Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:35 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

^Thanks for the info.

I do not have a fancy setup as yours.

I happen to have two TV signal amplifiers. Purchase the RCA Digital Signal Amplifier for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. I connected them in series to my antenna RCA : Antennas : ANT1700F and it worked great and gave me many more channels.

I have found that these smart TVs are not such a good buy. Most have pre-set internet connection such as netflix. Also, I do not pay for any TV or movies, since I do not watch that much TV.

I have a good digital TV and I connect a cheaper laptop to it with HDMI. The laptop runs natively 1366 resolution but connects at 1080 through HDMI. With that setup you have more capabilities than a smart TV that you can change and adapt.

I am very frugal and I have no desire to pay for movies from netflix. I have found this site which is part of my library subscription which allows streaming of free movies. https://www.hoopladigital.com/home
Yet, I really do not watch too many movies.

Internet Archives is great site for media. It has old features films movies https://archive.org/details/feature_films I enjoy more old radio shows from this site https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio Since I am a voracious reader the ebooks available are outstanding https://archive.org/details/texts Occasionally, I reminisce and watch the old
TV of my youth https://archive.org/details/classic_tv

All I want to pay is my internet connection. After that I want everything free. I belong to multiple libraries for free downloaded borrowed books. I listen to radio from all over the world on my computers. I really do not have a concern with keeping up with the fashions and what is popular in media--I prefer a time that is past in music and literature. Since much of that is not in demand by the those of today, it tends to free. Basically I live free in past and I Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-01-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM

194 posts, read 273,289 times
Thanks for more links. I don't have a smart TV either or pay for netflix. I have a few sites that stream anything, I tend not to download for obvious reasons. I might get in trouble if I post the links though.

I actually tried your RCA as it is very nice looking. No luck down here in the "sticks." The terk I mentioned has the amplifier built in but you make a good point, you need an amplifier. I recommend buying antennas local so you can take them back easily if they don't work.

Your laptop/HDMI accomplishes pretty much the same thing I do and is another way to do it. It is key (I believe) to a successful "cut the cord" lifestyle to have full internet access available to you on a large screen or TV as it mimics what we know as TV best. Either via a hard wired connection or a laptop connection. I'll admit I don't get the smart TV thing since they don't have real internet access? Like you said they seem to be a "funnel" to pay content providers.

I'm looking forward to the day the cable company goes bust. It is coming fast now as the younger generation don't subscribe. I see the day when I can buy the 5 channels I actually want. But truthfully, the TV habit is broke for me too. I don't watch or care for much so it probably won't excite me.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Jeffco isn't on Hoopla? You must belong to another library in the area as I think you live in Jeffco as well? We can do that? Looks like a great service! Thanks!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
Jeffco isn't on Hoopla? You must belong to another library in the area as I think you live in Jeffco as well? We can do that? Looks like a great service! Thanks!
I Live in Adams County part of Arvada and my home library is Rangeview, called "Anythink" and it subscribes to Hoopla anythink

I also belong to Jeffco Library, Denver Public Library and Westminster Public Library.

Most libraries allow anybody to join in the region. Denver Public Library allows anybody in the state to join.

You can also become a member of some University Libraries without being a student.

Each and every library subscribes to the same and/or different databases, media, movies, music, ebooks, audio books, magazines (zinio) etc.

There are also online libraries that are free to join such as Open Library https://openlibrary.org/

With all this, I do not need to buy anything! I have not bought a book in years and I have no need to go to the libraries, as I borrow, read and return from my computers.

I never buy magazines as Zinio is free from many libraries and once you download to your account a monthly magazine, you never have to return it. I never buy music CD, records or tapes--all want and I desire is free. I never rent movies--I have all that I need from the web, legally for free.

I never go to the movies, mainly because I dislike most modern movies and I will not spend the ridiculous high cost to make cinema actors richer. I have been to only one moving picture show, a talkie, in 12 years.

As I have said, I mostly read and the books I read are free because they are of an earlier time and no longer desired by the media junkies of today.

In addition, I find the quality of BBC radio http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ with all the content a treasure of entertainment and information without commercials. BBC radio operates like radio of the past with radio dramas and discussions on many topics. It has music from all genres. Most BBC transmission can be listened to 7 days after.

Many decades ago, American radio had their own orchestras that disappeared in this country. However, in the UK it has survived with the BBC Concert Orchestra that plays throughout the UK and broadcast on Friday with different live themes http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03zdh1b

Since I have some capabilities to read and understand, I enjoy Radio France http://www.radiofrance.fr/ und Deutsche Welle http://www.dw.de/themen/s-9077, auf Anglish http://www.dw.de/

I love to shut the lights and just listen to good quality radio and relax to a different time and place.

So, get away from the "group think" of media; explore a different path and see what is offered--you will be very much surprised what is available and you will be richer in mind and pocket.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-02-2014 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
We've been doing OTA for years. We have a small HD antenna on the roof.

I like the eye tv thing. We use tivo right now to record but be have to pay a small monthly fee for that.

My husband and son have a complicated set up on our tv as well. Plex or something like that.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
I think the Arapahoe County Library is soon to have hoopla. This will be closer to where you live, just cross the county line and join
Coming Soon Movies | Arapahoe Library District

Livecontent

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
I live on Palmer Divide and switched to antenna-only TV years ago. I don't get nearly as many channels as livecontent listed and a lot of them cut out when a train goes buy or when there's a storm. It works out ok for the amount of TV I watch but I've never been able to host a sports party here for fear that it will freeze on a frame at the most crucial moment. I usually just watch stuff on netflix of amazon anyways because all the ads are insufferable after about 30 minutes.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think the Arapahoe County Library is soon to have hoopla. This will be closer to where you live, just cross the county line and join
Coming Soon Movies | Arapahoe Library District

Livecontent
Thanks! I love Zinio too. And Overdrive, one click digital… Between all of them you are sure to find what you need. I was actually looking at Rangeview last night as they had one extra service the others in the area didn't.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Thumbs up I receive those stations too

Thank you for printing out those listings. I've been searching online for a program schedule but have yet to find one. I live 3mi NE of Parker (South side of Aurora) and receive all of those stations listed. I have a Winegard HD 8200U antenna on my roof with a inline amplifier (at the antenna) plus a rotor. I can receive most of these in one position but have to turn it towards colorado springs for some. In addition to those you listed I can receive channel 8 and channel 11 subchannels which are from colorado springs. I have a PC with a 2 tuner receiver and use Microsoft Media Center as my DVR which gives me most of the TV listings for these channels but not all, so for the lesser known stations I can't set the DVR to record anything because I don't know the schedule. For others I can be recording 2 HD channels and watch a 3rd recorded one at the same time. With over the air along with online tv programming, I have no need for cable. Media center is great. I'm so used to being able to pause live tv and then come back a little later and skip the commercials. It's also nice to be able to use my monitor for either tv or computer use.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Since I started this thread, I have made some changes and now I get even more stations. I installed a splitter to run two indoor flat antennas that go into one line connected with two inline amplifiers. I point one antenna to Lookout Mountain and the other to Denver. It works great and I never have to move the antennas. I periodically scan and there appears to be more channels added over time.

Yet, for me it is just an exercise to get free TV. I watch very little as I love to read; listen to BBC radio and old radio shows on Internet Archives. The TV is there and works but it provides very little that I cannot get quicker on the Internet. I do not have to listen to commercials. I do not want to go through the teasers to get to the weather when I can instantly view it on my computers. Also, those talking idiot heads of the local news and their one word vocabulary of Bronco this and Bronco that annoy me--I have no interest in sports and all the dribble and drools from the fans.

What is thrilling for me is that I am instantly connected to multiple public libraries and online repository of ebooks. I never buy a book because I have thousands and thousands and thousands available to read free on my reader, my tablet, my computers. I always wanted to live near a library and now I have what I always wanted--living in my virtual world near hundreds of libraries all over the world.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver