Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,982 times

Advertisements

Friend is considering moving to Evergreen or the surrounding areas but is wondering if there is an Asian population there or ethnic diversity? Having lived in areas of California where he is never the only Asian person in the neighborhood, it may be a culture shock? Any insights on diversity, racism, etc.? Thanks in advance ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Evergreen is 0.8% Asian (2010). 93.8% of Evergreen residents are white (non-Hispanic).

Evergreen doesn't really have "surrounding areas", it is up in the foothills, and you have to go down out of them to find another populated area.

If he's going to get out of his comfort zone, he has to accept the fact that he'll be getting out of his comfort zone. If he's willing to do and accept that, he'll be fine anywhere.

IMO Evergreen is as good a place as any, so long as unjustified fears like lack of "diversity" and fear of racism are quelled.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM

24 posts, read 96,729 times
There is not a large Asian population in Colorado and there is no residential neighborhood with high concentration of Asians. However, your friend should not worry about being rejected by the community simply because he is an Asian. People here are very open minded in general.

What he needs to consider instead, is easy access to Asian super markets and good ethnic restaurants. In that regard, Evergreen is not a good place. It is too remote in the mountain (very nice place though). There is a high concentration of Asian businesses at Federal and Alameda in Denver. If he likes to liver in a City, Washington Park is a good area. If he likes to live in a suburb, Lakewood is good. He may also like Boulder/Broomfield area. There is a large Asian super market in Broomfield and Boulder is a culturally diverse community.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,704 times
While there isn't a neighborhood in Denver/Aurora that is predominantly Asian, you will see Asians often enough . There are areas of Denver & Aurora that cater to Asian food needs with some pretty well stocked stores.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysleeper View Post
Friend is considering moving to Evergreen or the surrounding areas but is wondering if there is an Asian population there or ethnic diversity? Having lived in areas of California where he is never the only Asian person in the neighborhood, it may be a culture shock? Any insights on diversity, racism, etc.? Thanks in advance ...

There's not much diversity in Denver or surrounding towns. Anyone who says otherwise isn't giving you an accurate picture. Denver is mostly Caucasian or Hispanic. There are small populations of Asians, East Indians, and Ethiopians, and Eastern Europeans but there are no "Asian" neighborhoods.

I don't think there's any noticeable racism going on there.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 9,340,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
While there isn't a neighborhood in Denver/Aurora that is predominantly Asian, you will see Asians often enough . There are areas of Denver & Aurora that cater to Asian food needs with some pretty well stocked stores.
Agree. South Federal in Denver and a small cluster of shops around Parker Rd and (approximately) Yale in Aurora are good spots to find Asian food stores. Neither area is anything like, say, Chinatown in San Francisco. H-Mart, which is in Aurora, is sort of like Mitsua in Southern California.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Honestly as a recovering Californian I think these majority ethnic towns/neighborhoods (Fremont 55% Asian, Redwood City 50% Hispanic) are a BAD thing.

There is less racism in Denver without all those divisions.

I see Asians all the time, all around Denver and they seem to be doing fine.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
Denver's Asian population is in a couple of different areas.

The area around south Federal Blvd. and up into Wheat Ridge is populated almost entirely by Vietnamese. There is even a Vietnamese Catholic Church (Queen of Vietnamese Martyrs) up north by Lakeside and a church that has a Vietnamese language mass (All Saints) on South Federal by Loretto Heights.

The Chinese, Korean, and Indian (yes, Indians are Asians) populations are mostly centered in Greenwood Village and southern Aurora. Havana St., Parker Rd., and Peoria have quite a few businesses that cater to the Chinese, Korean, and Indian populations.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 PM

53 posts, read 149,012 times
What do you recommend as a nice cozy suburb in Denver/Boulder for a apartment single!?

I maybe moving to Colorado/Denver for the natural beauty and well friendliness and open-nature's of the area.

I'm more 50% White and 50% East Asian culturally (half and half _) so I sometimes need a Asian super-market. (I am a foodie after-all!)

Yeah I think those 60%+ Asian/Hispanic communities in CA are out of balance.

I like more 20-25% where I am in the Mid-West.

There is some great engineering/IT/Analyst/Systems jobs I'm considering in Denver and it's in the freaking middle for business travel out of DEN airport.

Wasn't there some Asian multi-national company {Technology/Services/IT} with offices in Denver!?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
What do you recommend as a nice cozy suburb in Denver/Boulder for a apartment single!?

I maybe moving to Colorado/Denver for the natural beauty and well friendliness and open-nature's of the area.

I'm more 50% White and 50% East Asian culturally (half and half _) so I sometimes need a Asian super-market. (I am a foodie after-all!)

Yeah I think those 60%+ Asian/Hispanic communities in CA are out of balance.

I like more 20-25% where I am in the Mid-West.

There is some great engineering/IT/Analyst/Systems jobs I'm considering in Denver and it's in the freaking middle for business travel out of DEN airport.

Wasn't there some Asian multi-national company {Technology/Services/IT} with offices in Denver!?
South Aurora, only because there's a big Asian supermarket there and it's a reasonable commute to DTC, and not too bad of one to DTD, or DIA. Look in zips 80014 and 80015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver