constantly criticizing Coloradans and being negative non stop that people here hate in addition to political reasons as you mentioned. This is the case in any state, it makes sense. I too was not liked when I first moved here from Texas but I was soon seen as a "non Texan" and no longer disliked. There's this kind of crap in every state and everyone is guilty of it at some point.
Oh, there's a subset of "natives" who hate all non-natives. They believe every flipping stereotype. Once in a while one will say something like "You're OK, for an easterner", or Californian, or Texan, or whatever. I did not see such "crap" in Illinois, at least to the degree you see it here in CO.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, there's a subset of "natives" who hate all non-natives. They believe every flipping stereotype. Once in a while one will say something like "You're OK, for an easterner", or Californian, or Texan, or whatever. I did not see such "crap" in Illinois, at least to the degree you see it here in CO.
Well I've seen it in every state I've lived, and I do remember living in Michigan and visiting Illinois as a kid and hearing both states bash each other for dumb reasons, but it was just in the north western area of Illinois that I heard this. People in all states do this, even if you have never noticed it personally. There are people in every state that just hate for no reason, but you just have to ignore those people.

When I lived near Sacramento, I remember people would bash Texas and Oregon daily for no real reason either, but this was just a certain group of people and not everybody of course. I've never understood why people single out Colorado in this subject, but to each his/her own I guess.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM

352 posts, read 713,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
1. Car lots can't be open on Sundays (I find that very weird for some reason)
2. Auto insurance is ridiculously expensive. I paid LESS in L.A.
3. People are absolutely terrified of pulling into an intersection on green when there is no left turn arrow.
4. It is as hot as hell in the summer.
About #1, if memory serves me, the law mandating Sunday car lot closures passed a few years ago much to the relief of all car lot owners who relished the day off.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Yes it's illegal, don't be mad at people who follow the law just because you break it! I'm well aware that people drive differently in all states, but none of these places is "the norm" for driving. I too have driven by cops doing 85 in a 65 on I-25 a few times and I also haven't been pulled over. Sometimes cops don't care about small things when there's much worse things to be watching for. If you pull around people to turn left that is also poor practice. Realize not everyone is an aggressive driver and that no one owns the road. I've never seen someone sit at a light for three cycles blocking the turn lane, but it's perfectly understandable if this happens traffic is brutal at times and if you choose to risk an accident, then that's your decision. If there's not enough room to turn without risking an accident for 10 minutes sometimes then you have to accept that, In Washington D.C. for example people aggressively pull out into the intersection all the time and I personally have seen these cars get hit by the other cars and cause ambulances to get blocked in before several times, its better to be safe than impatient and risk killing someone. Also if you have a higher performance car that can accelerate quickly and beat the guy coming the opposite direction with enough time and space at the last second, you must realize not everyone is fortunate enough to have this. My 94 Accord is a weak 4 cylinder car and accelerating to 20 mph especially in a turn takes a long time from a stop. Just because your 300 HP 2010 Toyota can do this doesn't mean the guy in front of you can too. I'll never understand why people are so aggressive and impatient on the road for no reason, It's life! Get over it. Also you're aware L.A. is one of the leading cities in auto accidents and deaths right?

I'll agree to disagree with you on the summers. I was last in L.A. in 2009 and it was 88 degrees the whole month of August. This is similar to Denver. I'm aware the coast is a little cooler but the majority of the city is around 85 degrees in the summertime.
No it is NOT illegal. However going 85 in a 65 is illegal.

Take another turn --UPDATE : Ask! : Rocky Mountain News

Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
About #1, if memory serves me, the law mandating Sunday car lot closures passed a few years ago much to the relief of all car lot owners who relished the day off.
A few years ago? It's been that way for a long time; I think ever since we moved here in 1980.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
No, it has been that way forever. What I think you're thinking of was a few years ago they discussed getting rid of it and the car dealers were opposed. They figure that being closed for 1 day a week doesn't cost them anything. If you were going to buy a car on Sunday, you can probably wait until Monday.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No, it has been that way forever. What I think you're thinking of was a few years ago they discussed getting rid of it and the car dealers were opposed. They figure that being closed for 1 day a week doesn't cost them anything. If you were going to buy a car on Sunday, you can probably wait until Monday.
The other thing that changed a few years ago was that liquor stores can be open on Sundays.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 AM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
No it is NOT illegal. However going 85 in a 65 is illegal.

Take another turn --UPDATE : Ask! : Rocky Mountain News
Well it was illegal 10 years ago, I guess it has changed. Even so the Colorado Drivers handbook strongly discourages it. It will always be a gamble, and drivers don't have to do it if they don't want to. As far as the 85 in a 65 I never said it wasn't illegal, I was speeding because I was just flowing with traffic because everyone else was speeding and I didn't notice it at first. I'm 100% sure you've done this too, I see it every day being done by 80 percent of drivers on a highway. Cops don't always care about this if it's not the biggest issue at the time and many other drivers are doing it as well! They might pick some people to pull over but the odds of it being you are Very low! I'm careful now not to do this, and I usually have to deal with angry drivers behind me because Im preventing them from speeding for 5 seconds before they can go around me, apparently you're one of these angry and impatient types too. I was simply using this scenario as an example that not everyone gets pulled over every time they accidentally or deliberately do something illegal or discouraged, although a cop will at some point get you if you always do this. For the record I've never gotten a speeding ticket, and this isn't because of luck (well I guess that one time was because of luck ; )

You're from L.A. and people there drive crazy all the time on purpose (when the traffic is moving of course) definitely more so than Denver IMO. I've seen people run red lights in the middle of a line of cars, and motorcycles cut off ambulances in L.A. numerous times. Every city has bad drivers, or drivers people will dislike even though those drivers are doing nothing wrong!

The point was that you shouldn't get mad just because not everyone drives the way you do, when other drivers are doing things perfectly allowable. I guess pulling into an intersection is allowed now in Colorado, but this doesn't mean people have to do it. Just accept that!

Best of luck on the road! Getting where you're going alive is most important, why risk an accident when you don't have too. It's also funny you mention that I said it was illegal just because I didn't like it, this isn't true anyways, but even so I could say the same thing about you. You said you don't like it when people don't pull out into an intersection, even though they don't have to. So obviously this is just a case of you not liking it! Don't use something that you've just done as a way to try and prove someone else wrong! Also don't accuse me of braking the law by speeding on one occasion when I was just listing an example of how cops won't always pull you over, and you've just admitted that you illegally go around people and turn left out of a non turn lane when you don't like the fact they are just being safe in the left lane and not braking the law! Besides how is it that 4 or 5 cars turning left once the light has turned red not a bad thing? Take a look at the comments on the link you provided, most people agree with me.

Last edited by JMM64; 06-01-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver