Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Denver: neighborhoods, downtown, condo, metro area.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 AM

287 posts, read 498,573 times

Advertisements

I just moved to an area South of Denver, Centennial. I find it very nice in this neck of the woods. I have not been to the areas North of Denver. In the south, I have noticed that the landscape towards the mountains is beautiful;
open and spacious. It shows hints of the landscape you might find along the
Interstate as you pass by Castle Rock. Is it like this North of Denver? In the
South, there are many beautiful neighborhoods. I am wondering if south
is where the money is. Perhaps the North has similar areas, however.
One other thing I've noticed is that the south has access to the downtown
via two different train lines. Why does the south have trains, and the
North doesn't? I've only been in the Denver metro for three weeks.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:16 AM

10 posts, read 10,548 times
I actually think that it is preference. To me South Denver is very clean looking and newer. North Denver is established and historical it is a completely different world up there to me. I always feel dirty and congested when I have to travel up North. Just my opinion doesn't mean it is right or wrong.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM

156 posts, read 944,225 times
I prefer the south area also, But I have friends up north that prefer it up that way. I think you have to go further north to get the same feel you do in ths south area. Just personal preference.
DTC, Inverness, and The Meridian probably keep a lot of people in the south end.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I, on the other hand, prefer the north. Broomfield, Louisville and Lafayette all have a good "sense of community". I don't see that in the southern suburbs, but I don't live there either. They look very "Suburbia, USA" to me. So do some of the communities in the immediate north such as Northglenn, Westminster, Federal Hts, etc. Just my opinion.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
The landscape on the southern and southeast edge of the Denver metro area is higher elevation and more rugged than the core of the city. Most people automatically assume that if you want to see hills and trees you have to get west into the mountains... actually if you go south and east it is semimountainous too. Castle Rock, as you mentioned is very rugged looking. A scenic drive is taking Santa Fe drive from Highlands Ranch to Castle Rock. That follows the RR you were talking about. Try taking CO-86 from Castle Rock to Franktown and then beyond to Elizabeth and Kiowa-- very scenic, kind of a transition between barren high plains and Ponderosa forests. If you go out on Smoky Hill Rd past E-470, and back through the roads east of Parker, you can get this similar feeling. You won't find anything like this north of Denver, unless you go into the mountains themselves.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 PM

50 posts, read 221,500 times
I actually prefer North Denver (I live there ) The reason south Denver has two train lines is simply because it's more populated. They have active plans to run lines up north, though, too.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 AM

287 posts, read 498,573 times
Thank you for the scenic route suggestions Vegas Pilgrim. I am from Las Vegas, NV, incidentally. I would like to go back there in the winter, but
I like my job here so I will probably stick it out. I really enjoy the DTC area.
It looks like a unique place in and of itself. KWK722 said that DTC is probably one of the things that attract people to the South Denver area. Is this
for reasons of jobs offered by the DTC? Or is there some other type of charm that attracts people to DTC? What is Inverness and The Meridian?
People have told me that Aurora is the least desirable area in the metro.
Yet from what I see it is very nice. I love the area, for example, around
Mexico and Buckley. The industrial areas up around I-70 are discouraging to me. I would like to insulate myself from them to maintain my sense of living
in a beautiful city. Unfortunately I work in that area. I suppose I will adjust
and become less sensitive to its ugliness. It is afterall an indication of commerce, right? I have never been to the West Metro. If someone could
give me a quick run down of what's good or bad about places like Lakewood
or Arvada, I would appreciate it. I live near the Cherry Creek Reservoir
so I think this has to be one of the premeir areas for bike riding, and I am
content in this neck of the woods. I live on Iliff and Havana, for the record, which is
in Aurora. I am not as close to Centennial as I had originally thought. Your comments on this area?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
The west side is hillier, as you're getting closer to the mts. We used to live in west Denver, and liked it. Lakewood is very suburban. There's no real downtown, though they're trying with some new center whose name I can't remember. Arvada is a very old suburb, used to be an independent farm town. Attractive old town, with a little downtown area. Homes get newer as you go west. Louisville and Broomfield to the NW have a good sense of community, in my opinion. There's lots of bike trails everywhere.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
Thank you for the scenic route suggestions Vegas Pilgrim. I am from Las Vegas, NV, incidentally. I would like to go back there in the winter, but
I like my job here so I will probably stick it out. I really enjoy the DTC area.
It looks like a unique place in and of itself. KWK722 said that DTC is probably one of the things that attract people to the South Denver area. Is this
for reasons of jobs offered by the DTC? Or is there some other type of charm that attracts people to DTC? What is Inverness and The Meridian?
Mexico and Buckley. The industrial areas up around I-70 are discouraging to me. I would like to insulate myself from them to maintain my sense of living
in a beautiful city. Unfortunately I work in that area. I suppose I will adjust
and become less sensitive to its ugliness. It is afterall an indication of commerce, right? I have never been to the West Metro. If someone could
give me a quick run down of what's good or bad about places like Lakewood
or Arvada, I would appreciate it. I live near the Cherry Creek Reservoir
so I think this has to be one of the premeir areas for bike riding, and I am
content in this neck of the woods. I live on Iliff and Havana, for the record, which is
in Aurora. I am not as close to Centennial as I had originally thought. Your comments on this area?
You're welcome. Actually, I'm not from Vegas, I don't live in Vegas, and I don't plan on living there-- I just like visiting there... my annual "pilgrimage." That throws a lot of people off, I know. You should get out more and explore different parts of town-- on the weekends perhaps. It will help you orient yourself to where everything is. The Denver Tech Center is a giant suburban office park south of Denver which has been steadily growing over the last several decades. Over the last 10 years it has been continuing to develop and is starting to come into its own as a quasi-urban destination. There are several high rise condo towers under construction along Belleview, not to mention a bunch of boutique, "Euro"-themed restaurants. Now with light rail going through, it's becoming an attractive place to live for young people with a lot of money (the yuppies). Property values in the neighorhoods surrounding DTC and the Cherry Creek High School area are very high.

There's nothing glitzy or glamorous about Aurora, whatsoever-- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Aurora is place where normal, middle class people can afford to live. Cherry Creek state park is a nice amenity, no doubt. BTW, you're location, Illiff & Havana is not right by the park, it's a good several miles north-- more actually, since you have to go around the dam. But yeah, you get the point. A job is a job-- if you're happy there and they're paying good money, then it shouldn't matter what part of town it's located in. I would definitely suggest exploring more of Denver on your days off so can you determine which part of town you'll eventually want to settle down in.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 944,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
KWK722 said that DTC is probably one of the things that attract people to the South Denver area. Is this
Mexico and Buckley. The industrial areas up around I-70 are discouraging to me. I live on Iliff and Havana, for the record, which is
Inverness is another business park between Dry Creek and County Line Rd., just east of I-25. Meridian is a newer business park further south, off Lincoln ave.
Some places in Aurora are a little rough but a lot of Aurora is nice. Nicer and newer as you go south or southeast.
Most areas near I-70 arent so nice until you get out of town.
Centennial has quite a stretch, I lived off of Arapahoe rd. and University blvd. which is also Centennial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver