Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but all the lot sizes in the Denver burbs seems to be really small? Is it too much to ask for around 1 acre with a budget of $700K? What suburbs should I be looking at that have large lots, good schools and fairly close proximity to Denver? I don't have a job lined up at this point, just doing some exploration. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Small lot sizes are typical here and becoming common everywhere as developers seek to hold down price of each building lot they sell as lots must bear the cost of extending the infrastructures to suburbs. Miles and miles of water, sewer, gas, electrical, telephone, cable, sidewalks, roads, curbs, signage, signals and etc really adds up the further one gets from city center. Spreading costs over more lots makes each lot thousands of dollars cheaper (or adds to their profits). Large lots can be found but I'd expect them to cost $500k and up unless one goes way out on the prairie.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM

403 posts, read 759,284 times
Evergreen, Conifer, and Morrison are your best bets for finding larger lot sizes within a reasonable commute to metro Denver. With excellent public schools and your budget, it's a fantastic place to live and raise a family.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 PM

11,824 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Water is the biggest factor for smaller lot sizes. There are plenty of 1+ acre sites in and around denver metro. But it would be best to find work then property. It is no longer feasible to live across town from work.

Don't give your hard earned income to foreign oil.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Default Work the RE search sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but all the lot sizes in the Denver burbs seems to be really small? Is it too much to ask for around 1 acre with a budget of $700K? What suburbs should I be looking at that have large lots, good schools and fairly close proximity to Denver? I don't have a job lined up at this point, just doing some exploration. Thanks!
Try this search of Jefferson County, 400-700K, 1-2 acres
47 current listings
COhomefinder | jefferson county Colorado Active Houses for Sale

Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default You need to visit

Denver gets 15 inches of rain/snow a year.
Atlanta gets 40+.
They are dramatically different places.
Work location first.

I did a search in Parker, CO
$600K-700K
1+ acre
and got one result
http://8z.com/homes/CO/Parker/80134/...573/index.html

Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Have you ever actually been to Denver?

Your previous posts indicate you think the weather in Atlanta is near perfect. Denver is very, very different. It is not humid and lush. What are you imagining that lot to look like?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Bow Mar has one acre (or close to) lots, but I'm not sure how much house you could get there for $700,000. Probably a fixer.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Try this search of Jefferson County, 400-700K, 1-2 acres
47 current listings
COhomefinder | jefferson county Colorado Active Houses for Sale
Nice, definitely some prospects in that list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Have you ever actually been to Denver?

Your previous posts indicate you think the weather in Atlanta is near perfect. Denver is very, very different. It is not humid and lush. What are you imagining that lot to look like?
Yes, I've been to Denver (long time ago though) and I have some relatives in Steamboat and Fort Collins. I realize it's semi-arid and that my lush lawn here in Atlanta would likely be replaced with sporadic dirt and rock. I just can't stand living in a neighborhood where homes are right on top of each other, but I also don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm originally from Chicago so I'm no stranger to cold weather. I actually enjoy the occasional blizzard, but not 30+ days in a row where the temp never gets out of single digits (like Chicago). Is well water an option out there for lawn/landscape?

Also, I understand the job first mentality, but I'm fortunate to be in a field where I have an abundance of opportunities (High-level IT background with many years of experience) so before looking for a job, I'd like to have an idea of where I'd prefer to live and then base my job search within a 20 mile radius.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Bow Mar is very expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Bow Mar has one acre (or close to) lots, but I'm not sure how much house you could get there for $700,000. Probably a fixer.
Cheapest house on the market in Bow Mar is $860K
5065 Juniper St, Littleton, CO 80123 is For Sale - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver